Manchester United v Newcastle United: Capital One Cup, Where to Watch Live, Preview and Teams
By Vishnuprasad S | September 26, 2012 5:57 PM EST
Manchester United welcome Premier League rivals Newcastle United to Old Trafford, for the third round of the League Cup.
Where to Watch
Kick-off is set for 7.45 pm BST. Live coverage will be available on Sky Sports 2, Sky Sports HD 2 and SKy Sports 3D.
The Red Devils have recovered strongly from the loss to Everton in the season opener by winning their last five games, both in domestic and European competitions. Meanwhile, the Magpies are also on a good run and have eight points from five league games - just two points behind third-placed Everton.
It has been 40 years since Newcastle last won a game at Old Trafford. However, Alan Pardew's side were one of only two clubs that took points at United last season and they also recorded a 3-0 win when the two sides met at St James's Park on Tyneside in January.
Sir Alex Ferguson's men are chasing their fifth League Cup title - third in the last five seasons - while Newcastle have never won the competition and were eliminated by a Premier League club in seven of the last eight seasons.
- Last five (most recent first): W W W W W
- Last Result: Liverpool 1- 2 Manchester United
- Last five (most recent first): W D D D W
- Last Result: Newcastle United 1-1 Norwich City
Manchester United: Ferguson's injury worries at the back continue, as captain Nemanja Vidic has been ruled out for two months following a knee surgery. Vidic's fellow centre-backs - Phil Jones and Chris Smalling - remain sidelined. Ashley Young is also unavailable and now there is speculation fellow winger Antonio Valencia is also injured and reportedly left United's training ground on crutches. However, Wayne Rooney, who suffered a gash against Fulham a month ago, has returned to the squad and is likely to be on the bench.
Ferguson is expected to hand midfielder Darren Fletcher his first start in almost a year as the Scotland midfielder looks to make his comeback from a chronic bowel problem. United will rotate their squad and give some of the new players and youngsters a chance. As it stands, Rio Ferdinand and Jonny Evans are the only senior players available for selection in central defence and hence the duo - who featured against Liverpool in the weekend - are likely to be rested for the League Cup, with Ferguson keeping an eye on the Premier League fixture against Tottenham Hotspur on 29 September. And that should provide an opportunity for youngsters Michael Keane and Scott Wootton. Wing-back Alex Buttner - who scored against Wigan Athletic on his debut last week - will also probably start.
Nani is likely to be rested, and in the absence of Valencia and Young, forwards Danny Welbeck and Federico Macheda could pushed into a wide role. Youngsters Larnell Cole, Robbie Brady and Bebe are also options for Ferguson. Because a number of central midfielders are in need of some game time, it's possible that Ferguson will deploy a three-man midfield, with one playing an advanced role. Fletcher is a sure bet, while Tom Cleverley, Nick Powell and Anderson will compete for the other two spots. Chicharito could start up front, while new forward Angelo Henriquez could make his debut at some point.
Newcastle United: The game has come too soon for goalkeeper Tim Krul and defender Danny Simpson to make their comeback but the duo are expected to be back in full training this week; wing-back Ryan Taylor is still definitely unavailable though. However, captain Fabricio Coloccini and anchorman Cheick Tiote could use this match to return from injuries.
Expect Rob Elliot in goal with Steve Harper rested for the next league game. James Perch, Michael Williamson and Shane Ferguson are likely to join Coloccini at the back, while youngsters Curtis Good and James Tavernier are also candidates. Pardew will rest his first-choice midfielders. One of Dan Gosling, Haris Vuckic and Gael Bigirimana could partner Tiote in the centre. Former United man Gabriel Obertan might start on one of the flanks at Old Trafford, while Sylvain Marveaux and Romain Amalfitano are in contention for the other wing.
Up front, Papiss Cisse could start, alongside Shola Ameobi, in an effort to re-ignite his goalscoring, while Xisco and Sammy Ameobi are also options for Pardew.
Probable Starting Line-up:
Manchester United: (4-2-3-1): de Gea; Rafael, Keane,Wootton, Buttner; Fletcher, Powell; Macheda, Cleverley, Welbeck; Chicharito
Newcastle United: (4-4-2): Elliot; Perch, Williamson, Coloccini, Ferguson; Obertan, Tiote, Gosling, Marveaux; Shola Ameobi, Cisse
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Season 7 Finale Spoilers: Kurt Sutter On Ending The Biker Series And Picking The Right Song For The Final Ride
- Prince Charles’ Wife Camilla Parker-Bowles In Drug Scandal - Reports
- Prince Harry Kissing Mystery Blond, Cressida Bonas & Camilla Thurlow Are Distant Memory
- St. Louis Rams 28, Seattle Seahawks 26 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao Chasing Floyd Mayweather Jr. Because Of Money But Says Undefeated American Is Afraid Of Filipino - Analysts
- Jules Bianchi Latest Update: F1 Driver's Father Says Son In A Desperate Situation
- Minnesota Timberwolves 2015-2015 NBA Preview: Wiggins-Rubio Era In Minneapolis Begins
- Floyd Mayweather Trains Justin Bieber In The Boxing Ring
- Dallas Mavericks 2015-2015 NBA Preview: Nowitzki, Ellis Has New Shooting Partner In Parsons
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Redmi Note 2 vs iPhone 6: Samsung in Danger with Depressing Q3
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch
- Russia Beefs Up Gold Reserves To Offset Heat of Sanctions And Undercut Dollar
- iPhone 6 vs Nexus 6 vs Galaxy Note 4: Performance and User Interface Comparison
- Fappening: Message Board Posters Belittle Nude Photo Leakers As D-Listers Seeking Publicity
- Fappening: Lindsay Clubine, Wife Of Boston Red Sox Pitcher Clay Buchholz, & George Sampson Of Britain’s Got Talent, Are The Latest Victims Of Celebrity Nude Leaks