Justin Bieber’s Mother Talks Abortion: Why She Chose To Be A Teen Mom
By Justine Ashley Costanza | September 19, 2012 1:24 AM EST
Justin Bieber's mother, Pattie Mallette, has added her two cents to the ongoing abortion debate by sharing her own pro-life story. While promoting her book "Nowhere But Up: The Story of Justin Bieber's Mom," Mallette appeared on the Today Show and spoke about her decision not to have an abortion when she became pregnant with Bieber at age 17.
In the interview, Mallette revealed that she was sexually abused as a child-which led her to make a series of reckless decisions as a teenager.
"I've learned it's normal and natural for anybody who's been through sexual abuse to carry that shame and that blame and feel like there's something wrong with you," she said. "So I definitely carried that."
The 36-year-old said that she eventually attempted to end her own life after "a culmination of, you know, built up over the years with the abuse and the pain and at the time I was messed up with all the drugs and alcohol. I was in a depression and the drugs and alcohol kind of spurred that on some more."
In 1993, after reuniting with her on-again off-again boyfriend, Jeremy Bieber, Mallette discovered she was pregnant.
When asked why she decided against having an abortion, Mallette said: "I just knew I couldn't. I just knew I couldn't. I just know I had to keep him," she said. "And, do the best. I -- you know, I didn't know how I was going to do it. But I just knew that I couldn't -- I couldn't abort. I had to do my best. I had to see what I could do. And I was determined to do whatever it took."
Justin Bieber has also offered his views on the matter.
In a 2011 interview with Rolling Stone, the pop sensation said, "I don't really believe in abortion. I think it is a human. It's like killing a baby."
When asked if rape would constitute the termination of a pregnancy, Bieber took a controversial stance.
"Well, I think that's really sad, but everything happens for a reason. I don't know how that would be a reason," he said. I guess I haven't been in that position, so I wouldn't be able to judge that."
According to USA Today, Bieber wrote the forward to "Nowhere But Up."
"My mom is the strongest woman I've ever met," writes Bieber, "I've always known it, but this book has helped to remind me just how strong she is."
"Nowhere But Up" is now available in print and e-book format. The second part of Mallette's interview will air Wednesday on MSNBC.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- ‘General Hospital’ Spoilers From Nov. 24-28, 2014 Plus Additional Spoilers For Dec. 1, 2014: Thanksgiving In Port Charles
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 7 Major Spoilers: Daryl Dixon Is Thoughtful in ‘Crossed’
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 7 Spoilers, Air Date: Where To Watch Online, Live Stream ‘Crossed’
- ‘The Young And The Restless’ (Y&R) Nov. 24 – 28 Plus Thanksgiving Special Spoilers: Someone Returns, Kelly Finds Out About Engagement And More [Videos]
- ‘Star Wars 7: The Force Awakens’ Leaked Dialogue Of Han Solo From Upcoming Trailer [Spoilers]
- More Bad News for Android 5.0 Lollipop As Problems Come In for Nexus and Other Devices
- US To Supply Defensive Lethal Weapons To Kiev – A Vey Alarming Signal, Says Russia
- Amazon Black Friday 2014 Deals Start On Nov. 21, 2014 Including Limited-Time Lightning Deals And Deals Of The Day On Clothes, Toys, Jewelry, Watches, Bags, Accessories And Electronics
- Russia's New Tactical Nuclear Weapons Program Growing Confident Against the US: Talks of World War III
- Travel Alert: New Delta Air Lines Airbuses Could Be Seen In Australia Soon
- Walmart Canada Feeling The Heat As Grocery War Intensifies
- Travel Alert: Frequent Flyer Tie-Up Between Virgin Australia, South African Airways Enhanced