Justin Bieber’s Mother Talks Abortion: Why She Chose To Be A Teen Mom
By Justine Ashley Costanza | September 19, 2012 1:24 AM EST
Justin Bieber's mother, Pattie Mallette, has added her two cents to the ongoing abortion debate by sharing her own pro-life story. While promoting her book "Nowhere But Up: The Story of Justin Bieber's Mom," Mallette appeared on the Today Show and spoke about her decision not to have an abortion when she became pregnant with Bieber at age 17.
In the interview, Mallette revealed that she was sexually abused as a child-which led her to make a series of reckless decisions as a teenager.
"I've learned it's normal and natural for anybody who's been through sexual abuse to carry that shame and that blame and feel like there's something wrong with you," she said. "So I definitely carried that."
The 36-year-old said that she eventually attempted to end her own life after "a culmination of, you know, built up over the years with the abuse and the pain and at the time I was messed up with all the drugs and alcohol. I was in a depression and the drugs and alcohol kind of spurred that on some more."
In 1993, after reuniting with her on-again off-again boyfriend, Jeremy Bieber, Mallette discovered she was pregnant.
When asked why she decided against having an abortion, Mallette said: "I just knew I couldn't. I just knew I couldn't. I just know I had to keep him," she said. "And, do the best. I -- you know, I didn't know how I was going to do it. But I just knew that I couldn't -- I couldn't abort. I had to do my best. I had to see what I could do. And I was determined to do whatever it took."
Justin Bieber has also offered his views on the matter.
In a 2011 interview with Rolling Stone, the pop sensation said, "I don't really believe in abortion. I think it is a human. It's like killing a baby."
When asked if rape would constitute the termination of a pregnancy, Bieber took a controversial stance.
"Well, I think that's really sad, but everything happens for a reason. I don't know how that would be a reason," he said. I guess I haven't been in that position, so I wouldn't be able to judge that."
According to USA Today, Bieber wrote the forward to "Nowhere But Up."
"My mom is the strongest woman I've ever met," writes Bieber, "I've always known it, but this book has helped to remind me just how strong she is."
"Nowhere But Up" is now available in print and e-book format. The second part of Mallette's interview will air Wednesday on MSNBC.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Season 7, Episode 7 Spoilers: Gemma’s World Starts To Crumble in ‘Greensleeves’ [VIDEO]
- 'Fifty Shades of Grey' Plot Update: Sexy Scenes Revealed, Jamie Dornan Kisses Dakota Johnson In Reshoot
- ‘Big Brother Australia’ Lawson’s Girlfriend Reportedly Entering the House Plus Sandra Gets Evicted [VIDEO]
- 'NCIS' Season 12, Episode 5 Spoilers: Gibbs' Gut OKs FBI Agent Leia Pendergast; A Favorite Guest Star Returns [Watch NCIS 12x5 Promo Video]
- Ian Somerhalder–Nina Dobrev Reunion Not Happening: 'The Vampire Diaries' (TVD) Star Is 'Falling In Love' With Nikki Reed—Report
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- Virginia Woman Who Posted Naked Image Of Ex-BF’s New Partner 1st Person Charged Under Revenge Porn Law
- Meizu MX4 Pro To Arrive In November In Black And White Colours, Features Higher Than QHD Display, Exynos 5430 SoC And 3 GB RAM
- Israel Loses A Friend in UN Security Council As New Zealand Replaces Australia
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery