Gold, Silver Shares Turn Lower, Metals Surrender Gains
By jturbin | September 26, 2012 5:37 AM EST
Gold and silver shares relinquished their earlier gains on Tuesday afternoon alongside precious metals and the broader equity markets.
The broad-based sell-off was fueled in part by commentary from Philadelphia Federal Reserve President Charles Plosser, who argued in a speech that the Fed’s third round of quantitative easing (QE3) could threaten the central bank’s credibility and is unlikely to help the U.S. economy.
The U.S. dollar recovered its earlier losses following Plosser’s remarks, which helped put pressure on the precious metals sector.
The Philadelphia Gold & Silver Index (XAU) – which rose as much as 1.7% to 192.30 this morning – fell by 1.3% to 186.74 in afternoon trading. Notable XAU components in the red included Gold Fields (GFI), Harmony Gold (HMY), and Silver Standard Resources (SSRI). GFI dropped by 2.4% to $12.78, HMY by 5.8% to $8.49, and SSRI by 2.3% to $15.46 per share.
( for more information on the sector, including rankings and analysis on over 90 gold and silver stocks, visit GoldAlert pro at http://pro.goldalert.com )
As for the metals themselves, gold futures slid from an intra-day high of $1,777.90 per ounce this morning to $1,761 later in the day for a loss of 0.2%. Silver fared slightly worse than the yellow metal, retreating from $34.54 per ounce this morning to as low as $33.72 per ounce, representing a decline of 0.4%.
Join the Conversation
- 5 Proofs Russia is Geared-Up for Shooting War with U.S. and Can Win Future Nuclear Showdown
- Target’s ‘Surprise Doorbusters’ Black Friday 2014 Deals On TV Sets, Entertainment Centres, DVD Players And More
- IKEA Black Friday 2014 Ad Includes Discounts On Home Furnishings, Appliances, Kitchen Designs, Beds, Sofas, Mattresses And Toys
- T-Mobile’s Black Friday 2014 Deals On Apple iPhone 6, Samsung Galaxy Note 4/Edge, Nexus 6, HTC One M8, LG G3, iPad Air 2 And Mini 3
- ISIS Drug Transit From Afghanistan To Europe Confirmed By Russia: Money Goes Into Terror Funding And In New Recruitments
- Bill Clinton At It Again, Caught By Camera In Jerusalem Peeking At Woman’s Breast
- Walmart Canada Black Friday 2014 Ad For Nov. 28, 2014 Up To Dec. 1, 2014 Includes Savings On The iPad Mini 16GB And The Beats Solo HD Drenched Headphones