BSC Young Boys v Liverpool: Europa League 2012/13, Where to Watch Live, Preview, Formations and Teams
By Vishnuprasad S | September 20, 2012 4:12 PM EST
Liverpool will want to start their Europa League campaign in better form than they have the Premier League, when they travel to Bern, Switzerland for the first group game, against BSC Young Boys.
Where to Watch:
Kick-off is set for 6 pm BST and live coverage will be available on iTV4.
The Reds come into this fixture on the back of a poor domestic run. Brendan Rodgers' side are yet to win a league match this term and are 17th in the table after managing just two points from four games - their worst start in the league since 1911. They will follow this game with a massive weekend fixture - the visit of rivals Manchester United - and Rodgers has left a number of senior players out of the squad to play Young Boys, in the hope the extended break will help them in the league.
Italian club Udinese and Anzhi Makhachkala, the other two teams in Group A, promise more of a threat than Young Boys but the Swiss side should not be underestimated. They are on a good domestic run and have conceded just once in the last three games, while scoring seven at the other end. Martin Rueda's side are looking to make their mark in Europe and have potential enough to create quite some trouble for Liverpool.
BSC Young Boys
- Last five (most recent first): W L D W L
- Last Result: FC Luzern 1 - 2 BSC Young Boys
- Last five (most recent first): D L D D W
- Last Result: Sunderland 1 - 1 Liverpool
Young Boys: Rueda will be without defender Alain Nef, who received a red card in the second leg against Midtjylland. Argentine forward Raul Bobadilla, who leads the attack for the Swiss outfit, is in fine form and has netted twice in the completion already. Christian Schneuwly, Alexander Farnerud, Christoph Spycher, Juhani Ojala and captain Marco Wolfli, have all featured regularly in the competition and will be available for Liverpool's visit.
The Reds announced a young squad for the trip, with Samed Yesil, Suso, Adam Morgan, Andre Wisdom, Conor Coady, Dani Pacheco and Peter Gulacsi all included. The club did not list the senior players that have been omitted but according to reports captain Steven Gerrard, Luis Suarez, Pepe Reina, Glen Johnson, Martin Skrtel, Daniel Agger, Joe Allen and Martin Kelly have all remained at Anfield.
Jamie Carragher and Sebastian Coates are sure bets to start at the centre of the defence, while Jon Flanagan and Jose Enrique could feature as the wing backs. Enrique has been sidelined for long and needs some game time. But if Rodgers still decides to save the Spaniard for the United game, then there's a possibility that Jack Robinson will play or we could see Stewart Downing making his first start at left back.
In midfield, loan signing Nuri Sahin - who is yet to show his true potential - is a strong possibility and so is Jonjo Shelvey, while there has got to be a start for Jordan Henderson at some point. Up front, youngsters Yesil and Morgan are likely to feature, with new winger Oussama Assaidi a favourite for the last spot.
Probabale Starting Line-up:
Young Boys (4-5-1): Wolfli; Gonzalez, Nef, Ojala, Spycher; Farnerud, Costanzo, Schneuwly, Nuzzolo, Frey; Bobadilla
Liverpool (4-3-3): Jones; Flanagan, Carragher, Coates, Enrique; Sahin, Henderson, Shelvey; Morgan, Yesil, Assaidi
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao Has Got Chris Algieri Fight All Figured Out
- New York Knicks Vs. Cleveland Cavaliers Live Streaming Info, Preview And Betting Odds
- San Francisco Giants Beat Kansas City Royals, 3-2 In Game 7, Wins 2014 MLB World Series [PHOTOS]
- Los Angeles Lakers Suffer Second Straight Loss, Phoenix Suns Deal Kobe Bryant Another Blowout Defeat, 119-99
- Female Boxer Dies In South Africa Following Knockout Blow
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Apple iPhone 6 Plus vs Motorola Droid Turbo: Comparsion On Processor, Software And Battery
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight
- ISIS Has Been Equipped With Advanced Anti-Aircraft Missiles
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs Motorola Droid Turbo – S-Pen Is Note’s 4 USP But Droid Turbo Can Outshine With Larger Battery
- 8 Important Things to Consider Before Buying or Upgrading to iPad Air 2
- Canada’s Official ISIS Mission Starts On Weekend; Kuwait Uneasy