Steve Sabol, NFL Films President And Co-Founder, Dead At 69. NFL Players And Insiders React On Twitter [PHOTO]
By Carey Vanderborg | September 19, 2012 4:36 AM EST
Steve Sabol, one of the founding members of NFL Films, died on Tuesday morning after he lost his battle with brain cancer at the age of 69.
While he had reportedly suffered a seizure in 2011, doctors discovered an unremovable tumor in Sabol's brain for which he had been receiving treatment ever since, according to TMZ.
Sabol co-founded NFL films as a cameraman, editor, and writer in the 1960s with his father Ed. Together, the two revolutionized the way football fans watched the game. Having won more than 35 Emmy awards over the course of his career, Sabol made his mark on the game with techniques such as dramatic montages, compelling music and candid player sound bites from the field and the sidelines.
Among other things, Sabol will be remembered for pioneering several iconic shows including, "Hard Knocks," "NFL Films Presents" and "Football Follies."
In 2007, the Pro Football Hall of Fame honored Sabol with the Dan Reeves Pioneer Award recognizing his innovative ideas that have contributed to the game of professional football.
Those close to Sabol also put out brief statement via Twitter in an effort to send condolences to the man who some say was an extremely influential figure in the league
ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter tweeted, "The NFL lost one of its most influential figures and the world lost a great man. RIP, Steve Sabol."
Seattle Seahawks head coach Pete Carroll tweeted, "Sad to hear about the passing of Steve Sabol, the president and co-founder of @NFLFilms. Sending condolences to his family and friends"
NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell said in a statement about Sabol's death, "Steve's passion for football was matched by his incredible talent and energy. Steve's legacy will be part of the NFL forever. He was a major contributor to the success of the NFL, a man who changed the way we look at football and sports, and a great friend."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
Join the Conversation
- 2014 FIBA World Cup Final: USA Vs. Serbia Live Streaming Info, Key Players And Preview
- The Rock Reveals He And John Cena Nearly Fought Backstage [VIDEO]
- Maria Sharapova And Grigor Dimitrov Break Up News
- NFL Week 2: Kansas City Chiefs Vs. Denver Broncos Live Streaming Information And Preview
- Arsenal FC: Wenger Believes Wilshere's Performance Against City Not Enough For Man Utd Legend Paul Scholes
- iPhone 6 vs iPhone 6 Plus vs Galaxy S5 and HTC One M8: Performance, CPU and Health
- Google Release Roundup: Nexus 5 2014, Nexus 6, Nexus 8 and Android L Killer Features
- Samsung Attacks iPhone 6 Plus Through New Galaxy Note 4 Commercial: Apple Claims Imitating Galaxy Note Phablets
- iPhone 6 And IPhone 6 Plus Sold Out, New Stocks To Arrive In October
- Moto G (Gen 2) vs. Xiaomi Redmi 1S—Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Dates Imminent as Moto X Pre-Order Begins & Nexus 7 Deals Ramp Up
- iPhone 6 And iPhone 6 Plus Shipping Has Begun, Expected To Reach Customers’ Doorstep On Sept 19 Launch Date