iPhone 5 Release Sees Huge Numbers Of Dedicated Fans Linining Up Overnight
By Eric Brown | September 21, 2012 12:26 PM EST
With Friday morning's iPhone 5 launch hours away, Apple fanatics across the world have taken to lining up outside Apple Stores in hopes of being among the very first users to own the new iPhone. Equipped with sleeping bags, snacks, and, of course, older Apple products to entertain themselves, some have been waiting for days.
The iPhone 5 sold out of its initial pre-order online in about an hour, so many customers who simply can’t wait to receive theirs are relying on being near the front of the line.
At Apple’s flagship location on New York City’s Fifth Avenue, the line reportedly reached as many as 60 people by Thursday night, according to USA Today. Several protesters related to Occupy Wall Street have also infiltrated the line as well.
While other Apple locations aren’t quite as crowded, they still draw large numbers of dedicated fans. By midday Thursday, as many as 15 people had camped out in front of Chicago’s largest Apple Store, prepared to wait out the night in anticipation of the iPhone 5.
Not everyone in the crowd was out to gett the phone for himself. According to the Chicago Tribune, Julian Diggs, first in line at a Chicago location, has plans to sell his spot in line for as much as $1,200.
Diggs does plan to get back in line and purchase a phone for himself, however.
"I just like to stay updated when there's a new design and extremely new features," he told the Chicago Tribune.
Others, however, would never give up their spot to anyone else and are especially dedicated to the wait.
According to USA Today, Marine Sgt. Iggy McDonald began camping out in front of an Arlington, Va., Apple Store on Tuesday. "I've spent Tuesday night and last night here and I'm planning on spending tonight here as well. I've stood in line for all of the iPhones," he told USA Today.
Even Apple co-founder Steve Wozniak isn’t immune to the hype. The Woz tweeted a photo of a Chermside, Australia, Apple Store where he is waiting in line for a new iPhone 5.
Because the Australia store is in the first time zone in the world to open and begin selling the iPhone 5, Wozniak tweeted the photo with the caption “In line for first iPhone 5's in the world! (@ Apple Store w/ 2 others).”
Wozniak founded Apple along with Steve Jobs in 1976. Despite leaving the company in 1987, Wozniak remains a shareholder and routinely discusses his enthusiasm for new Apple products.
The iPhone 5 launches Friday morning at 8 a.m. local time and will be available for prices starting at $199 with a two-year contract.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt’s Top Secret Wedding Tramps Jennifer Aniston’s ‘Friends’ Reunion & Pregnancy Talks [PHOTOS]
- 2014 US Open: Hottest Male Tennis Players To Watch [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Xbox’s September Games with Gold Features Halo Reach As Halo 5: Guardians And Master Chief Collection Get Details
- ‘Minecraft Xbox One Edition’ Updates From Devs Plus More On Minecraft On The Xbox Platform
- ‘Assassin’s Creed Unity’ Delayed To November As ‘Rogue’ Gets More Story Details
- ‘Destiny’ Updates: Devs Talk About Raids and ‘Destiny’ Preorder And Preloading
- ‘GTA 5’ Online Updates Radio For PS4, Xbox One As Rockstar Brings Allies For New Sale
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- PlayStation 4 Killing Xbox One Costing Microsoft Millions But It's Fine
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans
- iPhone 6 On Release Date To Feature Qualcomm MDM9625M LTE, 1GB RAM, Mobile Payment Deal With AMEX, 1334x750 Display
- Nexus 6 Release Date Update: Moto X+1 Look Leaked, Nexus X or Shamu Moved to Demo Phase