'Oh My God' Made Without Profit Intentions, Says Akshay Kumar; Sequel on the Cards
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | September 18, 2012 9:24 PM EST
Akshay Kumar's next home production "Oh My God" is a divine comedy made without the intention of making money at the box office. The movie is inspired by a Gujarati play "Kanji Virrudh" and is directed by Umesh Shukla.
"'Oh My God' is not a film which I made to earn money. It's a film which I loved, enjoyed it because I enjoyed the play and what I learnt from the play, I just wanted to share with the audience and that is why I just made this film," Akshay was quoted saying by IANS.
"So there is no expectation from this film, whatever is going to happen. I'm sure people are going to enjoy because it's not a preachy thing. Paresh Rawal is not a baba, he is just having fun in the film and I am having fun, that's it," he added.
The movie will be a fun-filled entertainment and will have actress Sonkshi Sinha grooving to the item song "Go Go Govinda".
Akshay Kumar will play the lead role of modern day Lord Krishna. Though the film includes several religious elements, the movie will be a light comedy and not hurt one's religious ideals, the 45-year-old actor said.
The story revolves around an atheist whose antique shop gets destroyed in an earthquake. It also deals with unconventional happenings in day to day lives.
According to earlier reports, Akshay's mother had asked him to read the Bhagavad Gita before playing his character and the actor was said to have obliged. There were also reports that he even turned vegetarian and that he gifted several dozen copies of the Gita to the film's cast and the crew, Mid Day reported.
Other reports suggested that there may be a sequel to the Umesh Shukla-directed comedy.
"Yes, we are working on a sequel," Paresh said in an interview. As the film has been adapted from a play, the makers have made quite a few changes to make it more appealing," actor-producer Paresh Rawal said according to Press Trust of India.
"Oh My God", which is also co-produced by Akshay Kumar and Ashvini Yard, is all set to hit theatres on Sept 28.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Slow-Moving Yet Unrelenting Hawaii Lava Now Only Inches Away From Pahoa Homes
- Kate Middleton Expecting A Baby Boy For The Second Time Around – Reports [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 6: Kansas City Royals 10, San Francisco Giants 0 [PHOTOS]
- San Francisco Giants Beat Kansas City Royals, 3-2 In Game 7, Wins 2014 MLB World Series [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- This Is Why Japanese Princess Masako Attended First Palace Banquet After 11 Years
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers From Nov. 3-7, 2014: Hunter Tylo Comes Back To 'B&B' As Dr. Taylor Hamilton Hayes While Changes Are Being Made At Forrester Creations
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Oct. 30, 2014: Eric Names Rick The New CEO Of Forrester Creations After Finding Out About Ridge And Caroline [WATCH VIDEO]
- ‘The Bachelor Australia’ Update: Louise And Blake To Make Their First Appearance As A Couple In Australia
- Pregnant Kourtney Kardashian Talks About Marrying Scott Disick, Her Pregnancy Cravings and Picking Out Baby Names
- NATO: Russia's Been Conducting Too Many Military Flights Over Europe
- Moto X 2014 vs. Motorola DROID Turbo - Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Dismantling Of Fukushima Reactor 1 Faces Delays, US Judge Gives Sailor Go Signal To Push Through Lawsuit Against TEPCO Over Radiation
- Samsung Galaxy Note Edge To Be Available Through T-Mobile In The US
- Five Extreme Drop Tests On BlackBerry Passport Reveals Its Endurance [Watch Video]
- Updated iOS 8 Pangu Untethered Jailbreak Now Fully Works with Cydia: Key Fixes & Mods to Expect
- Ex-Ohio Trooper Pleads Guilty To Issuing Sex as Penalty To Women Motorists