Justin Bieber’s Mother Talks Abortion: Why She Chose To Be A Teen Mom
By Justine Ashley Costanza | September 19, 2012 1:24 AM EST
Justin Bieber's mother, Pattie Mallette, has added her two cents to the ongoing abortion debate by sharing her own pro-life story. While promoting her book "Nowhere But Up: The Story of Justin Bieber's Mom," Mallette appeared on the Today Show and spoke about her decision not to have an abortion when she became pregnant with Bieber at age 17.
In the interview, Mallette revealed that she was sexually abused as a child-which led her to make a series of reckless decisions as a teenager.
"I've learned it's normal and natural for anybody who's been through sexual abuse to carry that shame and that blame and feel like there's something wrong with you," she said. "So I definitely carried that."
The 36-year-old said that she eventually attempted to end her own life after "a culmination of, you know, built up over the years with the abuse and the pain and at the time I was messed up with all the drugs and alcohol. I was in a depression and the drugs and alcohol kind of spurred that on some more."
In 1993, after reuniting with her on-again off-again boyfriend, Jeremy Bieber, Mallette discovered she was pregnant.
When asked why she decided against having an abortion, Mallette said: "I just knew I couldn't. I just knew I couldn't. I just know I had to keep him," she said. "And, do the best. I -- you know, I didn't know how I was going to do it. But I just knew that I couldn't -- I couldn't abort. I had to do my best. I had to see what I could do. And I was determined to do whatever it took."
Justin Bieber has also offered his views on the matter.
In a 2011 interview with Rolling Stone, the pop sensation said, "I don't really believe in abortion. I think it is a human. It's like killing a baby."
When asked if rape would constitute the termination of a pregnancy, Bieber took a controversial stance.
"Well, I think that's really sad, but everything happens for a reason. I don't know how that would be a reason," he said. I guess I haven't been in that position, so I wouldn't be able to judge that."
According to USA Today, Bieber wrote the forward to "Nowhere But Up."
"My mom is the strongest woman I've ever met," writes Bieber, "I've always known it, but this book has helped to remind me just how strong she is."
"Nowhere But Up" is now available in print and e-book format. The second part of Mallette's interview will air Wednesday on MSNBC.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kristen Stewart Moving On With Nicholas Hoult, Jennifer Lawrence Dating Chris Martin – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Dating Reports: Jennifer Lawrence Vs Gwyneth Paltrow [PHOTOS]
- 9/11 Dust Cloud Most Likely Have Created Pregnancy Issues: Celebrities Who Posed Nude During Pregnancy
Join the Conversation
- ‘Star Wars: Episode VII’: Han Solo's Super Star Destroyer, Costumes And Weapons
- ‘The Big Bang Theory’: Top 5 Revelations Of Season 8
- 'NCIS' Season 12 Spoilers: Ziva David Out, Tony's New Love Could be Stephanie Jacobsen's Leia; Troian Bellisario Teases 'Reunion' Photo
- 'X-Men: Apocalypse' : Wolverine's Costume's Leaked Image Hints to Traditional Look, Hugh Jackman to Play the Character Till Scripts Excite Him
- ‘Star Wars: Episode VII’: Tatooine Set Leaked, Reveals Tusken Raiders Huts
- Saudi Arabia: Brothers Beheaded For Smuggling Marijuana Into The Kingdom
- ISIS: More Journalists Beheading To Come After James Foley and Steven Sotloff [Video]
- Moto X+1 is Likely Nexus 6 Template; Motorola Shamu is 1st Android Silver with Snapdragon 810 – Reports
- James Foley’s Executioner Has British Accent—A Chilling Reminder That ISIS Has Foreign Members
- ISIS Posts Graphic Beheading Video of US Journalist James Foley
- iPhone 6 Release Date Remains On Course for Sept-Oct 2014 as Apple Delays iWatch Debut to 2015
- James Foley: More Chilling Information Revealed By Escaped Journalists