Los Angeles Lakers News: Derek Fisher to Re-Sign with L.A. after Steve Blake’s Dumb Injury?
September 26, 2012 5:00 AM EST
The Los Angeles Lakers will be without their backup point guard for the start of training camp and probably the start of the preseason.
Steve Blake injured his left foot after stepping on a spike strip in a parking lot. The veteran suffered a puncture wound and won’t be allowed to participate in any impact exercises for approximately three weeks, according to ESPN.
The injury has to be one of the more bizarre ones in recent sports history.
Several players have become infamous for injuring themselves in dumb ways, but these injuries often occur on the field of play, during a celebration. Kicker Bill Gramatica and baseball player Kendrys Morales have both notoriously badly hurt themselves while celebrating.
However, it’s very rare that a player gets injured while wearing street clothes. Most recently, New York Yankees pitcher Joba Chamberlain dislocated his ankle while jumping on a trampoline with his son. He didn’t come back from the injury until August.
With Blake sidelined, L.A. could look to bring in another player to back up Steve Nash. Long-time Laker Derek Fisher could be making a return to his former team.
Fisher worked out for Los Angeles last week, who is considering re-signing the veteran. He was dealt to the Rockets before the 2012 trade deadline and finished the season with the Oklahoma City Thunder.
The 38-year old played 13 years with the Lakers and won five championships with the club. Fisher was traded during last season, as his production declined. He averaged 5.6 points and 2.7 assists in 63 games.
L.A. also has veteran backup Chris Duhon on their roster. They acquired him in the Dwight Howard deal.
The Lakers play their first exhibition game on Sunday, Oct.7 when they take on the Golden State Warriors. They open the regular season three weeks later against the Dallas Mavericks.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
Join the Conversation
- Puerto Rico’s Barea Set To Be Cut By Minnesota Timberwolves
- Kanye West Lashes Out At The Media After Being Slammed For Wheelchair Incident In Australia
- Georges St-Pierre Hangs Out With Wrestling Legend Hulk Hogan
- Top 5 Highest Career Earning Female Golfers
- Michael Clarke Misses Train For ODIs Against Pakistan, Phil Hughes Steps In
- Pregnant Kate Middleton May Call Off Malta Trip Due To Sickness: Royal Couple Will Move To Anmer Hall Residence
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- iPhone 6 Plus vs Xiaomi Mi4 – The iPhone Killer Certainly Can Battle Well With The New Apple Phablet
- Ukraine Crisis: Poland Denies Supplying Weapons To Kiev
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Countdown Begins Oct 8: 8 Killer Specs and Features to Expect
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MF 370: Indonesian Police Chief Claims He Knows What Happened To Missing Jet
- HTC Desire 820 (Octa-Core) vs. Sony Xperia Z3 Compact – Specifications, Features, Release Date And Price Showdown