Los Angeles Lakers News: Derek Fisher to Re-Sign with L.A. after Steve Blake’s Dumb Injury?
September 26, 2012 5:00 AM EST
The Los Angeles Lakers will be without their backup point guard for the start of training camp and probably the start of the preseason.
Steve Blake injured his left foot after stepping on a spike strip in a parking lot. The veteran suffered a puncture wound and won’t be allowed to participate in any impact exercises for approximately three weeks, according to ESPN.
The injury has to be one of the more bizarre ones in recent sports history.
Several players have become infamous for injuring themselves in dumb ways, but these injuries often occur on the field of play, during a celebration. Kicker Bill Gramatica and baseball player Kendrys Morales have both notoriously badly hurt themselves while celebrating.
However, it’s very rare that a player gets injured while wearing street clothes. Most recently, New York Yankees pitcher Joba Chamberlain dislocated his ankle while jumping on a trampoline with his son. He didn’t come back from the injury until August.
With Blake sidelined, L.A. could look to bring in another player to back up Steve Nash. Long-time Laker Derek Fisher could be making a return to his former team.
Fisher worked out for Los Angeles last week, who is considering re-signing the veteran. He was dealt to the Rockets before the 2012 trade deadline and finished the season with the Oklahoma City Thunder.
The 38-year old played 13 years with the Lakers and won five championships with the club. Fisher was traded during last season, as his production declined. He averaged 5.6 points and 2.7 assists in 63 games.
L.A. also has veteran backup Chris Duhon on their roster. They acquired him in the Dwight Howard deal.
The Lakers play their first exhibition game on Sunday, Oct.7 when they take on the Golden State Warriors. They open the regular season three weeks later against the Dallas Mavericks.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- 'Furious 7' Star Jordana Brewster Reveals Paul Walker's 'Bittersweet' Presence In the Film: Says 'Fans Would Get To Revisit Him'
- 'Fury' Movie Review: Best And Worst Moments Of The Film [WATCH VIDEO]
- Arsenal FC: Gunners Legend Robert Pires Knows Wenger's 'Missing Piece' To Win Silverware
- Bruce Jenner Gets Rid of Bizarre Birthday Manicure For Lunch Out With His Daughters
- Liverpool FC: Reds Striker Daniel Sturridge Looks To Score Goals Upon Return
- Marvel Announces Release Dates Of 11 Upcoming Movies From 2015 To 2019
- Xiaomi Becomes World’s Third Largest Smartphone Manufacturer By Dethroning Huawei
- Entry Of Peshmerga Fighters From Iraq Boosts The Kobani Battle Against ISIS: Turkey Provides Transit
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Nexus 6, 9 Buyers on November Release Will Enjoy These 3 Killer Lollipop 5.0 Features First
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight
- Woman Hanged In Iran Talks Abuse In Prison, Left Chilling Message To Family