A deadly snake considered to be the world's most dangerous bit an Aussie boy. The boy continues to fight for his life in a Newscastle hospital. Police are now investigating the incident.
A 17-year-old Hunter Valley boy on Wednesday was bitten by an inland taipan, considered the world's most dangerous snake. Police would like to find out how the boy got bitten in Kurri Kurri, way too far from the taipan's natural Australian habitats.
A single drop of the taipan's venom can kill a hundred men. It can quickly cause paralysis and internal bleeding. The Hunter Valley teenager is still fighting for his life.
Suspicion arose that the boy or someone he knew may be connected to an illegal sale of snake. But police are careful not to jump to conclusion without talking to the boy first.
The boy brought the snake with him when he rushed himself to the emergency unit at Kurri Kurri Hospital. Wildlife workers identified the snake as inland taipan or "fierce snake."
The taipan can be up to 2.5 metres long. It is commonly found in western NSW, south-eastern South Australia and southern parts of the Northern Territory.
"It can kill someone within maybe 45 minutes. There have been reports of people experiencing effects of venom within half an hour as well," Australian Reptile Park's head keeper of reptiles and spiders Julie Mendezona told the Sydney Morning Herald.
The boy spoke for a short while to the police Wednesday night, but he is not yet in a stable condition. Nothing is heard yet from the boy's parents or guardians.
To contact the editor, e-mail: