Liverpool Keeping Tabs on Croatian Midfielder - Report
By Vishnuprasad S | September 22, 2012 8:40 PM EST
Liverpool are reported to be monitoring Dinamo Zagreb midfielder Marcelo Brozovic, and the Reds sent scouts to watch the 19-year-old play in the Croatian side's 2-0 defeat to Porto in the Champions League, reports the Daily Mirror. The youngster has only just signed a six-year contract , but it is understood that Zagreb are open to selling the player next season, should their valuation be met.
Meanwhile, Brendan Rodgers is also keeping tabs on Malaga's Isco and Athletic Bilbao's Ander Herrera, according to the Daily Mail. Isco (who was also targeted by Spurs and Manchester United) could be available on a cut-price deal owing to his club's financial crisis, while Herrera is valued at £16m.
Rodgers Hopes for Peaceful Day
Matches between the two sides have long been emotionally charged affairs. However, this time the focus of this widely anticipated Premier League clash will be on events before (and possibly after) the kick-off as both sides pay tribute to the victims of the Hillsborough disaster. United's visit will be the Reds' first home game since the publication of the Hillsborough report, which established that Liverpool fans were blameless for the 1989 tragedy.
"There has been dialogue all week. There is respect in terms of the traditions of both clubs. We want this day to be remembered for the right reasons before the game. I am sure once we pay the tributes to the families we can get on with the football. A lot of work has been done and hopefully Sunday will pass off peacefully and well and we can talk about the tributes and football," the BBC quoted Rodgers as saying.
Another sub-plot in the encounter will be the Luis Suarez - Patrice Evra dual. In the reverse fixture last season, the Liverpool forward refused to shake the hand of the United defender, following a much-publicised race row.
United manager Sir Alex Ferguson has written an open letter to United supporters calling for an end to all tasteless chants and urging fans to be on their best behaviour during the visit.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Dionesian ‘Hex’: Pacquiao’s Secret Weapon Behind His 8 Titles
- Manny Pacquiao vs. Chris Algieri Betting Odds: American Knockout Of Filipino Pays $10,000 From A $100 Bet
- Arum Says Pacquiao's Victory vs Algieri May Cause Mayweather To Say ‘No’ To Dream Match
- Brooklyn Nets Agree to Grant Andrei Kirilenko Indefinite Leave of Absence
- Freddie Roach Asks Manny Pacquiao Not To Beat Up Algieri Too Badly So Mayweather Will Not Be Scared And Agree To Super Fight
- Apple and Google Engage in Thermonuclear War, New Google Translate Chat App in the Works
- Russia's New Tactical Nuclear Weapons Program Growing Confident Against the US: Talks of World War III
- Update Samsung Galaxy S5 to Android 4.4.4 KitKat, Sprint Release and Installation
- More Nexus 6 Problems Arise with Android 5.0 Lollipop, Poor Benchmark Results and Other Issues
- HTC One M8 Android 5.0 Lollipop Release Delayed: Other Schedule and Installation Guide
- Israel''s Al Aqsa and East Jerusalem Issues Threatening Its Multi Billion Gas Deal With Jordan
- Eurozone Indicators Forewarn Imminent Recession: Germany's Manufacturing Sector Slows