Incitec Pivot Halts Plans for $650M Ammonium Nitrate Plant on Kooragang Island
By Vittorio Hernandez | September 27, 2012 9:35 AM EST
More major resources projects in Australia continued to be shelved as commodity prices remain low. The latest to be added to the list of postponed or cancelled projects is the $650-million ammonium nitrate plant of chemical giant Incitec Pivot.
Incitec placed on hold the plans to build the facility on Kooragang Island in Newcastle. It would have been built near the Orica plant in the same island.
It was supposed to produce explosives for use of the mining industry in Hunter.
Prior to the announcement of the project shelving, Stockton residents criticised the issue of an Environmental Impact Statement to the venture due to its alleged failure to address some of their concerns such as the risk of explosion as well as noise and air impacts and potential devaluation of properties.
Incitec informed the Australian Stock Exchange that it suspended the $17-million feasibility study for the plant and will postpone making a decision on it for the next two years.
The chemical firm explained its move to the expected reduction in demand for ammonium nitrate and the soaring cost of construction in Australia.
Incitec, which announced the plans for the ammonium facility in 2011, said the project failed to meet its strict financial hurdles.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Australian Stock Market Report – Midday July 23, 2014
- Major European & U.S. Airlines Cancel Flights to Israel after Rocket Attack on Tel Aviv Airport
- Australian Stock Market Report – Midday July 24, 2014
- Alibaba Okays Yahoo Request to Sell 140 Million Shares Via IPO, 68 Million to Be Sold to Shareholders
- Australian Stock Market Report –Afternoon July 24, 2014
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- HTC Google Nexus 8 Release Date Imminent with New Nexus 7 Deals, Two New Tablets Soon
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales