Yunel Escobar Gay Slur: Was He Really Being Homophobic? [PHOTO]
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | September 19, 2012 4:37 AM EST
Major League Baseball said it will investigate the gay slur written in Spanish on the eye black of Toronto Blue Jays' shortstop Yunel Escobar.
On Saturday, Escobar had the slur "maricon" written on his eye black as the Blue Jays took on the Boston Red Sox. Under his right eye were the words "tu ere," while "maricon" was etched under his left eye, according to the Daily Mail.
Toronto said it would do its own investigation of the slur in a statement released Monday.
"The Toronto Blue Jays do not support discrimination of any kind nor condone the message displayed by Yunel Escobar during Saturday's game," the organization said, according to MLB.com's AJ Cassavell. "The club takes this situation seriously and is investigating the matter."
Writing on eye black is common among professional athletes, although most of the messages are Bible passages or other less-controversial phrases.
Players wear eye black to prevent sun glare, as reported by the Associated Press.
Blue Jays General Manager Alex Anthopoulos, manager John Farrell and coach Luis Rivera are also scheduled to be with Escobar during the media availability, according to Cassavell.
The shortstop didn't take the field Sunday, but it wasn't due to the gay slur, according to Fox News Latino. Escobar was scratched from the game because he was battling the flu.
While the words on Escobar's eye black can be taken as a gay slur, that might not have been his intention, University of Toronto Spanish professor Maria Cristina Cuervo told the Toronto Star.
"It is derogatory, but it's not necessarily homophobic," Cuervo said. "I would take it as, 'You are like a girl. You're weak.' I don't curse much, so I don't know the appropriate level in English. It has to be something like 'wuss'."
"I suppose people will use it in jest, but I don't know if that makes it any less offensive," she told the newspaper. "People will say many things in private. People swear. But there is a difference when you display it."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Dwyane Wade, Joe Johnson, Amare Stoudemire Among Worst Contracts In The NBA (Part 2 - Eastern Conference)
- Brawl-Marred Game in NFL Week 3: Philadelphia Eagles 37, Washington Redskins 34 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Monday Night Football Recap: Chicago Bears 27, New York Jets 19
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
Join the Conversation
- MMA News: Transgender Fighter Fallon Fox Challenges Ronda Rousey, Fires Back on ‘Ignorant’ Comments
- Floyd Mayweather Jr. Points Out Amir Khan's Poor Boxing Record
- Floyd Mayweather Admits Marcos Maidana’s Power Shot Hurt Him [VIDEO]
- Khloe Kardashian Reportedly Having A Hard Time Deciding Whether Or Not To Patch Things Up With Lamar Odom
- NFL Week 3: Washington Redskins Vs. Philadelphia Eagles Live Streaming Information And Preview
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Date is Halloween 2014 as Android L Intro Set for October 16
- New Samsung Galaxy Note 4 and Galaxy S5 Android 5.0 L Killer Features, Encryption and More
- Moto G 2014 v Asus Zenfone 5 – Specification Comparison Shows Zenfone 5 Is A Good Alternative for Moto G
- Android 5.0 L Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Nexus 7 Release in October, Google Employees Offer Hint
- U.S and Canada Fighter Jets Chase Out Russian Jets Near Alaska: Air Space Violation Not Confirmed
- Apple iPad Air 2, OS X Yosemite Release Date Set For October, While iPad Mini 3 With Retina Headed For 2015 Release
- Microsoft Doubles OneDrive Space To 30GB Due To iOS 8 Update Issues