A French court in Nanterre today upheld a verdict against Closer, the French tabloid that first published photographs of Kate Middleton sunbathing topless on vacation with her husband, Prince William, in what the court called a "brutal display" of the couple's private life. The court ruling stipulated that the magazine must cease printing all of the photos and turn all digital copies over to the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge within 24 hours, or face a $12,000 daily fine if they fail to comply on time or flout the order.
A court in Nanterre, France scored a victory for Kate Middleton and the rest of the royal family on Tuesday, when it ordered the French tabloid Closer to turn over all digital photos of the Duchess of Cambridge or face a $12,000 daily fine.
On Friday, Closer published 14 photos of the Duchess of Cambridge, lying topless on a patio at a private chateau in Provence, France, where the royal couple had been vacationing. The photographs were allegedly taken from the window of a private home nearby, with a camera equipped with a telephoto lens, in a move that Buckingham palace has called "grotesque."
"These snapshots, which showed the intimacy of a couple, partially naked on the terrace of a private home, surrounded by a park several hundred meters from a public road, and being able to legitimately assume that they are protected from passers-by, are by nature particularly intrusive," the court said in the ruling. "[They] were thus subjected to this brutal display the moment the cover appeared."
Aurélien Hamelle, an attorney for the Duke and Duchess, said in the hearing that the wideley publicized photos showed only "particularly simple and deeply intimate moments in the life of this couple that have no reason to be on a magazine cover."
According to Reuters, the injunction also prohibits Closer from selling the photographs, but much of the damage has already been done. Shortly after Closer's publication, two other magazines, Italy's Chi Magazine, and Ireland's Irish Daily Star, also ran the images. Adding further insult to injury, Chi is also the magazine that in 1997 published photographs of Princess Diana's corpse, after crashing in a tunnel in Paris, France during a car chase with paparazzi.
"The incident is reminiscent of the worst excesses of the press and paparazzi during the life of Diana, Princess of Wales, and all the more upsetting to The Duke and Duchess for being so," the palace said in a statement on Friday, reported CNN. "Their Royal Highnesses had every expectation of privacy in the remote house. It is unthinkable that anyone should take such photographs, let alone publish them."
Diana was 36 at the time of her death, and the similarly aggressive actions of the paparazzi toward the royal couple since their wedding have brought back unhappy memories for Britain and Buckingham Palace. But despite the strained relationship between the palace and the paparazzi, this lawsuit marks the first time the royal family has actually sued a tabloid publication.
In addition to the present lawsuit that the palace issued against Mondadori, the publishing house that owns both Closer and Chi, the palace is allegedly also pursuing criminal charges against the photographer, who has presently remained anonymous.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Australia Bids Adieu to Adam Spencer's Mornings on ABC's "702 Breakfast" Show [PHOTOS]
- Top 10 Hottest Celebrities with Shocking Weight Loss (And Find Out Their Secrets!) [PHOTOS]
- SEE PHOTOS! Eva Longoria Wears No Panties at Cannes 2013, Revealed in Embarrassing Wardrobe Malfunction [SLIDESHOW]
- Demi Lovato Snapped Getting Flirty with The X-Factor Boss, Simon Cowell? [PHOTOS]