Los Angeles Lakers News: Derek Fisher to Re-Sign with L.A. after Steve Blake’s Dumb Injury?
September 26, 2012 5:00 AM EST
The Los Angeles Lakers will be without their backup point guard for the start of training camp and probably the start of the preseason.
Steve Blake injured his left foot after stepping on a spike strip in a parking lot. The veteran suffered a puncture wound and won’t be allowed to participate in any impact exercises for approximately three weeks, according to ESPN.
The injury has to be one of the more bizarre ones in recent sports history.
Several players have become infamous for injuring themselves in dumb ways, but these injuries often occur on the field of play, during a celebration. Kicker Bill Gramatica and baseball player Kendrys Morales have both notoriously badly hurt themselves while celebrating.
However, it’s very rare that a player gets injured while wearing street clothes. Most recently, New York Yankees pitcher Joba Chamberlain dislocated his ankle while jumping on a trampoline with his son. He didn’t come back from the injury until August.
With Blake sidelined, L.A. could look to bring in another player to back up Steve Nash. Long-time Laker Derek Fisher could be making a return to his former team.
Fisher worked out for Los Angeles last week, who is considering re-signing the veteran. He was dealt to the Rockets before the 2012 trade deadline and finished the season with the Oklahoma City Thunder.
The 38-year old played 13 years with the Lakers and won five championships with the club. Fisher was traded during last season, as his production declined. He averaged 5.6 points and 2.7 assists in 63 games.
L.A. also has veteran backup Chris Duhon on their roster. They acquired him in the Dwight Howard deal.
The Lakers play their first exhibition game on Sunday, Oct.7 when they take on the Golden State Warriors. They open the regular season three weeks later against the Dallas Mavericks.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Phil Jackson: ‘Carmelo Anthony Is Knicks’ Only Certified All-Star’
- Sony Xperia E1 20.1.A.2.13 Firmware Update Rolls Out In Asia, Europe And Middle East
- Kanye West Takes Kim Kardashian On A Surprise Birthday Trip To Hawaii And Gushes About Her On Twitter
- Roger Federer And Grigor Dimitrov To Play In An Exhibition Match At Madison Square Garden, Both Players Through To The Second Round Of Swiss Indoors
- New PS4 Bundles and Games Are Coming Out Alongside a 2-Week Halloween Sale
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- Virginia Woman Who Posted Naked Image Of Ex-BF’s New Partner 1st Person Charged Under Revenge Porn Law
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- Meizu MX4 Pro To Arrive In November In Black And White Colours, Features Higher Than QHD Display, Exynos 5430 SoC And 3 GB RAM
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report