Man United Target Valencia Midfielder as Future Scoles Replacement – Report
By Adrian Back | September 21, 2012 8:23 PM EST
Manchester United have been linked with Valencia midfielder Sofiane Feghouli as Sir Alex Ferguson continues his search for a successor to Paul Scholes.
Ferguson has consistently been linked with numerous midfielders as Scholes comes ever closer to walking away from the game for good. However, United have strengthened more in attack and defence in recent seasons.
Shinja Kagawa arrived in the summer, but his style is very different from that of Scholes. Nick Powell was also compared to the former England international by Ferguson, however, he is still inexperienced and learning his trade.
The 22-year-old arrived in Spain back in the summer of 2010 and last season managed to break in to the first team, as he made 29 appearances in the league and scored six goals.
Feghouli was a regular in Europe as well, playing 13 matches and representing Valencia both in the Champions league, and then helping the club reach the semi-finals of the Europa League.
The attacking midfielder has also scored two goals in six appearances for Algeria having made the decision to switch allegiances from France who he played for at Under-18 and Under-21 level.
The former Grenoble midfielder has made an impressive start to the season, scoring two goals in his first four league games for Valencia.
Spartak manager Unai Emery knows the player well having first signed him for Valencia before deciding to leave the club in the summer, despite having led them to Champions League qualification.
Feghouli still has two years remaining on his contract, but it seems United will be monitoring his progress as they look to see whether he has the ability to succeed Scholes.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal On Roger Federer: ‘He’s A Good Person, A Fantastic Player And A Great Man On Court’
- Jeremy Lin’s Big Break: Steve Nash Out For The Season For The Los Angeles Lakers
- NBA News: Teammate Stresses Jeremy Lin's Importance To The Lakers
- Croatian Boxer Banned For Life From Sport After Vicious Attack On Polish Referee [VIDEO]
- Manny Pacquiao Is Better Than Floyd Mayweather Jr. In Basketball Claims Freddie Roach
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28