Liverpool Transfer News: Drogba, Sturridge, Agger and Brozovic Involved in Latest Speculation
By Jason Le Miere | September 22, 2012 6:10 AM EST
Liverpool could be set to reignite their interest in Chelsea forward Daniel Sturridge in January following reports that the England international has become increasingly unhappy at Stamford Bridge.
The Reds were thought to be close to securing a loan deal for Sturridge on the final day of the transfer window, however it was claimed that the 23-year-old would only leave on a permanent deal.
With Goal.com now reporting that Sturridge has become increasingly frustrated at his first-team opportunities under Roberto Di Matteo, Liverpool could complete a deal with the opening of the next transfer window.
A regular under Andre Villas-Boas in the first half of last season, Sturridge featured sparingly when Di Matteo took over and has yet to start a game this campaign.
Liverpool’s need for striking reinforcements is all too apparent, particularly following the decision to allow Andy Carroll to leave on loan to West Ham.
Such is Liverpool’s requirement for a striker to aid Luis Suarez and Fabio Borini that there was talk of a free transfer move for former Chelsea hero Didier Drogba. The Ivorian moved to Shanghai Shenhua during the summer, but reports suggested that his massive contract could be cancelled due to a dispute between shareholders at the Chinese club.
However, Drogba has now claimed to be happy to remain in Shanghai.
“I’m really happy here, so I have no reasons to leave,” he said, according to the Sun. “I don’t want to leave. I want to stay here as long as I can, win some trophies with my team and make our fans very happy. It’s difficult at the moment but I know that there is hope and I believe.
“My contract is two and a half years and maybe more,” he added. “Maybe more and I hope more because I’m really happy here.
“I miss the Premier League because it’s the best league in the world but, really, I don’t regret my choice.”
One player that could be arriving is Dinamo Zagreb midfielder Marcelo Brozovic. The Daily Mirror claims that Liverpool scouts watched the Croatia Under-21 international in action against Porto in the Champions League on Tuesday.
Genoa and Lazio are also reported to be interested in Brozovic.
Some positive news for Liverpool fans may be on the horizon with the Daily Telegraph reporting that the club has opened contract negotiations with Daniel Agger. The Danish international has two years remaining on his current deal and with Manchester City having a £20 million bid rejected in the summer, Liverpool are eager to tie the 27-year-old to a long-term deal.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Real Life ‘Frozen’: Snow Overwhelms The US, Kills 7; More To Come (Pictures)
- Angelina Jolie, Brad Pitt in Sydney for ‘Unbroken’ Red Carpet Premiere [PHOTOS]
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 8 Spoilers: Daryl Dixon Is Set To Burn The Place Down in ‘Coda’
- G20 Summit Awkward Moments: Putin Yawns, Mystery Bubbles Appear, F18 Drama Ensues
Join the Conversation
- Roger Federer News: Swiss Maestro Aiming To Give Switzerland First Davis Cup Title, Win Would Complete Tennis Career
- NBA Recap: Los Angeles Clippers Clobber Miami Heat, 110-93
- Premeir League News: Louis Van Gaal On Danny Welbeck's Development As A Gunner
- 'Vampire Diaries' Season 6, Episode 8 'Fade Into You' Recap/Spoilers: Meeting Kai’s Family, The Gemini Coven
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers From Nov. 24-26, 2014: The Forresters, Logans And Spencers Will Celebrate Thanksgiving Day At The Forrester Mansion
- Walmart Early Price Matching Special Event On Nov. 21, 2014 Matches Its Competitors' Black Friday 2014 Prices And Includes Exclusive Deals For Samsung LED HDTVs And iPad Air 2 [WATCH VIDEO]
- US Plane Flying Over Russian Skies Spotted; Vladimir Putin Ready For 'Practical Cooperation' With US
- Alleged 'Microsoft Lumia 1030' Front Panel Leaked With Capacitive Buttons; 'Xbox One' Owners To Get Free Goodies On Anniversary
- Nexus 6 Release Date And Price Under AT&T, T-Mobile And Sprint Listed
- NATO To Russia: 'Pull Back Your Troops'
- Cold War 2: Russia, China And North Korea’s Blacklisted Company Fortify Alliance -- Reports
- Xiaomi to Kill Redmi 1S for More Redmi Notes