VIDEO Real Madrid 2-0 Rayo Vallecano: Highlights; Ronaldo Penalty Secures Three Points for Los Blancos
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | September 25, 2012 5:47 AM EST
Real Madrid secured their first away win of the season with a 2-0 victory over Rayo Vallecano at Vallecas. The match finally got going on Monday night in the neighborhood of Madrid after an act of sabotage saw cables cut and the floodlights go out forcing the match to be postponed the previous day.
Karim Benzema put Real ahead in the local derby after just 13 minutes before Cristiano Ronaldo all-but secured victory as he converted a penalty 20 minutes from time.
The result was crucial for Real after they had fallen 11 points behind Barcelona, having already suffered two defeats to begin the defense of their La Liga title.
After Real coach Jose Mourinho controversially left out Sergio Ramos against Manchester City last time out, the Spanish defender was back in the lineup against Rayo. Luka Modric and Karim Benzema also came into the team, having impressed as substitutes in the comeback victory in the Champions League.
Benzema quickly repaid his manager’s faith. Ronaldo broke down the left and laid the ball forward to the onrushing Angel Di Maria, who took his time before producing a teasing low cross that evaded Rayo goalkeeper Ruben and found Benzema with the simple task to tap home.
Rayo fought valiantly to try and end an dismal eight match losing streak to their illustrious neighbors, but their resistance was effectively ended in the 70th minute. Ronaldo passed into the middle and the ball came off the hand of Jordi Amat, with the referee pointing to the spot. The Portuguese forward displayed his usual composure as he stepped forward and sent the goalkeeper the wrong way for his fifth goal of the season.
As Rayo pushed forward for a way back into the game in the closing stages, Real could and should have added to their lead. The best chance fell to Ronaldo, who, with a chance laid on a plate by substitute Gonzalo Higuain, somehow contrived to completely mishit his shot with an open goal at his mercy.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Kate Middleton's Pregnancy Hearsays: Possible Evidence Revealed [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
- Selena Gomez Turns 22 Today, Celebrates Early without Justin Bieber: Top 12 Interesting Facts About the Singer [SEE PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- ‘The Notebook’ Star Rachel McAdams on Ex-Boyfriend Ryan Gosling’s ‘Hey Girl’ Meme [VIDEO]
- Lea Michele Hot and Heavy PDA with Boyfriend Matthew Paetz: Glee Star Moving on From Cory Monteith
- Australian Michael Rogers Wins Stage 16 of Tour de France 2014
- Tour de France 2014 Live Streaming: Stage 17 Prediction, Standings and Results
- iPhone 6 2014 Release Date Very Soon as Apple Orders 120M New iPhones from Foxconn – Report
- Google Nexus 6 on Release Date Will Sport 2K Display Panel & Lower Price Tag – Report
- Motorola Moto G Vs. Xiaomi Mi3 – Low in Price, High -level Features
- Sony PlayStation 4 Outsells a Resurgent Xbox One in June
- Killer Xiaomi Mi4 at $369 Likely to Come With 5.0-Inch Display, Snapdragon 801 Processor, 3GB RAM and More
- End of Times Indicators: Japan’s Mount Fuji in ‘Critical State’ to Erupt, Could Affect At Least 1.2M People
- Raining Discounts: $100 Price Cut on Moto X; LG G3 Available for $100 On-Contract; Sony Xperia Z2 on Release Date Gets $50 Price Cut (U.S.)