Rangers Agree to One-year Extension With Colby Lewis
September 18, 2012 6:29 AM EST
(Reuters) - Texas Rangers starting pitcher Colby Lewis has signed a one-year contract to remain with the club despite having season-ending surgery in July to repair a torn tendon in his elbow, the team said on Monday.
Financial terms of the deal for the 33-year-old Lewis, who could have become a free agent following the 2012 Major League Baseball season, were not disclosed.
Lewis, the Opening Day starter for Texas this season, went 6-6 with a 3.43 earned run average in 16 starts for the Rangers in 2012 and has compiled a 32-29 record with a 3.93 ERA since rejoining the club prior to the 2010 campaign.
A first-round draft pick by Texas in 1999, Lewis spent the first six years of his professional career in the Rangers organization before injuries and poor form sent him out of the major leagues.
Lewis regained his form and confidence after a two-year stint with the Hiroshima Carp in Japan and re-signed with Texas before the 2010 season.
The right-hander has thrived in the postseason for a Rangers team that represented the American League in the World Series the past two years.
Lewis has gone 4-1 in eight career postseason starts with a 2.34 ERA that trails only New York Yankees reliever Mariano Rivera (0.70) among active pitchers with 50 or more innings.
(Reporting by Larry Fine in New York; Editing by Frank Pingue)
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal On Roger Federer: ‘He’s A Good Person, A Fantastic Player And A Great Man On Court’
- Jeremy Lin’s Big Break: Steve Nash Out For The Season For The Los Angeles Lakers
- NBA News: Teammate Stresses Jeremy Lin's Importance To The Lakers
- Croatian Boxer Banned For Life From Sport After Vicious Attack On Polish Referee [VIDEO]
- Manny Pacquiao Is Better Than Floyd Mayweather Jr. In Basketball Claims Freddie Roach
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- Android Lollipop 5.0 Confirmed for Nov 3 Rollout as Nexus 6 Global Release Date is Delayed – Reports