South African Strikes Spread To AngloGold's Gold Mine
September 22, 2012 2:11 AM EST
South African miners began striking at a mine owned by AngloGold Ashanti Ltd. (NYSE: AU), the third-largest gold producer, continuing an outbreak of labor unrest in the region that threatens the global supply of precious metals, which could send prices up.
Workers began striking late Thursday at Johannesburg-based AngloGold's Kopanang mine, which employees 5,000 people and accounts for 4 percent of the company's production. An AngloGold spokesman told Bloomberg that no demands had been made.
The AngloGold strike follows unrest at Gold Fields Ltd. (NYSE: GFI)'s KDC West, which ended two weeks ago. Protests in the region have intensified after workers from Lonmin Plc (London: LMI), the third-largest platinum producer, were killed by police in an August clash. Earlier this week, Lonmin conceded to give workers a raise in basic wages to 12,500 rand ($1,500) per month, up from 5,400 rand. Workers had complained of what they call unbearable living conditions and low wages.
Anglo American Plc (London: AAL), the largest platinum produce and Impala Platinum Holdings Ltd. (PINK: IMPUY), the second-largest platinum produce, the second-largest producer, have also dealt with strikes. Further tension has arisen from turf wars between the established National Union of Mineworkers and more radical Association of Mineworkers and Construction Union.
South Africa accounts for around 75 percent of the world's platinum production and around 8 percent of global gold prodcution.
Shares of AngloGold were up 34 cents, or 0.94 percent, to $36.64 in mid-Friday trading.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28