Steve Sabol, NFL Films President And Co-Founder, Dead At 69. NFL Players And Insiders React On Twitter [PHOTO]
By Carey Vanderborg | September 19, 2012 4:36 AM EST
Steve Sabol, one of the founding members of NFL Films, died on Tuesday morning after he lost his battle with brain cancer at the age of 69.
While he had reportedly suffered a seizure in 2011, doctors discovered an unremovable tumor in Sabol's brain for which he had been receiving treatment ever since, according to TMZ.
Sabol co-founded NFL films as a cameraman, editor, and writer in the 1960s with his father Ed. Together, the two revolutionized the way football fans watched the game. Having won more than 35 Emmy awards over the course of his career, Sabol made his mark on the game with techniques such as dramatic montages, compelling music and candid player sound bites from the field and the sidelines.
Among other things, Sabol will be remembered for pioneering several iconic shows including, "Hard Knocks," "NFL Films Presents" and "Football Follies."
In 2007, the Pro Football Hall of Fame honored Sabol with the Dan Reeves Pioneer Award recognizing his innovative ideas that have contributed to the game of professional football.
Those close to Sabol also put out brief statement via Twitter in an effort to send condolences to the man who some say was an extremely influential figure in the league
ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter tweeted, "The NFL lost one of its most influential figures and the world lost a great man. RIP, Steve Sabol."
Seattle Seahawks head coach Pete Carroll tweeted, "Sad to hear about the passing of Steve Sabol, the president and co-founder of @NFLFilms. Sending condolences to his family and friends"
NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell said in a statement about Sabol's death, "Steve's passion for football was matched by his incredible talent and energy. Steve's legacy will be part of the NFL forever. He was a major contributor to the success of the NFL, a man who changed the way we look at football and sports, and a great friend."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Mayweather vs. Pacquiao Purse Split: $100M For American, $60M For Filipino— Report
- Amir Khan Addresses Roach’s Comments That Pacquiao Used To Knock Out The Bolton-Born Boxer During Sparring Sessions
- Boxing Analyst John Scully Says Floyd Mayweather Is Slipping But Manny Pacquiao Won’t Win In Super Fight In 2015
- Meet Paige VanZant, The Next UFC Sensation In The Women's Division
- Sharapova, Halep, Ivanovic, Wozniacki, Kvitova, Radwanska, Kerber Make Early Commitment To Stuttgart Open
- Russia Is Ready for Shooting War, Will Likely Win Looming Nuclear Showdown with U.S. – Report
- Microsoft Band Runs Out Of Stock, But Offers $10 Gift Voucher To Wait-Listed Customers
- Black Friday And Cyber Monday Sale 2014: AT&T's Cricket Wireless Offers Discounts On Lumia 1320, Galaxy S5, S4 And HTC Desire 510
- ISIS Kidnaps Iraqi Defence Minister’s Family, Executes Female Parliament Candidates
- Google Joins Forces with GoPro Inc with New Google Maps Focusing on Destination
- Target Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Ad Released For Nov. 26, 2014 Includes Deals On Toys, HDTVs And Video Games Such As ‘FIFA 15’ And ‘NHL 15’ For Xbox 360 [WATCH VIDEO]
- 16GB iPhone 6 for $99 at Sam’s Club is the Best 2014 Black Friday Deal Around