Liverpool Keeping Tabs on Croatian Midfielder - Report
By Vishnuprasad S | September 22, 2012 8:40 PM EST
Liverpool are reported to be monitoring Dinamo Zagreb midfielder Marcelo Brozovic, and the Reds sent scouts to watch the 19-year-old play in the Croatian side's 2-0 defeat to Porto in the Champions League, reports the Daily Mirror. The youngster has only just signed a six-year contract , but it is understood that Zagreb are open to selling the player next season, should their valuation be met.
Meanwhile, Brendan Rodgers is also keeping tabs on Malaga's Isco and Athletic Bilbao's Ander Herrera, according to the Daily Mail. Isco (who was also targeted by Spurs and Manchester United) could be available on a cut-price deal owing to his club's financial crisis, while Herrera is valued at £16m.
Rodgers Hopes for Peaceful Day
Matches between the two sides have long been emotionally charged affairs. However, this time the focus of this widely anticipated Premier League clash will be on events before (and possibly after) the kick-off as both sides pay tribute to the victims of the Hillsborough disaster. United's visit will be the Reds' first home game since the publication of the Hillsborough report, which established that Liverpool fans were blameless for the 1989 tragedy.
"There has been dialogue all week. There is respect in terms of the traditions of both clubs. We want this day to be remembered for the right reasons before the game. I am sure once we pay the tributes to the families we can get on with the football. A lot of work has been done and hopefully Sunday will pass off peacefully and well and we can talk about the tributes and football," the BBC quoted Rodgers as saying.
Another sub-plot in the encounter will be the Luis Suarez - Patrice Evra dual. In the reverse fixture last season, the Liverpool forward refused to shake the hand of the United defender, following a much-publicised race row.
United manager Sir Alex Ferguson has written an open letter to United supporters calling for an end to all tasteless chants and urging fans to be on their best behaviour during the visit.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
Join the Conversation
- Jeremy Lin, Chandler Parsons React To 'Role Players' Label By James Harden
- 2014 Commonwealth Games Medal Tally: Games are Through Day 5 and Australia Continues to Dominate Count; Day 5 Highlights
- Roger Federer Not That Good If Different Surfaces Were To Exist – Giles Simon
- Commonwealth Games 2014 Live Stream: Athletics, Swimming Schedule & Results
- Dan Bilzerian Opens Up to Howard Stern, Poker Pro Admits He Once Had Sex with 16 Women in 12 Days
- Google Nexus 6, 8 with Android L on Release Date Promises Killer Mobile Device Experience
- iPhone 6 Release Date Relevance to iOS Newbies: Specs Meaning, Price Considerations
- Travel at Own Risk; Emirates, Qantas Differ on Flying over Iraq Warzone; Emirates Reroutes, Qantas Pushes On
- CCTV Footage Captured Children Being Beaten To Sleep And Physically Abused Inside Nursery
- Nexus 6 Likely Confirmed as Motorola 5.9-Inch Phablet on Release Date – Report