Samsung Galaxy Ace S5830 users can finally enjoy the goodness of custom Android 4.1.1 Jelly Bean update with AOKP Jellaxy ROM. Thanks to the industrious efforts of Android developers, older Galaxy devices have grabbed the spotlight with regular custom ROM ICS and Jelly Bean updates. Android users no longer have to upgrade their hardware to support the latest Android OS onboard.
As with every custom ROM under development, the AOKP based Jellaxy firmware has some known untested bugs and broken features. Here is the complete list of known bugs and broken features (not working), as cited by the developer:
- Camera functions
- Live Wallpapers
- Native USB tethering
- Native Wifi tethering
- HQ Video Playback
Key Points to Note
- The ROM and the instructions provided in this guide are compatible only with the Samsung Galaxy Ace S5830 model and will not work with any other device. Verify your device's model number by navigating to Settings > About phone.
- IBTimes UK advises users to backup apps, important data and settings to avoid data loss while installing the AOKP Jellaxy based Jelly Bean update.
- The instructions provided in this guide are meant for reference purpose only and do not cover any warranty claims involving device damage or issues arising out of using this custom ROM Android 4.1.1 update. Users are advised to proceed at their own risk.
- Ensure that the correct USB drivers are installed for your Galaxy Ace to enable connectivity with the computer. Download Samsung Galaxy Ace USB drivers.
- Enable USB debugging mode which helps connect your Android phone to the computer.
- Verify that your phone battery is fully charged or holds at least 85 percent charge to avoid unexpected device shutdown (due to battery drain) while flashing the custom ROM or installing Jelly Bean updates.
- Make sure that your phone's bootloader is factory unlocked and rooted. Also, confirm that ClockworkMod recovery is installed on it before proceeding with the AOKP Jellaxy ROM installation procedure.
How to Update Galaxy Ace S5830 to Android 4.1.1 Jelly Bean with AOKP Jellaxy ROM
Step 1 - Download Android 4.1.1 AOKP Jellaxy ROM for Galaxy Ace on your computer.
Step 2 - Connect and mount your Galaxy Ace USB mass storage on your computer with an USB cable.
Step 3 - Copy the AOKP Jellaxy ROM zip file to the root folder on your phone's SD card.
Step 4 - Power off your phone and boot into recovery mode.
Step 5 - To do this, Power on the phone while pressing and holding the Menu and Power buttons.
Step 6 - Follow the onscreen navigational instructions and finally choose Bootloader and progress into Recovery.
Step 7 - Once you enter ClockworkMod recovery, perform wipe data first. Browse and select the flash zip from SD card option and hit the Power button to begin the recovery process.
Step 8 - Tap the Power button again and click choose zip from sdcard.
Step 9 - Browse and locate the Android 4.1.1 ROM zip file, using the volume keys. Then, press the Power button to select it. Confirm the ROM installation on next screen and let the install process begin.
Step 10 - After the ROM is installed, hit Go Back and click reboot system now from the recovery menu. The phone will start rebooting and the first boot may take about 5 minutes. So, please be patient.
AOKP Jellaxy based Android 4.1.1 Jelly Bean is now installed on your Galaxy Ace S5830. Go to Settings > About phone to verify the firmware version installed.
[Source: Team Android]
To contact the editor, e-mail: