Richard Gere Talks About 'Arbitrage' & How He's Still Upset About 2003 Oscar Snub For 'Chicago'
By Maria Vultaggio | September 18, 2012 8:00 AM EST
On Friday, Richard Gere's latest movie "Arbitrage" hit theaters, reminding fans of the actor why he has become one of their Hollywood favorites. During interviews with the Huffington Post and on talk shows, Gere divulged some inside information about the movie and admitted that he was disappointed when he was snubbed at the 2003 Oscars.
Gere appeared in the 2003 film "Chicago" along with Catherine Zeta-Jones, Queen Latifah, Renee Zellweger and John C. Reilly. While his co-stars all landed nominations for that year's Oscars, Gere was left out.
Though he claimed to care little about the Oscars, "Chicago" affected him differently.
"The only time it really bothered me was in 'Chicago'. Everyone else got nominated. I'm waiting for my name and it goes right by me, like, 'Wow, what happened?' I have to admit, that got to me," Gere said on a talk show.
While speaking to the Huffington Post, Gere explains why the audience roots for his "Arbitrage" character, Robert Miller, even though he has committed a heinous crime.
Even though the character does some terrible things, Gere says:
"Yeah, but we all do. That's why you're rooting for him. The things he does are human. The scene in the park with my daughter, where I explain to her what happened -- I certainly spin it in my favor. But, in the end, they were in the realm of rational business. He just lost the bet.
"He made a big bet and he lost. He broke the law in a big way, but it's understandable. It's large compromises with ethics and morality the guy does, but it's all within the realm we all do. We all shave taxes -- white lies to our wives and lovers.
"Everybody does. And I think that's why, in a way, we root for this guy and we identify with him. We all make bad decisions."
The next question that Gere was asked by the Huffington Post has a spoiler answer, so some readers may wish to stop here.
Gere talks about the car accident early in the film that kills his girlfriend:
"I liked it because when I first read the script it resonated with Bernie Madoff and Ted Kennedy ... Chappaquiddick. And Ted Kennedy was one of the most responsible senators that we've ever had. I've worked in Washington now for almost 30 years.
"The best people working in Washington came through his office. They're working on human rights stuff, they're working on health stuff, they're working on civil rights stuff. The best people were trained in his office, came through the stuff he was pushing and working on his entire life.
"But he made one horrible decision. Horrible, horrible decision. So I liked that gray area of someone like that, and adding that to the financial thing, to me, was the perfect storm of a character for two hours."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Derek Jeter With The New York Yankees Through The Years [IN PICTURES]
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- NFL Recap - Week 4: Green Bay Packers 38, Chicago Bears 17 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Recap: New York Giants 45, Washington Redskins 14 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Nina Dobrev To Quit 'The Vampire Diaries' As She Feels 'Uneasy' Working With Ex Ian Somerhalder In Nikki Reed's Presence- Reports
- ‘Batman vs. Superman’ Bruce Wayne May Be In Trouble In Leaked Video [Spoilers]
- Season 4 ‘American Horror Story-Freak Show’ Update: Introduction Of Twisty The Clown Is ‘Brutal’ [VIDEO]
- Robert Pattinson Is Not Proposing FKA Twigs Plus What Kristen Stewart Thinks About RPatz's New Romance- Reports
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5 Filming Spoilers: Beardless Rick Grimes Seems To Be On The Set
- Forget Nexus 6 Release Date, Android Phones Will Soon Showcase Pure Google Apps & Features
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- 3 Reasons to Get the Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Instead of the iPhone 6
- $249.99 Motorola Moto 360 Smartwatch's First Promo Out; 'Stone Leather' Replaces 'Gray Leather' - Available In BestBuy [Watch Video]
- BlackBerry Passport Sold Out As Preorders Reached 200,000
- iOS 8 And iOS 8.0.2 Security Flaw Revealed, Anyone Can Easily Bypass Touch ID And Passcode Security Features
- Australia Cracks Down On International Money Laundering Syndicate