Steve Sabol, NFL Films President And Co-Founder, Dead At 69. NFL Players And Insiders React On Twitter [PHOTO]
By Carey Vanderborg | September 19, 2012 4:36 AM EST
Steve Sabol, one of the founding members of NFL Films, died on Tuesday morning after he lost his battle with brain cancer at the age of 69.
While he had reportedly suffered a seizure in 2011, doctors discovered an unremovable tumor in Sabol's brain for which he had been receiving treatment ever since, according to TMZ.
Sabol co-founded NFL films as a cameraman, editor, and writer in the 1960s with his father Ed. Together, the two revolutionized the way football fans watched the game. Having won more than 35 Emmy awards over the course of his career, Sabol made his mark on the game with techniques such as dramatic montages, compelling music and candid player sound bites from the field and the sidelines.
Among other things, Sabol will be remembered for pioneering several iconic shows including, "Hard Knocks," "NFL Films Presents" and "Football Follies."
In 2007, the Pro Football Hall of Fame honored Sabol with the Dan Reeves Pioneer Award recognizing his innovative ideas that have contributed to the game of professional football.
Those close to Sabol also put out brief statement via Twitter in an effort to send condolences to the man who some say was an extremely influential figure in the league
ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter tweeted, "The NFL lost one of its most influential figures and the world lost a great man. RIP, Steve Sabol."
Seattle Seahawks head coach Pete Carroll tweeted, "Sad to hear about the passing of Steve Sabol, the president and co-founder of @NFLFilms. Sending condolences to his family and friends"
NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell said in a statement about Sabol's death, "Steve's passion for football was matched by his incredible talent and energy. Steve's legacy will be part of the NFL forever. He was a major contributor to the success of the NFL, a man who changed the way we look at football and sports, and a great friend."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- USA Defeats Lithuania, 96-68; Americans Advance To Championship Round Of 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal’s Coach Reveals The Spanish Athlete Will Be Back On Court Soon
- Michael Schumacher Rehabilitation Update: F1 Champion In-Home Health Care And Services Consist Of 15 Medical Staff
- Miami Heat Prepare For Life Without LeBron James, To Feature More Of Wade And Bosh In New System
- Iggy Azalea Sex Tape: The Story So Far
- Mayweather vs. Pacquiao Superfight Won’t Happen Because Floyd Is Scared Of Left-Handed Boxers, Pacman - Bob Arum
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Why Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Not The Best Smartphone To Purchase Now? If You Still Want To, Wait For A Month To Get It Cheap
- Apple iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 3 October Release Date Roundup: Freshly Leaked Protective Case Debuts Unique Vent Alongside Camera
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Countdown Begins Oct 8: 8 Killer Specs and Features to Expect
- Canadian IS Jihadist Wants to ‘Play Soccer’ with Heads of US Decapitated Soldiers
- Warning to U.S. – ISIS Has Shot Down a Syrian Regime Fighter Jet
- Spice Dream Uno vs Xiaomi Redmi 1S: Android One Smartphone to Challenge The Existing Budget Friendly Smartphone