South African Strikes Spread To AngloGold's Gold Mine
September 22, 2012 2:11 AM EST
South African miners began striking at a mine owned by AngloGold Ashanti Ltd. (NYSE: AU), the third-largest gold producer, continuing an outbreak of labor unrest in the region that threatens the global supply of precious metals, which could send prices up.
Workers began striking late Thursday at Johannesburg-based AngloGold's Kopanang mine, which employees 5,000 people and accounts for 4 percent of the company's production. An AngloGold spokesman told Bloomberg that no demands had been made.
The AngloGold strike follows unrest at Gold Fields Ltd. (NYSE: GFI)'s KDC West, which ended two weeks ago. Protests in the region have intensified after workers from Lonmin Plc (London: LMI), the third-largest platinum producer, were killed by police in an August clash. Earlier this week, Lonmin conceded to give workers a raise in basic wages to 12,500 rand ($1,500) per month, up from 5,400 rand. Workers had complained of what they call unbearable living conditions and low wages.
Anglo American Plc (London: AAL), the largest platinum produce and Impala Platinum Holdings Ltd. (PINK: IMPUY), the second-largest platinum produce, the second-largest producer, have also dealt with strikes. Further tension has arisen from turf wars between the established National Union of Mineworkers and more radical Association of Mineworkers and Construction Union.
South Africa accounts for around 75 percent of the world's platinum production and around 8 percent of global gold prodcution.
Shares of AngloGold were up 34 cents, or 0.94 percent, to $36.64 in mid-Friday trading.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Russia Is Ready for Shooting War, Will Likely Win Looming Nuclear Showdown with U.S. – Report
- Microsoft Band Runs Out Of Stock, But Offers $10 Gift Voucher To Wait-Listed Customers
- Black Friday And Cyber Monday Sale 2014: AT&T's Cricket Wireless Offers Discounts On Lumia 1320, Galaxy S5, S4 And HTC Desire 510
- Google Joins Forces with GoPro Inc with New Google Maps Focusing on Destination
- Target Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Ad Released For Nov. 26, 2014 Includes Deals On Toys, HDTVs And Video Games Such As ‘FIFA 15’ And ‘NHL 15’ For Xbox 360 [WATCH VIDEO]
- 16GB iPhone 6 for $99 at Sam’s Club is the Best 2014 Black Friday Deal Around
- Lumia Update Will Come Soon Confirms Microsoft