Elisabeth Shue Dishes On Working With Jennifer Lawrence in ‘House at the End of the Street’
September 24, 2012 12:58 AM EST
Elisabeth Shue, best known as the "girl next door" in 1980s blockbusters like “The Karate Kid” and the second and third “Back to the Future” movies, makes a return to the silver screen in the horror film “House at the End of the Street.” And the actress had some surprising words about her co-star Jennifer Lawrence.
In “House at the End of the Street,” the 48-year-old actress plays Sarah, a newly single mother who decides to relocate herself and her teenage daughter Elissa (Lawrence) to a new home in rural Pennsylvania – ominously located next door to a house where a brutal double murder took place.
The only surviving resident of the house turns out to be a loner teenage boy named Ryan (Max Thrieriot) whose younger sister murdered both of their parents before fleeing and allegedly drowning, never to be found again.
When Elissa strikes up a romance with Ryan, Sarah unsuccessfully tries to step in and prevent things from getting too serious. “Sometimes people can’t be fixed,” Sarah counsels Elissa in the film, to no avail.
But if Shue has any real-life motherly words of guidance for her younger co-star, she seems hesitant to dispatch them. In an interview with Entertainment Weekly, Shue said that upon meeting the "Hunger Games" star for the first time she was immediately impressed by her maturity, adding that Lawrence was “much more mature than I was [at that age].”
“In real life, it was very interesting meeting Jennifer for the first time, because she is incredibly grown up for her age. It was nice that the second I met her, I was like, ‘Oh, this dynamic is going to be perfect,’” said Shue. “It was great working with her. She's really warm and generous. She also had a great sense of humor.”
Shue, who got her start at around the same age as Lawrence by working on commercials, said she thinks Lawrence has already moved past that stage in her career. "What I realize is just how different really our beginnings were," said Shue, adding that Lawrence is “much stronger, much more sure of herself.”
"I feel like it took me years to gain a certain confidence, a foothold in this business, and really understand it. I feel like she is so knowledgeable and confident and sure of herself that I think her road will be easier."
“The House at the End of the Street” was released on Sept. 21 and is currently out in theaters. Shue is currently at work on another film, a comedy titled “Feed the Dog,” with Selena Gomez, Heather Graham, and Mary-Louise Parker.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Ian Somerhalder Girlfriend: 'Twilight' Actress Nikki Reed Heads Back To Los Angeles Solo, Spotted Partying With Michelle Rodriguez At A Fashion Event
- Brad Pitt Forced To Talk About Ex-Wife Jennifer Aniston: Asked to Compare Wife Angelina Jolie With Rachel From 'Friends'
- ‘Big Brother Australia’ Evictee Jason Rose Opens Up About His Family’s Acceptance of His Sexuality, Cat and Lawson’s Illicit Love Affair [VIDEO]
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Oct. 24, 2014: Katie Spills Ridge's Secret Plan While Eric's Announcement Causes A Huge Furor [WATCH VIDEO]
- ‘The Young And The Restless’ Spoilers For Oct. 23: Find Out What Happens When Phyllis Meets Kelly
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- Android Lollipop 5.0 Confirmed for Nov 3 Rollout as Nexus 6 Global Release Date is Delayed – Reports