Liverpool Transfer News: Drogba, Sturridge, Agger and Brozovic Involved in Latest Speculation
By Jason Le Miere | September 22, 2012 6:10 AM EST
Liverpool could be set to reignite their interest in Chelsea forward Daniel Sturridge in January following reports that the England international has become increasingly unhappy at Stamford Bridge.
The Reds were thought to be close to securing a loan deal for Sturridge on the final day of the transfer window, however it was claimed that the 23-year-old would only leave on a permanent deal.
With Goal.com now reporting that Sturridge has become increasingly frustrated at his first-team opportunities under Roberto Di Matteo, Liverpool could complete a deal with the opening of the next transfer window.
A regular under Andre Villas-Boas in the first half of last season, Sturridge featured sparingly when Di Matteo took over and has yet to start a game this campaign.
Liverpool’s need for striking reinforcements is all too apparent, particularly following the decision to allow Andy Carroll to leave on loan to West Ham.
Such is Liverpool’s requirement for a striker to aid Luis Suarez and Fabio Borini that there was talk of a free transfer move for former Chelsea hero Didier Drogba. The Ivorian moved to Shanghai Shenhua during the summer, but reports suggested that his massive contract could be cancelled due to a dispute between shareholders at the Chinese club.
However, Drogba has now claimed to be happy to remain in Shanghai.
“I’m really happy here, so I have no reasons to leave,” he said, according to the Sun. “I don’t want to leave. I want to stay here as long as I can, win some trophies with my team and make our fans very happy. It’s difficult at the moment but I know that there is hope and I believe.
“My contract is two and a half years and maybe more,” he added. “Maybe more and I hope more because I’m really happy here.
“I miss the Premier League because it’s the best league in the world but, really, I don’t regret my choice.”
One player that could be arriving is Dinamo Zagreb midfielder Marcelo Brozovic. The Daily Mirror claims that Liverpool scouts watched the Croatia Under-21 international in action against Porto in the Champions League on Tuesday.
Genoa and Lazio are also reported to be interested in Brozovic.
Some positive news for Liverpool fans may be on the horizon with the Daily Telegraph reporting that the club has opened contract negotiations with Daniel Agger. The Danish international has two years remaining on his current deal and with Manchester City having a £20 million bid rejected in the summer, Liverpool are eager to tie the 27-year-old to a long-term deal.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
- Dwyane Wade, Joe Johnson, Amare Stoudemire Among Worst Contracts In The NBA (Part 2 - Eastern Conference)
- Brawl-Marred Game in NFL Week 3: Philadelphia Eagles 37, Washington Redskins 34 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- New Samsung Galaxy Note 4 and Galaxy S5 Android 5.0 L Killer Features, Encryption and More
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Date is Halloween 2014 as Android L Intro Set for October 16
- Moto G 2014 v Asus Zenfone 5 – Specification Comparison Shows Zenfone 5 Is A Good Alternative for Moto G
- Android 5.0 L Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Nexus 7 Release in October, Google Employees Offer Hint
- Nexus 8, Nexus 9 Release Date, Device Name And Price Conundrum: What To Expect?
- Microsoft Doubles OneDrive Space To 30GB Due To iOS 8 Update Issues
- New Zealand Could Be Next ISIS Target After Australia Beheading Plot, Says Expert