Apple's fans lined up outside its stores last week to grab the new iPhone 5.
The news that company's smartphone garnered immense sales and pre-orders, further increasing the hype for the new device.
Lots of Apple fans patiently formed a line overnight to finally purchase the new smartphone this morning. Australia's proximity to the dateline means those who were first through the doors at 8am were the first to access the device, when it the market last week.
At Apple's flagship store in George Street in Sydney, it appears the cult of Apple had lost none of its charm since the death of Steve Jobs. The iPhone 5 is proved to be popular to the fans. The queue extended from the store on George Street, briefly up King Street before snaking down York Street, jumping the road and continuing on for another 100m.
Apple unveiled its latest smartphone in San Francisco at the Yerba Buena Center for Arts, and has the entire tech world watching to see the next generation iPhone. Some of its amazing features are 4G/LTE connectivity, 4-inch screen display and new operating system.
However, purchasing the new iPhone 5 is not the best decision that you can make. Below are the five reasons why you should not buy the new iPhone 5.
- Nothing surprising - Yes, iPhone 5 included new designs and features such as the slightly larger screen display and faster processor. Apple claimed that the new phone supports the fast 4G/LTE connection, which is not available everywhere. However, there is nothing surprising or revolutionary about the new smartphone from Apple.
- iOS 6 - The new software that comes with iPhone 5, iOS 6, will also be available in previous iPhones. Thus, you will also be able to enjoy some of the new features of the new phone anchored on the iOS 6 like iOS maps and Siri.
- Cost - The new iPhone is pretty expensive. With minimal changes made, it costs as much as the iPhone 4S. Unlocked iPhone 5 costs $649 and goes up to $849 for a model with 64 gigabytes of storage. Buying an iPhone 5 through carriers will bind you with a two-year contract and will cost you more.
- New dock connector - iPhone 5 finally let go of its prehistoric 30-pin connector and replaced with a smaller dock connector. New connector means new adapter for accessories. Thus, you will need to invest again in new accessories that will be compatible with this new feature of the smartphone.
- Other smartphones - There are a lot of other smartphones in the tech market that are cheaper and offers a lot more features compared to the iPhone 5. Due to the intense competition in the smartphone market, people have a lot of options to fit their needs.
To contact the editor, e-mail: