Man United Target Valencia Midfielder as Future Scoles Replacement – Report
By Adrian Back | September 21, 2012 8:23 PM EST
Manchester United have been linked with Valencia midfielder Sofiane Feghouli as Sir Alex Ferguson continues his search for a successor to Paul Scholes.
Ferguson has consistently been linked with numerous midfielders as Scholes comes ever closer to walking away from the game for good. However, United have strengthened more in attack and defence in recent seasons.
Shinja Kagawa arrived in the summer, but his style is very different from that of Scholes. Nick Powell was also compared to the former England international by Ferguson, however, he is still inexperienced and learning his trade.
The 22-year-old arrived in Spain back in the summer of 2010 and last season managed to break in to the first team, as he made 29 appearances in the league and scored six goals.
Feghouli was a regular in Europe as well, playing 13 matches and representing Valencia both in the Champions league, and then helping the club reach the semi-finals of the Europa League.
The attacking midfielder has also scored two goals in six appearances for Algeria having made the decision to switch allegiances from France who he played for at Under-18 and Under-21 level.
The former Grenoble midfielder has made an impressive start to the season, scoring two goals in his first four league games for Valencia.
Spartak manager Unai Emery knows the player well having first signed him for Valencia before deciding to leave the club in the summer, despite having led them to Champions League qualification.
Feghouli still has two years remaining on his contract, but it seems United will be monitoring his progress as they look to see whether he has the ability to succeed Scholes.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
- Kate Middleton's Pregnancy Hearsays: Possible Evidence Revealed [PHOTOS]
- Selena Gomez Turns 22 Today, Celebrates Early without Justin Bieber: Top 12 Interesting Facts About the Singer [SEE PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- No Kevin Love to Cleveland, Andrew Wiggins to Stay with Cavaliers
- Jeremy Lin Only an ‘Expiring Contract’ in Los Angeles; Lakers Want Eric Bledsoe
- Jeremy Lin Demands More Playing Time From Lakers Next Season
- $300 Million at Stake for Floyd Mayweather vs. Manny Pacquiao Showdown
- Roger Federer is ‘The Greatest of All Time' - Novak Djokovic’s Coach Boris Becker
- Fresh Leak Hints iPhone 6 Price and Release Date; 4.7-Inches iPhone 6 Sapphire Display Scratched in Test; New Spigen Cases Out
- iPhone 6 2014 Release Date Very Soon as Apple Orders 120M New iPhones from Foxconn – Report
- Google Nexus 6 on Release Date Will Sport 2K Display Panel & Lower Price Tag – Report
- Motorola Moto G Vs. Xiaomi Mi3 – Low in Price, High -level Features
- FCC Approves Sony Xperia Z3 for U.S. Market
- Killer Xiaomi Mi4 at $369 Likely to Come With 5.0-Inch Display, Snapdragon 801 Processor, 3GB RAM and More
- Sony PlayStation 4 Outsells a Resurgent Xbox One in June