VIDEO Liverpool 2-1 West Brom: Highlights; Sahin Nets Brace as Reds Progress in Capital One Cup
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | September 27, 2012 7:21 AM EST
Nuri Sahin scored his first goals for Liverpool to help the holders past West Brom and into the fourth round of the Capital One Cup.
Playing in a much changed Liverpool side at the Hawthorns, the Turkish midfielder, who arrived on a season-long loan form Real Madrid last month, struck twice as the Reds came from a goal down against Steve Clarke’s side.
Liverpool boss Brendan Rodgers was still trying to breed confidence among his new charges having continued the club’s winless streak in the Premier League with defeat to Manchester United on Sunday.
But within three minutes the former Swansea manager was left downtrodden once again. With first-choice goalkeeper Pepe Reina having made a series of errors in recent times, back-up Brad Jones would have been looking to make the most of a rare start to impress and put pressure on the Spaniard for the No.1 jersey. However, the Australian went up and spilled a simple free-kick drifted in from Liam Ridgewell and defender Gabriel Tamas crashed the ball into the unguarded net.
Within 15 minutes Liverpool pulled level with another goal that owed much to a goalkeeping error. Nuri Sahin picked the ball up 30 yards from goal and took a couple of touches before striking a fine shot but one that should have been comfortably saved by Ben Foster. Unfortunately for the former England international he could only help the ball into the back of the net at his near post.
With the tie looking like it was heading to extra time, Sahin popped up once more to strike the winner eight minutes before the end of the 90 minutes. New signing Oussama Assaidi showed plenty of composure down the left of the box to pick out Sahin with a low first-time cross in to the middle and the 24-year-old slotted home.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- More Bad News for Android 5.0 Lollipop As Problems Come In for Nexus and Other Devices
- US To Supply Defensive Lethal Weapons To Kiev – A Vey Alarming Signal, Says Russia
- Amazon Black Friday 2014 Deals Start On Nov. 21, 2014 Including Limited-Time Lightning Deals And Deals Of The Day On Clothes, Toys, Jewelry, Watches, Bags, Accessories And Electronics
- Travel Alert: New Delta Air Lines Airbuses Could Be Seen In Australia Soon
- Walmart Canada Feeling The Heat As Grocery War Intensifies
- Travel Alert: Frequent Flyer Tie-Up Between Virgin Australia, South African Airways Enhanced
- Product Recall: Graco Recalls Baby Strollers in Canada, U.S. Due To Amputation Risks