Justin Bieber’s Mother Talks Abortion: Why She Chose To Be A Teen Mom
By Justine Ashley Costanza | September 19, 2012 1:24 AM EST
Justin Bieber's mother, Pattie Mallette, has added her two cents to the ongoing abortion debate by sharing her own pro-life story. While promoting her book "Nowhere But Up: The Story of Justin Bieber's Mom," Mallette appeared on the Today Show and spoke about her decision not to have an abortion when she became pregnant with Bieber at age 17.
In the interview, Mallette revealed that she was sexually abused as a child-which led her to make a series of reckless decisions as a teenager.
"I've learned it's normal and natural for anybody who's been through sexual abuse to carry that shame and that blame and feel like there's something wrong with you," she said. "So I definitely carried that."
The 36-year-old said that she eventually attempted to end her own life after "a culmination of, you know, built up over the years with the abuse and the pain and at the time I was messed up with all the drugs and alcohol. I was in a depression and the drugs and alcohol kind of spurred that on some more."
In 1993, after reuniting with her on-again off-again boyfriend, Jeremy Bieber, Mallette discovered she was pregnant.
When asked why she decided against having an abortion, Mallette said: "I just knew I couldn't. I just knew I couldn't. I just know I had to keep him," she said. "And, do the best. I -- you know, I didn't know how I was going to do it. But I just knew that I couldn't -- I couldn't abort. I had to do my best. I had to see what I could do. And I was determined to do whatever it took."
Justin Bieber has also offered his views on the matter.
In a 2011 interview with Rolling Stone, the pop sensation said, "I don't really believe in abortion. I think it is a human. It's like killing a baby."
When asked if rape would constitute the termination of a pregnancy, Bieber took a controversial stance.
"Well, I think that's really sad, but everything happens for a reason. I don't know how that would be a reason," he said. I guess I haven't been in that position, so I wouldn't be able to judge that."
According to USA Today, Bieber wrote the forward to "Nowhere But Up."
"My mom is the strongest woman I've ever met," writes Bieber, "I've always known it, but this book has helped to remind me just how strong she is."
"Nowhere But Up" is now available in print and e-book format. The second part of Mallette's interview will air Wednesday on MSNBC.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- "Game of Thrones" Season 5 Spoilers -- Arya Stark’s New Costume, Mace Tyrell And Tycho Spotted On The Sets
- ‘Mad Men’ Season 7 [Final Season] Update: Jon Hamm Talks About Surprises And Things Looking Up
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Sept. 19, 2014: Hope Needs To Decide If She Will Stay With Wyatt Or Go With Liam [WATCH VIDEO]
- Nina Dobrev Moves On From Ian Somerhalder: ‘TVD’ Actress Trying To Reconcile With Ex, ‘DWTS’ Star Derek Hough—Report Suggests
- ‘Game of Thrones’ Season 5 Casting: Brothel Guard, Military Officer And More
- Google Nexus 6 Release Date on Q4 2014 Confirmed by T-Mobile Featuring Wi-Fi Calling
- 2 Reasons Nexus 6 Release Date is Worth the Wait: Android L Data Encryption & Material Design
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs. BlackBerry Passport — Specifications, Features, Release Date And Price Showdown
- 3 Signs Apple iPhone 6 Could be in Short Supply Following its Sept 19 Release Date
- Australia Actively Rallying Support For International Coalition Against ISIS
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Update: Pangu Devs Will Outrace Evad3rs in Rollout of iPhone 6, iPad Unlocker
- Micromax Canvas A1 Vs Spice Dream Uno Vs Karbonn Sparkle V: A Choice On Which Android Is The Best