Gold, Silver Shares Turn Lower, Metals Surrender Gains
By jturbin | September 26, 2012 5:37 AM EST
Gold and silver shares relinquished their earlier gains on Tuesday afternoon alongside precious metals and the broader equity markets.
The broad-based sell-off was fueled in part by commentary from Philadelphia Federal Reserve President Charles Plosser, who argued in a speech that the Fed’s third round of quantitative easing (QE3) could threaten the central bank’s credibility and is unlikely to help the U.S. economy.
The U.S. dollar recovered its earlier losses following Plosser’s remarks, which helped put pressure on the precious metals sector.
The Philadelphia Gold & Silver Index (XAU) – which rose as much as 1.7% to 192.30 this morning – fell by 1.3% to 186.74 in afternoon trading. Notable XAU components in the red included Gold Fields (GFI), Harmony Gold (HMY), and Silver Standard Resources (SSRI). GFI dropped by 2.4% to $12.78, HMY by 5.8% to $8.49, and SSRI by 2.3% to $15.46 per share.
( for more information on the sector, including rankings and analysis on over 90 gold and silver stocks, visit GoldAlert pro at http://pro.goldalert.com )
As for the metals themselves, gold futures slid from an intra-day high of $1,777.90 per ounce this morning to $1,761 later in the day for a loss of 0.2%. Silver fared slightly worse than the yellow metal, retreating from $34.54 per ounce this morning to as low as $33.72 per ounce, representing a decline of 0.4%.
Most Popular Slideshows
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- NFL Recap - Week 4: Green Bay Packers 38, Chicago Bears 17 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Recap: New York Giants 45, Washington Redskins 14 [PHOTOS]
- Photos Of George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin, They Get Married Again On Monday [Slideshow]
Join the Conversation
- 3 Reasons to Get the Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Instead of the iPhone 6
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- Google HTC Nexus 9 Tablet October 24 Launch Date Benefits Many
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Nexus 6: Which Smartphone Dominates
- MH 370 Search In Ocean To Intensify With Hi Tech Ships Joining The Plane Hunt From October
- Nexus 7 Tips and Tricks
- Obama’s Bid To Blame Intelligence Chief For Inaction On ISIS Backfires: McCain Asks Obama To Admit Own Mistakes