Dallas Cowboys News: Chicago Bears' Defense Could Stunt Reeling Offensive Line
September 27, 2012 4:59 AM EST
As a Monday night showdown versus the Chicago Bears looms, the Dallas Cowboys couldn’t face a tougher opponent right now.
Dallas’ 16-10 win over the Tampa Bay Buccaneers exposed the offensive line and things could get much worse against Chicago’s defensive front.
The Bears annually field one of the league’s best defenses under head coach Lovie Smith, and are led by defensive end Julius Peppers, who has 2.5 sacks this season. Peppers, along with defensive tackle Henry Melton and defensive end Israel Idonije will exploit a jumpy Cowboys’ line that committed six penalties, including four false starts in Week Three.
Dallas running back DeMarco Murray appeared on ESPN on Wednesday and was asked how the team was preparing for Chicago.
“Just match their intensity,” Murray said. “They have a very fast defense, and are great at stopping the run.”
Murray is right on all accounts and he should be especially worried as the Bears haven’t allowed a 100-yard rushing game by any back in their last 14 games dating back to last season. Currently, Chicago is sixth in rushing defense, allowing 76 yards per game, which is just a shade under what the Cowboys have averaged on the ground this season.
After three games this season, the Bears also lead the NFL with 14 sacks and opponents only have a 24 percent success rate on third down.
The sacks will be a major problem come Monday, as protecting quarterback Tony Romo proved very difficult for the line against the Buccaneers. Romo was sacked four times and was hit another four, and as a result he coughed up two fumbles and an interception.
Dallas right tackle Doug Free was responsible for four of the line’s penalties and acknowledged his struggles.
“I haven’t pass-protected well enough,” Free said to the Dallas Morning News. “We haven’t run the ball well enough. That definitely contributes to what I’ve done,” Free said Wednesday. “I don’t think I’ve done a good enough job and we got to get it fixed.”
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Black Friday And Cyber Monday Sale 2014: AT&T's Cricket Wireless Offers Discounts On Lumia 1320, Galaxy S5, S4 And HTC Desire 510
- ISIS Kidnaps Iraqi Defence Minister’s Family, Executes Female Parliament Candidates
- '$2,000 For Sex'—Pleads Unlucky-in-Love Guy On OKCupid
- Google Joins Forces with GoPro Inc with New Google Maps Focusing on Destination
- Target Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Ad Released For Nov. 26, 2014 Includes Deals On Toys, HDTVs And Video Games Such As ‘FIFA 15’ And ‘NHL 15’ For Xbox 360 [WATCH VIDEO]
- Target’s ‘Surprise Doorbusters’ Black Friday 2014 Deals On TV Sets, Entertainment Centres, DVD Players And More
- Lumia Update Will Come Soon Confirms Microsoft