VIDEO Liverpool 2-1 West Brom: Highlights; Sahin Nets Brace as Reds Progress in Capital One Cup
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | September 27, 2012 7:21 AM EST
Nuri Sahin scored his first goals for Liverpool to help the holders past West Brom and into the fourth round of the Capital One Cup.
Playing in a much changed Liverpool side at the Hawthorns, the Turkish midfielder, who arrived on a season-long loan form Real Madrid last month, struck twice as the Reds came from a goal down against Steve Clarke’s side.
Liverpool boss Brendan Rodgers was still trying to breed confidence among his new charges having continued the club’s winless streak in the Premier League with defeat to Manchester United on Sunday.
But within three minutes the former Swansea manager was left downtrodden once again. With first-choice goalkeeper Pepe Reina having made a series of errors in recent times, back-up Brad Jones would have been looking to make the most of a rare start to impress and put pressure on the Spaniard for the No.1 jersey. However, the Australian went up and spilled a simple free-kick drifted in from Liam Ridgewell and defender Gabriel Tamas crashed the ball into the unguarded net.
Within 15 minutes Liverpool pulled level with another goal that owed much to a goalkeeping error. Nuri Sahin picked the ball up 30 yards from goal and took a couple of touches before striking a fine shot but one that should have been comfortably saved by Ben Foster. Unfortunately for the former England international he could only help the ball into the back of the net at his near post.
With the tie looking like it was heading to extra time, Sahin popped up once more to strike the winner eight minutes before the end of the 90 minutes. New signing Oussama Assaidi showed plenty of composure down the left of the box to pick out Sahin with a low first-time cross in to the middle and the 24-year-old slotted home.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Australian Stock Market Report – Morning October 23, 2014
- Oppo N3’s New Teaser Confirms 16 MP Rotating Camera And Fingerprint Scanner, Release Date Set For October 29
- Canada Parliament Hill Under Attack, Multiple Gunmen Shot Dead
- ‘The Young And The Restless’ Spoilers For Oct. 23: Find Out What Happens When Phyllis Meets Kelly
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Season 7: Gemma’s Dark Secret Will Remain In Her Closet
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- Virginia Woman Who Posted Naked Image Of Ex-BF’s New Partner 1st Person Charged Under Revenge Porn Law
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- Meizu MX4 Pro To Arrive In November In Black And White Colours, Features Higher Than QHD Display, Exynos 5430 SoC And 3 GB RAM
- Israel Loses A Friend in UN Security Council As New Zealand Replaces Australia