After Hitting 6 Month High, Gold Rally Takes A Pause
September 20, 2012 3:54 AM EST
After hitting a six-month high of $1,779.10 per ounce Wednesday in early European session trading, and in spite of a series of news early in the day suggesting the precious metal was in for a rally, gold prices traded flat around $1,770.
The action in the pits of New York and Chicago continued a trend seen the prior day -- where gold moved against news developments -- as traders in specie are still seemingly trying to feel their way as to what the appropriate price of bullion should be following unprecedented monetary easing by the world's central banks.
For gold prices, "much will depend on how QE3 plays out in the fixed income markets and how it impact EUR-USD," James Steel, an analyst at British bank HSBC wrote in a note to clients.
But interestingly, gold did not seem to be responding to a rallying euro, a recovery in platinum prices -- which tracks gold and other precious metals -- or the announcement by the Bank of Japan overnight that it would be engaging in yet another round of monetary easing to match the one being undertaken by the Federal Reserve.
Gold was also trading out of sync with the stock in various international miners, such as Kinross Gold Corporation (NYSE:KGC), Yamana Gold Inc. (NYSE:AUY), Barrick Gold Corporation (NYSE:ABX), El Dorado Gold Corp (NYSE:EGO) and IAMGOLD Corporation (NYSE:IAG), all of which rose more than 1 percent on high volume and little news.
Still, strategists saw the gold rally continuing in the long run.
"I think other central banks will announce more accommodative policies and that should continue to support gold," Jeremy Friesen, a commodity strategist at French bank Societe Generale, told Reuters.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Boards London Train in Casual Disguise, Royal Couple’s Incognito Plan A Huge Hit [PHOTOS]
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt’s Top Secret Wedding Tramps Jennifer Aniston’s ‘Friends’ Reunion & Pregnancy Talks [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- Nexus 6 Release Date Update: Moto X+1 Look Leaked, Nexus X or Shamu Moved to Demo Phase
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans
- iPhone 6 On Release Date To Feature Qualcomm MDM9625M LTE, 1GB RAM, Mobile Payment Deal With AMEX, 1334x750 Display
- HTC One M8 for Windows Vs. Nokia Lumia Icon, The Battle Of Windows Phones