Who Are The Bad Guys? Mexican Navy Busts Crooked Cops On Drug Cartel's Payroll
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | September 25, 2012 5:55 AM EST
The Mexican military has arrested 35 police officers suspected of having ties to the Zetas drug cartel, one of the country’s most powerful and violent criminal organizations.
The officers were arrested in operations carried out by the Mexican Naval Infantry, or Marines, Saturday in the eastern states of Veracruz and San Luis Potosi.
“They were all police officers in the Veracruz public security department and allegedly collaborated with the Zetas criminal organization," the Navy said in a statement, the BBC reported.
The Zetas, formed from a group of former Mexican Army special forces that originally served as enforcers for the Gulf cartel before becoming independent, have been active in Veracruz, a key transit point for drug trafficking into the U.S., and have been engaged in a brutal turf war with rival cartels.
Since last year, thousands of federal officers and members of the armed forces have been deployed in Veracruz.
The navy has taken over anti-narcotics duties from police in several municipalities in Veracruz over concerns of corruption as many police officers are on cartel payrolls.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Israel''s Al Aqsa and East Jerusalem Issues Threatening Its Multi Billion Gas Deal With Jordan
- Eurozone Indicators Forewarn Imminent Recession: Germany's Manufacturing Sector Slows
- Prince Charles to Reshape Monarchy When He Becomes King – Report
- Andrew Robb Asks Obama Not to ‘Lecture’ Australia on Climate Change
- New Zealand's Anti-Terror Law is Ready For Debate In Parliament : PM Releases Final Draft
- Russia's New Tactical Nuclear Weapons Program Growing Confident Against the US: Talks of World War III
- Apple and Google Engage in Thermonuclear War, New Google Translate Chat App in the Works
- Walmart Offers the Best 2014 Black Friday Deals on iPhone 6, iPad Ai2 & Other Gadgets – Reports
- Update Samsung Galaxy S5 to Android 4.4.4 KitKat, Sprint Release and Installation
- More Nexus 6 Problems Arise with Android 5.0 Lollipop, Poor Benchmark Results and Other Issues
- HTC One M8 Android 5.0 Lollipop Release Delayed: Other Schedule and Installation Guide
- Highest Paid NBA Players 2014: NBA Stars Who Earn More Than LeBron James