Yunel Escobar Gay Slur: Was He Really Being Homophobic? [PHOTO]
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | September 19, 2012 4:37 AM EST
Major League Baseball said it will investigate the gay slur written in Spanish on the eye black of Toronto Blue Jays' shortstop Yunel Escobar.
On Saturday, Escobar had the slur "maricon" written on his eye black as the Blue Jays took on the Boston Red Sox. Under his right eye were the words "tu ere," while "maricon" was etched under his left eye, according to the Daily Mail.
Toronto said it would do its own investigation of the slur in a statement released Monday.
"The Toronto Blue Jays do not support discrimination of any kind nor condone the message displayed by Yunel Escobar during Saturday's game," the organization said, according to MLB.com's AJ Cassavell. "The club takes this situation seriously and is investigating the matter."
Writing on eye black is common among professional athletes, although most of the messages are Bible passages or other less-controversial phrases.
Players wear eye black to prevent sun glare, as reported by the Associated Press.
Blue Jays General Manager Alex Anthopoulos, manager John Farrell and coach Luis Rivera are also scheduled to be with Escobar during the media availability, according to Cassavell.
The shortstop didn't take the field Sunday, but it wasn't due to the gay slur, according to Fox News Latino. Escobar was scratched from the game because he was battling the flu.
While the words on Escobar's eye black can be taken as a gay slur, that might not have been his intention, University of Toronto Spanish professor Maria Cristina Cuervo told the Toronto Star.
"It is derogatory, but it's not necessarily homophobic," Cuervo said. "I would take it as, 'You are like a girl. You're weak.' I don't curse much, so I don't know the appropriate level in English. It has to be something like 'wuss'."
"I suppose people will use it in jest, but I don't know if that makes it any less offensive," she told the newspaper. "People will say many things in private. People swear. But there is a difference when you display it."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- Prince Harry Kissing Mystery Blond, Cressida Bonas & Camilla Thurlow Are Distant Memory
Join the Conversation
- NBA News: Teammate Stresses Jeremy Lin's Importance To The Lakers
- Croatian Boxer Banned For Life From Sport After Vicious Attack On Polish Referee [VIDEO]
- Manny Pacquiao Is Better Than Floyd Mayweather Jr. In Basketball Claims Freddie Roach
- Chelsea FC: Mourinho Hints Cesc Fabregas Could Succeed John Terry As Club Captain
- Manny Pacquiao Blasted For Arrogance, Playing Basketball Month Before Fight Against Chris Algieri
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Swedish Military Spots ‘Russian Submarine’ Off Stockholm Coast, An Alarming ‘Security Game Changer’