Los Angeles Lakers News: Derek Fisher to Re-Sign with L.A. after Steve Blake’s Dumb Injury?
September 26, 2012 5:00 AM EST
The Los Angeles Lakers will be without their backup point guard for the start of training camp and probably the start of the preseason.
Steve Blake injured his left foot after stepping on a spike strip in a parking lot. The veteran suffered a puncture wound and won’t be allowed to participate in any impact exercises for approximately three weeks, according to ESPN.
The injury has to be one of the more bizarre ones in recent sports history.
Several players have become infamous for injuring themselves in dumb ways, but these injuries often occur on the field of play, during a celebration. Kicker Bill Gramatica and baseball player Kendrys Morales have both notoriously badly hurt themselves while celebrating.
However, it’s very rare that a player gets injured while wearing street clothes. Most recently, New York Yankees pitcher Joba Chamberlain dislocated his ankle while jumping on a trampoline with his son. He didn’t come back from the injury until August.
With Blake sidelined, L.A. could look to bring in another player to back up Steve Nash. Long-time Laker Derek Fisher could be making a return to his former team.
Fisher worked out for Los Angeles last week, who is considering re-signing the veteran. He was dealt to the Rockets before the 2012 trade deadline and finished the season with the Oklahoma City Thunder.
The 38-year old played 13 years with the Lakers and won five championships with the club. Fisher was traded during last season, as his production declined. He averaged 5.6 points and 2.7 assists in 63 games.
L.A. also has veteran backup Chris Duhon on their roster. They acquired him in the Dwight Howard deal.
The Lakers play their first exhibition game on Sunday, Oct.7 when they take on the Golden State Warriors. They open the regular season three weeks later against the Dallas Mavericks.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- In Photos, Typhoon Rammasun Blasts the Philippines
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal Beats Pau Gasol as Spain’s Most Popular Personality
- Roger Federer Regains Deadly Service Game - Andy Roddick
- Anna Meares: Five Things to Know About Australia’s Flag Bearer in the 2014 Commonwealth Games
- Viral Video: Millions View YouTube Clip Using Like a Girl Phrase as a Compliment than an Insult [WATCH VIDEO]
- White Collar Season 6: Matt Bomer Reveals it's ‘The Pink Panthers’ Storyline in Final Season
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Soon Along with 2 More HTC Android Tablets – Reports
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Sony PlayStation 4 Outsells a Resurgent Xbox One in June
- Killer Xiaomi Mi4 at $369 Likely to Come With 5.0-Inch Display, Snapdragon 801 Processor, 3GB RAM and More