South African Strikes Spread To AngloGold's Gold Mine
September 22, 2012 2:11 AM EST
South African miners began striking at a mine owned by AngloGold Ashanti Ltd. (NYSE: AU), the third-largest gold producer, continuing an outbreak of labor unrest in the region that threatens the global supply of precious metals, which could send prices up.
Workers began striking late Thursday at Johannesburg-based AngloGold's Kopanang mine, which employees 5,000 people and accounts for 4 percent of the company's production. An AngloGold spokesman told Bloomberg that no demands had been made.
The AngloGold strike follows unrest at Gold Fields Ltd. (NYSE: GFI)'s KDC West, which ended two weeks ago. Protests in the region have intensified after workers from Lonmin Plc (London: LMI), the third-largest platinum producer, were killed by police in an August clash. Earlier this week, Lonmin conceded to give workers a raise in basic wages to 12,500 rand ($1,500) per month, up from 5,400 rand. Workers had complained of what they call unbearable living conditions and low wages.
Anglo American Plc (London: AAL), the largest platinum produce and Impala Platinum Holdings Ltd. (PINK: IMPUY), the second-largest platinum produce, the second-largest producer, have also dealt with strikes. Further tension has arisen from turf wars between the established National Union of Mineworkers and more radical Association of Mineworkers and Construction Union.
South Africa accounts for around 75 percent of the world's platinum production and around 8 percent of global gold prodcution.
Shares of AngloGold were up 34 cents, or 0.94 percent, to $36.64 in mid-Friday trading.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Pregnant Kate Middleton May Call Off Malta Trip Due To Sickness: Royal Couple Will Move To Anmer Hall Residence
- Apple iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 3 October Release Date Roundup: Freshly Leaked Protective Case Debuts Unique Vent Alongside Camera
- Why Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Not The Best Smartphone To Purchase Now? If You Still Want To, Wait For A Month To Get It Cheap
- Ukraine Crisis: Poland Denies Supplying Weapons To Kiev
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Countdown Begins Oct 8: 8 Killer Specs and Features to Expect
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MF 370: Indonesian Police Chief Claims He Knows What Happened To Missing Jet