49ers Remain Undefeated with Home Win Over Lions
September 18, 2012 2:39 AM EST
The San Francisco 49ers maintained their strong start to the season with a victory over another 2012 NFC playoff team as quarterback Alex Smith and the 49ers tough defense held off the Detroit Lions at Candlestick Park on Sunday night, 27-19.
In Week One, San Francisco defeated the Green Bay Packers at Lambeau Field, and the 49ers are currently only one of three teams in the NFC with a 2-0 record.
Smith completed 20 passes on 31 attempts for 226 yards and two touchdowns, and his fourth-quarter strike to tight end Vernon Davis helped seal the victory for Jim Harbaugh's squad.
It was an impressive drive by Smith, who led the offense from their own 21-yard line to the end zone on 13 plays. The touchdown gave the 49ers a comfortable 15-point advantage.
The Lions would respond with a touchdown minutes later, but their onside kick failed and the 49ers were able to end the game on possession. The Lions trailed the entire game, and were hurt by Matthew Stafford's first-quarter interception in Detroit territory, which led to a 49ers touchdown.
Detroit could have also used more production from their running game. The Lions rushed for a total of only 82 yards on 26 carries.
Running back Frank Gore ran for 89 yards on 17 carries for the 49ers.
One of the story lines heading into the game ended without controversy. In 2011, Lions head coach Jim Schwartz and 49ers head coach Jim Harbaugh got involved in a heated exchange during the post-game handshake following the 49ers close victory at Ford Field.
There was no problem on Sunday, as Schwartz and Harbaugh were quick to shake hands prior to the game and ended the game with a cordial response.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao vs. Chris Algieri Betting Odds: American Knockout Of Filipino Pays $10,000 From A $100 Bet
- 2014 Davis Cup Final: Switzerland Vs. France - Roger Federer Vs. Gael Monfils Live Streaming Info and Preview
- Brooklyn Nets Agree to Grant Andrei Kirilenko Indefinite Leave of Absence
- Freddie Roach Asks Manny Pacquiao Not To Beat Up Algieri Too Badly So Mayweather Will Not Be Scared And Agree To Super Fight
- Chelsea FC Injury Update: Diego Costa Fully Fit Ahead Of West Brom Clash, Says Mourinho
- Walmart Pre-Black Friday 2014 Sale On Nov. 21, 2014 Includes Discounts On The 'NBA 2K15' For PS4 And The 'Skylanders Trap Team’ Starter Kit [WATCH VIDEO]
- More Bad News for Android 5.0 Lollipop As Problems Come In for Nexus and Other Devices
- US To Supply Defensive Lethal Weapons To Kiev – A Vey Alarming Signal, Says Russia
- Amazon Black Friday 2014 Deals Start On Nov. 21, 2014 Including Limited-Time Lightning Deals And Deals Of The Day On Clothes, Toys, Jewelry, Watches, Bags, Accessories And Electronics
- Travel Alert: New Delta Air Lines Airbuses Could Be Seen In Australia Soon
- Walmart Canada Feeling The Heat As Grocery War Intensifies
- Travel Alert: Frequent Flyer Tie-Up Between Virgin Australia, South African Airways Enhanced