VIDEO Liverpool 2-1 West Brom: Highlights; Sahin Nets Brace as Reds Progress in Capital One Cup
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | September 27, 2012 7:21 AM EST
Nuri Sahin scored his first goals for Liverpool to help the holders past West Brom and into the fourth round of the Capital One Cup.
Playing in a much changed Liverpool side at the Hawthorns, the Turkish midfielder, who arrived on a season-long loan form Real Madrid last month, struck twice as the Reds came from a goal down against Steve Clarke’s side.
Liverpool boss Brendan Rodgers was still trying to breed confidence among his new charges having continued the club’s winless streak in the Premier League with defeat to Manchester United on Sunday.
But within three minutes the former Swansea manager was left downtrodden once again. With first-choice goalkeeper Pepe Reina having made a series of errors in recent times, back-up Brad Jones would have been looking to make the most of a rare start to impress and put pressure on the Spaniard for the No.1 jersey. However, the Australian went up and spilled a simple free-kick drifted in from Liam Ridgewell and defender Gabriel Tamas crashed the ball into the unguarded net.
Within 15 minutes Liverpool pulled level with another goal that owed much to a goalkeeping error. Nuri Sahin picked the ball up 30 yards from goal and took a couple of touches before striking a fine shot but one that should have been comfortably saved by Ben Foster. Unfortunately for the former England international he could only help the ball into the back of the net at his near post.
With the tie looking like it was heading to extra time, Sahin popped up once more to strike the winner eight minutes before the end of the 90 minutes. New signing Oussama Assaidi showed plenty of composure down the left of the box to pick out Sahin with a low first-time cross in to the middle and the 24-year-old slotted home.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Gay Community In Liberia Persecuted For Ebola; Church Leaders Call Virus 'Punishment' For Homosexuality
- Russia Shifts Blame On US For Ukraine Crisis, Putin Accuses West of 'Remaking World'
- Comedian Russel Brand Floats 9/11 Conspiracy Theory
- MH370 Search Update: Expert Highlights Cover Up Of Malaysia And Australia In Withholding Plane’s Recordings
- MH17 News Update: Pilot Was Targeted Right In The Stomach – Expert Alleges
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine
- Russia Slams US 'Double Standards' In The Fight Against ISIS