Rangers Agree to One-year Extension With Colby Lewis
September 18, 2012 6:29 AM EST
(Reuters) - Texas Rangers starting pitcher Colby Lewis has signed a one-year contract to remain with the club despite having season-ending surgery in July to repair a torn tendon in his elbow, the team said on Monday.
Financial terms of the deal for the 33-year-old Lewis, who could have become a free agent following the 2012 Major League Baseball season, were not disclosed.
Lewis, the Opening Day starter for Texas this season, went 6-6 with a 3.43 earned run average in 16 starts for the Rangers in 2012 and has compiled a 32-29 record with a 3.93 ERA since rejoining the club prior to the 2010 campaign.
A first-round draft pick by Texas in 1999, Lewis spent the first six years of his professional career in the Rangers organization before injuries and poor form sent him out of the major leagues.
Lewis regained his form and confidence after a two-year stint with the Hiroshima Carp in Japan and re-signed with Texas before the 2010 season.
The right-hander has thrived in the postseason for a Rangers team that represented the American League in the World Series the past two years.
Lewis has gone 4-1 in eight career postseason starts with a 2.34 ERA that trails only New York Yankees reliever Mariano Rivera (0.70) among active pitchers with 50 or more innings.
(Reporting by Larry Fine in New York; Editing by Frank Pingue)
Join the Conversation
- Mayweather vs. Pacquiao Purse Split: $100M For American, $60M For Filipino— Report
- Amir Khan Addresses Roach’s Comments That Pacquiao Used To Knock Out The Bolton-Born Boxer During Sparring Sessions
- Boxing Analyst John Scully Says Floyd Mayweather Is Slipping But Manny Pacquiao Won’t Win In Super Fight In 2015
- Meet Paige VanZant, The Next UFC Sensation In The Women's Division
- Michael Schumacher Condition: Manager Sabine Kehm Says The 7-Time World Champion Is Making ‘Progress Appropriate To The Severity Of His Situation’
- Russia Is Ready for Shooting War, Will Likely Win Looming Nuclear Showdown with U.S. – Report
- Microsoft Band Runs Out Of Stock, But Offers $10 Gift Voucher To Wait-Listed Customers
- Google Joins Forces with GoPro Inc with New Google Maps Focusing on Destination
- Target Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Ad Released For Nov. 26, 2014 Includes Deals On Toys, HDTVs And Video Games Such As ‘FIFA 15’ And ‘NHL 15’ For Xbox 360 [WATCH VIDEO]
- 16GB iPhone 6 for $99 at Sam’s Club is the Best 2014 Black Friday Deal Around
- Lumia Update Will Come Soon Confirms Microsoft
- Black Friday And Cyber Monday Sale 2014: AT&T's Cricket Wireless Offers Discounts On Lumia 1320, Galaxy S5, S4 And HTC Desire 510