Liverpool Keeping Tabs on Croatian Midfielder - Report
By Vishnuprasad S | September 22, 2012 8:40 PM EST
Liverpool are reported to be monitoring Dinamo Zagreb midfielder Marcelo Brozovic, and the Reds sent scouts to watch the 19-year-old play in the Croatian side's 2-0 defeat to Porto in the Champions League, reports the Daily Mirror. The youngster has only just signed a six-year contract , but it is understood that Zagreb are open to selling the player next season, should their valuation be met.
Meanwhile, Brendan Rodgers is also keeping tabs on Malaga's Isco and Athletic Bilbao's Ander Herrera, according to the Daily Mail. Isco (who was also targeted by Spurs and Manchester United) could be available on a cut-price deal owing to his club's financial crisis, while Herrera is valued at £16m.
Rodgers Hopes for Peaceful Day
Matches between the two sides have long been emotionally charged affairs. However, this time the focus of this widely anticipated Premier League clash will be on events before (and possibly after) the kick-off as both sides pay tribute to the victims of the Hillsborough disaster. United's visit will be the Reds' first home game since the publication of the Hillsborough report, which established that Liverpool fans were blameless for the 1989 tragedy.
"There has been dialogue all week. There is respect in terms of the traditions of both clubs. We want this day to be remembered for the right reasons before the game. I am sure once we pay the tributes to the families we can get on with the football. A lot of work has been done and hopefully Sunday will pass off peacefully and well and we can talk about the tributes and football," the BBC quoted Rodgers as saying.
Another sub-plot in the encounter will be the Luis Suarez - Patrice Evra dual. In the reverse fixture last season, the Liverpool forward refused to shake the hand of the United defender, following a much-publicised race row.
United manager Sir Alex Ferguson has written an open letter to United supporters calling for an end to all tasteless chants and urging fans to be on their best behaviour during the visit.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Getting Serious With Jennifer Lawrence, Actress Joining Coldplay Tour [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- 2014 FIBA World Cup Live Streaming Info: Spain vs. Iran Preview, Starting Lineups
- 2014 FIBA World Cup Group B: Greece vs. Philippines Live Streaming Info, Betting Odds and Preview
- 2014 FIBA Basketball World Cup Live Streaming Info: USA vs. Turkey Preview, Starting Lineups [VIDEO]
- 2014 FIBA World Cup Live Streaming Info: USA vs. Finland Preview, Starting Lineups [VIDEO]
- Arsenal FC Transfer News: Wenger's Take on Falcao and Rabiot
- Apple iPhone 6 Actual Release Date after September 9 Confirmed 128GB Variant with New Resolution
- Moto G2 Release Roundup: Specs, Pricing, and Release Date Details
- PlayStation 4 Killing Xbox One Costing Microsoft Millions But It's Fine
- Google Chrome 64-bit for Windows 8 and Window 7 with Mac Beta Available
- Apple iOS 8 vs Android 5.0 L: OS Wars Puts Android to Lower while Apple to Higher
- Nexus 6 on Release Date Confirmed with Phablet-Size Display as FCC Filing Hints of 5.9-Inch Screen
- Google Can Kill Samsung with Android KitKat and Android One: Here's How