Richard Gere Talks About 'Arbitrage' & How He's Still Upset About 2003 Oscar Snub For 'Chicago'
By Maria Vultaggio | September 18, 2012 8:00 AM EST
On Friday, Richard Gere's latest movie "Arbitrage" hit theaters, reminding fans of the actor why he has become one of their Hollywood favorites. During interviews with the Huffington Post and on talk shows, Gere divulged some inside information about the movie and admitted that he was disappointed when he was snubbed at the 2003 Oscars.
Gere appeared in the 2003 film "Chicago" along with Catherine Zeta-Jones, Queen Latifah, Renee Zellweger and John C. Reilly. While his co-stars all landed nominations for that year's Oscars, Gere was left out.
Though he claimed to care little about the Oscars, "Chicago" affected him differently.
"The only time it really bothered me was in 'Chicago'. Everyone else got nominated. I'm waiting for my name and it goes right by me, like, 'Wow, what happened?' I have to admit, that got to me," Gere said on a talk show.
While speaking to the Huffington Post, Gere explains why the audience roots for his "Arbitrage" character, Robert Miller, even though he has committed a heinous crime.
Even though the character does some terrible things, Gere says:
"Yeah, but we all do. That's why you're rooting for him. The things he does are human. The scene in the park with my daughter, where I explain to her what happened -- I certainly spin it in my favor. But, in the end, they were in the realm of rational business. He just lost the bet.
"He made a big bet and he lost. He broke the law in a big way, but it's understandable. It's large compromises with ethics and morality the guy does, but it's all within the realm we all do. We all shave taxes -- white lies to our wives and lovers.
"Everybody does. And I think that's why, in a way, we root for this guy and we identify with him. We all make bad decisions."
The next question that Gere was asked by the Huffington Post has a spoiler answer, so some readers may wish to stop here.
Gere talks about the car accident early in the film that kills his girlfriend:
"I liked it because when I first read the script it resonated with Bernie Madoff and Ted Kennedy ... Chappaquiddick. And Ted Kennedy was one of the most responsible senators that we've ever had. I've worked in Washington now for almost 30 years.
"The best people working in Washington came through his office. They're working on human rights stuff, they're working on health stuff, they're working on civil rights stuff. The best people were trained in his office, came through the stuff he was pushing and working on his entire life.
"But he made one horrible decision. Horrible, horrible decision. So I liked that gray area of someone like that, and adding that to the financial thing, to me, was the perfect storm of a character for two hours."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- The Pirate Bay Founder Gottfrid Svartholm Clears That Fredrik Neij And Peter Sunde Are Not TPB Founders
- [In Pictures] Police Fire As Protest Turns Into ‘Riot’ After Grand Jury Decision on Ferguson Shooting
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 8 Spoilers: Daryl Dixon Is Set To Burn The Place Down in ‘Coda’
Join the Conversation
- Angelina Jolie, Brad Pitt Photographed Fighting Before ‘Unbroken’ Sydney Premiere – Report [VIDEO]
- Mark Ruffalo Turns Into Hulk For His Daughter And Another Preschooler
- 'NCIS Los Angeles' Season 6 Recap: Episode 9 'Traitor' Aired On Nov. 24, 2014, The Hunt For The ‘NCIS LA’ Mole Is Over [WATCH VIDEOS]
- 'Revenge' Season 4 Spoilers: Daniel, Emily In Twisted Friendship; David Clarke Mystery Growing (Review, Updates)
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Season7, Episode 12 Spoilers: Thanksgiving Break, SAMCRO Returns In December [VIDEO]
- Kobani ISIS Fighter Sends Out Desperate Message For Prayers And Support: Euphoria Turns Into Desperation As Kurds Advance
- Chris Algieri’s Battered Face Trends On Social Media
- Home Depot Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Up To Nov. 29, 2014 Includes Special Buys On Appliances Such As Samsung Refrigerators, Whirlpool Electric Ranges And Hoover Vacuum Cleaners
- Microsoft Band Runs Out Of Stock, But Offers $10 Gift Voucher To Wait-Listed Customers
- Black Friday Sale 2014 Deals From Amazon On Smartphones, TVs, Headsets And More
- Andrew Robb Asks Obama Not to ‘Lecture’ Australia on Climate Change
- Highest Paid NBA Players 2014: NBA Stars Who Earn More Than LeBron James