Liverpool Keeping Tabs on Croatian Midfielder - Report
By Vishnuprasad S | September 22, 2012 8:40 PM EST
Liverpool are reported to be monitoring Dinamo Zagreb midfielder Marcelo Brozovic, and the Reds sent scouts to watch the 19-year-old play in the Croatian side's 2-0 defeat to Porto in the Champions League, reports the Daily Mirror. The youngster has only just signed a six-year contract , but it is understood that Zagreb are open to selling the player next season, should their valuation be met.
Meanwhile, Brendan Rodgers is also keeping tabs on Malaga's Isco and Athletic Bilbao's Ander Herrera, according to the Daily Mail. Isco (who was also targeted by Spurs and Manchester United) could be available on a cut-price deal owing to his club's financial crisis, while Herrera is valued at £16m.
Rodgers Hopes for Peaceful Day
Matches between the two sides have long been emotionally charged affairs. However, this time the focus of this widely anticipated Premier League clash will be on events before (and possibly after) the kick-off as both sides pay tribute to the victims of the Hillsborough disaster. United's visit will be the Reds' first home game since the publication of the Hillsborough report, which established that Liverpool fans were blameless for the 1989 tragedy.
"There has been dialogue all week. There is respect in terms of the traditions of both clubs. We want this day to be remembered for the right reasons before the game. I am sure once we pay the tributes to the families we can get on with the football. A lot of work has been done and hopefully Sunday will pass off peacefully and well and we can talk about the tributes and football," the BBC quoted Rodgers as saying.
Another sub-plot in the encounter will be the Luis Suarez - Patrice Evra dual. In the reverse fixture last season, the Liverpool forward refused to shake the hand of the United defender, following a much-publicised race row.
United manager Sir Alex Ferguson has written an open letter to United supporters calling for an end to all tasteless chants and urging fans to be on their best behaviour during the visit.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal Back In Action To Target Novak Djokovic At China Open
- Bruce Jenner Says Lamar Odom Should Follow His Heart If He Wants To Get Back Together With Khloe Kardashian
- Maria Sharapova On Relationship With Grigor Dimitrov: ‘Everything Is Great’; Dimitrov Was Present At Sharapova’s First Round Match In China
- Green Bay Packers Vs. Chicago Bears Live Streaming Info And Preview
- Grigor Dimitrov Turns To Novak Djokovic For Love Advice; Dimitrov and Sharapova At The 2014 China Open
- Forget Nexus 6 Release Date, Android Phones Will Soon Showcase Pure Google Apps & Features
- Boxing News 2014: Social Media War Between Boxers Continues As Pacquiao Repeats Comment That Mayweather Acts Like Uneducated Person, While Ignoring ‘Miss Pac Man’ Post
- Galaxy Note 4 Pre Order Starts in the US, Get Samsung Note Ahead of October 14 Release
- $249.99 Motorola Moto 360 Smartwatch's First Promo Out; 'Stone Leather' Replaces 'Gray Leather' - Available In BestBuy [Watch Video]
- BlackBerry Passport Sold Out As Preorders Reached 200,000
- iOS 8 And iOS 8.0.2 Security Flaw Revealed, Anyone Can Easily Bypass Touch ID And Passcode Security Features
- Australia Cracks Down On International Money Laundering Syndicate