Incitec Pivot Halts Plans for $650M Ammonium Nitrate Plant on Kooragang Island
By Vittorio Hernandez | September 27, 2012 9:35 AM EST
More major resources projects in Australia continued to be shelved as commodity prices remain low. The latest to be added to the list of postponed or cancelled projects is the $650-million ammonium nitrate plant of chemical giant Incitec Pivot.
Incitec placed on hold the plans to build the facility on Kooragang Island in Newcastle. It would have been built near the Orica plant in the same island.
It was supposed to produce explosives for use of the mining industry in Hunter.
Prior to the announcement of the project shelving, Stockton residents criticised the issue of an Environmental Impact Statement to the venture due to its alleged failure to address some of their concerns such as the risk of explosion as well as noise and air impacts and potential devaluation of properties.
Incitec informed the Australian Stock Exchange that it suspended the $17-million feasibility study for the plant and will postpone making a decision on it for the next two years.
The chemical firm explained its move to the expected reduction in demand for ammonium nitrate and the soaring cost of construction in Australia.
Incitec, which announced the plans for the ammonium facility in 2011, said the project failed to meet its strict financial hurdles.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Unidentified Benefactor Offers $30M Reward For Identity Of MH 17 Bombers; MAS Criticises Kiwi Author For Suggesting MH 370 Pilot Plotted Death Of Passengers & Crew
- Australian Stock Market Report – Midday September 19, 2014
- Australian Stock Market Report – Afternoon September 18, 2014
- Australian Stock Market Report – Midday September 18, 2014
- Financial Intelligence Agency Suspends Sydney Remittance Firm Over Suspicions It Is Used To Finance Terrorism In Middle East
- Google Nexus 6 Release Date on Q4 2014 Confirmed by T-Mobile Featuring Wi-Fi Calling
- 2 Reasons Nexus 6 Release Date is Worth the Wait: Android L Data Encryption & Material Design
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs. BlackBerry Passport — Specifications, Features, Release Date And Price Showdown
- 3 Signs Apple iPhone 6 Could be in Short Supply Following its Sept 19 Release Date
- Australia Actively Rallying Support For International Coalition Against ISIS
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Update: Pangu Devs Will Outrace Evad3rs in Rollout of iPhone 6, iPad Unlocker
- Micromax Canvas A1 Vs Spice Dream Uno Vs Karbonn Sparkle V: A Choice On Which Android Is The Best