BSC Young Boys v Liverpool: Europa League 2012/13, Where to Watch Live, Preview, Formations and Teams
By Vishnuprasad S | September 20, 2012 4:12 PM EST
Liverpool will want to start their Europa League campaign in better form than they have the Premier League, when they travel to Bern, Switzerland for the first group game, against BSC Young Boys.
Where to Watch:
Kick-off is set for 6 pm BST and live coverage will be available on iTV4.
The Reds come into this fixture on the back of a poor domestic run. Brendan Rodgers' side are yet to win a league match this term and are 17th in the table after managing just two points from four games - their worst start in the league since 1911. They will follow this game with a massive weekend fixture - the visit of rivals Manchester United - and Rodgers has left a number of senior players out of the squad to play Young Boys, in the hope the extended break will help them in the league.
Italian club Udinese and Anzhi Makhachkala, the other two teams in Group A, promise more of a threat than Young Boys but the Swiss side should not be underestimated. They are on a good domestic run and have conceded just once in the last three games, while scoring seven at the other end. Martin Rueda's side are looking to make their mark in Europe and have potential enough to create quite some trouble for Liverpool.
BSC Young Boys
- Last five (most recent first): W L D W L
- Last Result: FC Luzern 1 - 2 BSC Young Boys
- Last five (most recent first): D L D D W
- Last Result: Sunderland 1 - 1 Liverpool
Young Boys: Rueda will be without defender Alain Nef, who received a red card in the second leg against Midtjylland. Argentine forward Raul Bobadilla, who leads the attack for the Swiss outfit, is in fine form and has netted twice in the completion already. Christian Schneuwly, Alexander Farnerud, Christoph Spycher, Juhani Ojala and captain Marco Wolfli, have all featured regularly in the competition and will be available for Liverpool's visit.
The Reds announced a young squad for the trip, with Samed Yesil, Suso, Adam Morgan, Andre Wisdom, Conor Coady, Dani Pacheco and Peter Gulacsi all included. The club did not list the senior players that have been omitted but according to reports captain Steven Gerrard, Luis Suarez, Pepe Reina, Glen Johnson, Martin Skrtel, Daniel Agger, Joe Allen and Martin Kelly have all remained at Anfield.
Jamie Carragher and Sebastian Coates are sure bets to start at the centre of the defence, while Jon Flanagan and Jose Enrique could feature as the wing backs. Enrique has been sidelined for long and needs some game time. But if Rodgers still decides to save the Spaniard for the United game, then there's a possibility that Jack Robinson will play or we could see Stewart Downing making his first start at left back.
In midfield, loan signing Nuri Sahin - who is yet to show his true potential - is a strong possibility and so is Jonjo Shelvey, while there has got to be a start for Jordan Henderson at some point. Up front, youngsters Yesil and Morgan are likely to feature, with new winger Oussama Assaidi a favourite for the last spot.
Probabale Starting Line-up:
Young Boys (4-5-1): Wolfli; Gonzalez, Nef, Ojala, Spycher; Farnerud, Costanzo, Schneuwly, Nuzzolo, Frey; Bobadilla
Liverpool (4-3-3): Jones; Flanagan, Carragher, Coates, Enrique; Sahin, Henderson, Shelvey; Morgan, Yesil, Assaidi
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao Begins Training Sans Freddie Roach
- Rafael Nadal’s Coach Reveals The Spanish Athlete Will Be Back On Court Soon
- Boxing News 2014: Showtime VP Favours Pacquiao As Mayweather’s Next Ring Opponent; Money May Insists Fight Should Be Over Showtime PPV Only
- Three Reasons Why Brock Lesnar Must Fight The Undertaker At Night Of Champions And Not John Cena [VIDEO]
- Michael Schumacher Rehabilitation Update: F1 Champion In-Home Health Care And Services Consist Of 15 Medical Staff
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Pregnant Kate Middleton May Call Off Malta Trip Due To Sickness: Royal Couple Will Move To Anmer Hall Residence
- Why Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Not The Best Smartphone To Purchase Now? If You Still Want To, Wait For A Month To Get It Cheap
- Apple iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 3 October Release Date Roundup: Freshly Leaked Protective Case Debuts Unique Vent Alongside Camera
- Ukraine Crisis: Poland Denies Supplying Weapons To Kiev
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Countdown Begins Oct 8: 8 Killer Specs and Features to Expect
- Canadian IS Jihadist Wants to ‘Play Soccer’ with Heads of US Decapitated Soldiers