Man United Target Valencia Midfielder as Future Scoles Replacement – Report
By Adrian Back | September 21, 2012 8:23 PM EST
Manchester United have been linked with Valencia midfielder Sofiane Feghouli as Sir Alex Ferguson continues his search for a successor to Paul Scholes.
Ferguson has consistently been linked with numerous midfielders as Scholes comes ever closer to walking away from the game for good. However, United have strengthened more in attack and defence in recent seasons.
Shinja Kagawa arrived in the summer, but his style is very different from that of Scholes. Nick Powell was also compared to the former England international by Ferguson, however, he is still inexperienced and learning his trade.
The 22-year-old arrived in Spain back in the summer of 2010 and last season managed to break in to the first team, as he made 29 appearances in the league and scored six goals.
Feghouli was a regular in Europe as well, playing 13 matches and representing Valencia both in the Champions league, and then helping the club reach the semi-finals of the Europa League.
The attacking midfielder has also scored two goals in six appearances for Algeria having made the decision to switch allegiances from France who he played for at Under-18 and Under-21 level.
The former Grenoble midfielder has made an impressive start to the season, scoring two goals in his first four league games for Valencia.
Spartak manager Unai Emery knows the player well having first signed him for Valencia before deciding to leave the club in the summer, despite having led them to Champions League qualification.
Feghouli still has two years remaining on his contract, but it seems United will be monitoring his progress as they look to see whether he has the ability to succeed Scholes.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Dionesian ‘Hex’: Pacquiao’s Secret Weapon Behind His 8 Titles
- Manny Pacquiao vs. Chris Algieri Betting Odds: American Knockout Of Filipino Pays $10,000 From A $100 Bet
- Chris Algieri Exposed, Criticised For Lack Of Desire To Win Against Manny Pacquiao
- Arum Says Pacquiao's Victory vs Algieri May Cause Mayweather To Say ‘No’ To Dream Match
- Boxing News: Manny Pacquiao 'Ready' To Fight Floyd Mayweather In 2015 Following Algieri Win
- Russia's New Tactical Nuclear Weapons Program Growing Confident Against the US: Talks of World War III
- Apple and Google Engage in Thermonuclear War, New Google Translate Chat App in the Works
- Walmart Offers the Best 2014 Black Friday Deals on iPhone 6, iPad Ai2 & Other Gadgets – Reports
- Update Samsung Galaxy S5 to Android 4.4.4 KitKat, Sprint Release and Installation
- More Nexus 6 Problems Arise with Android 5.0 Lollipop, Poor Benchmark Results and Other Issues
- HTC One M8 Android 5.0 Lollipop Release Delayed: Other Schedule and Installation Guide
- Israel''s Al Aqsa and East Jerusalem Issues Threatening Its Multi Billion Gas Deal With Jordan