Justin Bieber’s Mother Talks Abortion: Why She Chose To Be A Teen Mom
By Justine Ashley Costanza | September 19, 2012 1:24 AM EST
Justin Bieber's mother, Pattie Mallette, has added her two cents to the ongoing abortion debate by sharing her own pro-life story. While promoting her book "Nowhere But Up: The Story of Justin Bieber's Mom," Mallette appeared on the Today Show and spoke about her decision not to have an abortion when she became pregnant with Bieber at age 17.
In the interview, Mallette revealed that she was sexually abused as a child-which led her to make a series of reckless decisions as a teenager.
"I've learned it's normal and natural for anybody who's been through sexual abuse to carry that shame and that blame and feel like there's something wrong with you," she said. "So I definitely carried that."
The 36-year-old said that she eventually attempted to end her own life after "a culmination of, you know, built up over the years with the abuse and the pain and at the time I was messed up with all the drugs and alcohol. I was in a depression and the drugs and alcohol kind of spurred that on some more."
In 1993, after reuniting with her on-again off-again boyfriend, Jeremy Bieber, Mallette discovered she was pregnant.
When asked why she decided against having an abortion, Mallette said: "I just knew I couldn't. I just knew I couldn't. I just know I had to keep him," she said. "And, do the best. I -- you know, I didn't know how I was going to do it. But I just knew that I couldn't -- I couldn't abort. I had to do my best. I had to see what I could do. And I was determined to do whatever it took."
Justin Bieber has also offered his views on the matter.
In a 2011 interview with Rolling Stone, the pop sensation said, "I don't really believe in abortion. I think it is a human. It's like killing a baby."
When asked if rape would constitute the termination of a pregnancy, Bieber took a controversial stance.
"Well, I think that's really sad, but everything happens for a reason. I don't know how that would be a reason," he said. I guess I haven't been in that position, so I wouldn't be able to judge that."
According to USA Today, Bieber wrote the forward to "Nowhere But Up."
"My mom is the strongest woman I've ever met," writes Bieber, "I've always known it, but this book has helped to remind me just how strong she is."
"Nowhere But Up" is now available in print and e-book format. The second part of Mallette's interview will air Wednesday on MSNBC.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17: King Williem-Alexander, Queen Maxima Hold Solemn Reception Ceremony for Victims
- Jennifer Lawrence & Nicholas Hoult Allegedly Split: Mad Max Actor Cheats with Kristen Stewart & Riley Keough - Reports
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
Join the Conversation
- Ed Sheeran Disappoints Taylor Swift and Other A-List Celebrities, Scolded for Spilling Secrets - Reports
- Beyonce and Jay Z: HOV May Have a Sextape with Carmen Bryan, Report Suggests; Queen Bey ‘Beyond Furious’
- The Bachelorette Season 10 (2014) Finale, ATFR Spoilers: Find Out: Will Andi Dorfman Accept the Proposal and is She Still With the Winner
- Jim Parsons Quits The Big Bang Theory News Turns Out Hoax, but Actor ‘Not’ Sure about his Return in Season 8
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy Reports: The Truth Behind the Duchess Miscarriage
- Apple iPhone 6 on Two Confirmed Release Dates, New Parts Leaked Suggesting Bigger iPhone to Come
- Google Nexus 6, 8 with Android L on Release Date Promises Killer Mobile Device Experience
- iPhone 6 Release Date Relevance to iOS Newbies: Specs Meaning, Price Considerations
- HTC One M8 Android 4.4.3 KitKat Update Roll Out, Introducing the HTC One Remix
- Killer Whales Gobble Japanese Whaling Crew
- The Pirate Bay Releases ‘The Mobile Bay’: Mobile Torrent Download Made Easier but Remains Illegal
- Shocking Video of Pedigree Dog Culling in Bali Emerges [Video]