Steve Sabol, NFL Films President And Co-Founder, Dead At 69. NFL Players And Insiders React On Twitter [PHOTO]
By Carey Vanderborg | September 19, 2012 4:36 AM EST
Steve Sabol, one of the founding members of NFL Films, died on Tuesday morning after he lost his battle with brain cancer at the age of 69.
While he had reportedly suffered a seizure in 2011, doctors discovered an unremovable tumor in Sabol's brain for which he had been receiving treatment ever since, according to TMZ.
Sabol co-founded NFL films as a cameraman, editor, and writer in the 1960s with his father Ed. Together, the two revolutionized the way football fans watched the game. Having won more than 35 Emmy awards over the course of his career, Sabol made his mark on the game with techniques such as dramatic montages, compelling music and candid player sound bites from the field and the sidelines.
Among other things, Sabol will be remembered for pioneering several iconic shows including, "Hard Knocks," "NFL Films Presents" and "Football Follies."
In 2007, the Pro Football Hall of Fame honored Sabol with the Dan Reeves Pioneer Award recognizing his innovative ideas that have contributed to the game of professional football.
Those close to Sabol also put out brief statement via Twitter in an effort to send condolences to the man who some say was an extremely influential figure in the league
ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter tweeted, "The NFL lost one of its most influential figures and the world lost a great man. RIP, Steve Sabol."
Seattle Seahawks head coach Pete Carroll tweeted, "Sad to hear about the passing of Steve Sabol, the president and co-founder of @NFLFilms. Sending condolences to his family and friends"
NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell said in a statement about Sabol's death, "Steve's passion for football was matched by his incredible talent and energy. Steve's legacy will be part of the NFL forever. He was a major contributor to the success of the NFL, a man who changed the way we look at football and sports, and a great friend."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Dionesian ‘Hex’: Pacquiao’s Secret Weapon Behind His 8 Titles
- Manny Pacquiao vs. Chris Algieri Betting Odds: American Knockout Of Filipino Pays $10,000 From A $100 Bet
- Arum Says Pacquiao's Victory vs Algieri May Cause Mayweather To Say ‘No’ To Dream Match
- Brooklyn Nets Agree to Grant Andrei Kirilenko Indefinite Leave of Absence
- Freddie Roach Asks Manny Pacquiao Not To Beat Up Algieri Too Badly So Mayweather Will Not Be Scared And Agree To Super Fight
- Apple and Google Engage in Thermonuclear War, New Google Translate Chat App in the Works
- Russia's New Tactical Nuclear Weapons Program Growing Confident Against the US: Talks of World War III
- Update Samsung Galaxy S5 to Android 4.4.4 KitKat, Sprint Release and Installation
- More Nexus 6 Problems Arise with Android 5.0 Lollipop, Poor Benchmark Results and Other Issues
- HTC One M8 Android 5.0 Lollipop Release Delayed: Other Schedule and Installation Guide
- Israel''s Al Aqsa and East Jerusalem Issues Threatening Its Multi Billion Gas Deal With Jordan
- Eurozone Indicators Forewarn Imminent Recession: Germany's Manufacturing Sector Slows