Yunel Escobar Gay Slur: Was He Really Being Homophobic? [PHOTO]
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | September 19, 2012 4:37 AM EST
Major League Baseball said it will investigate the gay slur written in Spanish on the eye black of Toronto Blue Jays' shortstop Yunel Escobar.
On Saturday, Escobar had the slur "maricon" written on his eye black as the Blue Jays took on the Boston Red Sox. Under his right eye were the words "tu ere," while "maricon" was etched under his left eye, according to the Daily Mail.
Toronto said it would do its own investigation of the slur in a statement released Monday.
"The Toronto Blue Jays do not support discrimination of any kind nor condone the message displayed by Yunel Escobar during Saturday's game," the organization said, according to MLB.com's AJ Cassavell. "The club takes this situation seriously and is investigating the matter."
Writing on eye black is common among professional athletes, although most of the messages are Bible passages or other less-controversial phrases.
Players wear eye black to prevent sun glare, as reported by the Associated Press.
Blue Jays General Manager Alex Anthopoulos, manager John Farrell and coach Luis Rivera are also scheduled to be with Escobar during the media availability, according to Cassavell.
The shortstop didn't take the field Sunday, but it wasn't due to the gay slur, according to Fox News Latino. Escobar was scratched from the game because he was battling the flu.
While the words on Escobar's eye black can be taken as a gay slur, that might not have been his intention, University of Toronto Spanish professor Maria Cristina Cuervo told the Toronto Star.
"It is derogatory, but it's not necessarily homophobic," Cuervo said. "I would take it as, 'You are like a girl. You're weak.' I don't curse much, so I don't know the appropriate level in English. It has to be something like 'wuss'."
"I suppose people will use it in jest, but I don't know if that makes it any less offensive," she told the newspaper. "People will say many things in private. People swear. But there is a difference when you display it."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
- Kate Middleton & Prince William Taking a Time Off in August Amidst Miscarriage & Adopting a Child Claims
- Kate Middleton & Prince William Vacation Plans: Visit Prince Charles & Camilla Parker-Bowles
Join the Conversation
- Roger Federer Tasks Engineers to Create the Perfect Tennis Racquet [VIDEO]
- LeBron James and Cleveland Cavaliers the Team to Beat in the East – Paul George
- Roger Federer Forced to Take Down Children's Play Area on his Property in Valbella
- Chelsea FC Transfer News: Renewed Hope for Blues, as Paul Pogba's Agent Revealed that 'Anything is Possible'
- UFC 183: Anderson Silva vs. Nick Diaz Receives Mixed Reactions on Twitter
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date Update: 6 Most Wanted Feature Upgrades for Next iPhone
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install
- Twin Malaysia Airlines MH370, MH17 Aviation Disasters Create Phobia Among Travellers
- HTC One M8 Windows Phone to Launch for Verizon; Release Date, Price, Five Fresh Features to Anticipate for New Smartphone
- OnePlus One vs. Moto X+1 – Early Specifications, Release Date and Price Faceoff
- Galaxy Note 4 Release Date Ahead of iPhone 6 Sept 2014 Debut; Specced-Up but Remains Plastic-Wrapped – Reports
- LG G2 Android 4.4.4 KitKat Guide: When to Hit Your Region and How to Install