BSC Young Boys v Liverpool: Europa League 2012/13, Where to Watch Live, Preview, Formations and Teams
By Vishnuprasad S | September 20, 2012 4:12 PM EST
Liverpool will want to start their Europa League campaign in better form than they have the Premier League, when they travel to Bern, Switzerland for the first group game, against BSC Young Boys.
Where to Watch:
Kick-off is set for 6 pm BST and live coverage will be available on iTV4.
The Reds come into this fixture on the back of a poor domestic run. Brendan Rodgers' side are yet to win a league match this term and are 17th in the table after managing just two points from four games - their worst start in the league since 1911. They will follow this game with a massive weekend fixture - the visit of rivals Manchester United - and Rodgers has left a number of senior players out of the squad to play Young Boys, in the hope the extended break will help them in the league.
Italian club Udinese and Anzhi Makhachkala, the other two teams in Group A, promise more of a threat than Young Boys but the Swiss side should not be underestimated. They are on a good domestic run and have conceded just once in the last three games, while scoring seven at the other end. Martin Rueda's side are looking to make their mark in Europe and have potential enough to create quite some trouble for Liverpool.
BSC Young Boys
- Last five (most recent first): W L D W L
- Last Result: FC Luzern 1 - 2 BSC Young Boys
- Last five (most recent first): D L D D W
- Last Result: Sunderland 1 - 1 Liverpool
Young Boys: Rueda will be without defender Alain Nef, who received a red card in the second leg against Midtjylland. Argentine forward Raul Bobadilla, who leads the attack for the Swiss outfit, is in fine form and has netted twice in the completion already. Christian Schneuwly, Alexander Farnerud, Christoph Spycher, Juhani Ojala and captain Marco Wolfli, have all featured regularly in the competition and will be available for Liverpool's visit.
The Reds announced a young squad for the trip, with Samed Yesil, Suso, Adam Morgan, Andre Wisdom, Conor Coady, Dani Pacheco and Peter Gulacsi all included. The club did not list the senior players that have been omitted but according to reports captain Steven Gerrard, Luis Suarez, Pepe Reina, Glen Johnson, Martin Skrtel, Daniel Agger, Joe Allen and Martin Kelly have all remained at Anfield.
Jamie Carragher and Sebastian Coates are sure bets to start at the centre of the defence, while Jon Flanagan and Jose Enrique could feature as the wing backs. Enrique has been sidelined for long and needs some game time. But if Rodgers still decides to save the Spaniard for the United game, then there's a possibility that Jack Robinson will play or we could see Stewart Downing making his first start at left back.
In midfield, loan signing Nuri Sahin - who is yet to show his true potential - is a strong possibility and so is Jonjo Shelvey, while there has got to be a start for Jordan Henderson at some point. Up front, youngsters Yesil and Morgan are likely to feature, with new winger Oussama Assaidi a favourite for the last spot.
Probabale Starting Line-up:
Young Boys (4-5-1): Wolfli; Gonzalez, Nef, Ojala, Spycher; Farnerud, Costanzo, Schneuwly, Nuzzolo, Frey; Bobadilla
Liverpool (4-3-3): Jones; Flanagan, Carragher, Coates, Enrique; Sahin, Henderson, Shelvey; Morgan, Yesil, Assaidi
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Season 7 Finale Spoilers: Kurt Sutter On Ending The Biker Series And Picking The Right Song For The Final Ride
- Prince Charles’ Wife Camilla Parker-Bowles In Drug Scandal - Reports
- Camilla Parker-Bowles To Become Queen When Prince Charles Accedes To The Throne
Join the Conversation
- Jules Bianchi Latest Update: F1 Driver's Father Says Son In A Desperate Situation
- Manny Pacquiao Chasing Floyd Mayweather Jr. Because Of Money But Says Undefeated American Is Afraid Of Filipino - Analysts
- Floyd Mayweather Trains Justin Bieber In The Boxing Ring
- Jules Bianchi Latest Update: Driver's Mother Says People 'Shirking Responsibility' About The Accident
- Novak Djokovic Aims For World No. 1 Rank In 2015, Becker Says
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Redmi Note 2 vs iPhone 6: Samsung in Danger with Depressing Q3
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- Battery Saving Android 5.0 Lollipop Feature Extends The Battery Life Of Your Android Device By 90 Minutes And Displays Orange Bar While Power Saving Mode Is On
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch
- Russia Beefs Up Gold Reserves To Offset Heat of Sanctions And Undercut Dollar
- Australia's 'No Way' Anti-Asylum Seeker Poster Sparks Outrage