Manchester United Transfer News: Ronaldo, Fellaini, Ogbonna and Ranocchia Involved in Latest Speculation
By Jason Le Miere | September 18, 2012 12:38 AM EST
Despite his problems in Madrid, Cristiano Ronaldo will not be making a sensational return to Manchester United, according to Real manager Jose Mourinho.
Ronaldo complained of being unhappy with certain events at the Spanish champions following his failure to celebrate after scoring against Granada two weeks ago. The Portuguese forward's comments sparked rumors of a potential return to Manchester United, or a big-money transfer to rivals Manchester City.
While both player and club have since tried to quell the speculation over the player's future, Ronaldo and Real's troubles continued on Saturday with their second defeat in just four La Liga matches, against Sevilla.
Speaking before the match in Seville, Mourinho said that his star man would not be going anywhere.
"I would say to every club to forget Cristiano," he said, according to the Sun.
"Don't waste your time... Cristiano and Real Madrid are perfect for each other.
"If Cristiano's sad but plays the same-that's perfect for me."
While a return to Old Trafford for Ronaldo has always appeared massively unlikely, there has been increasing speculation that United could make a move for Everton's Marouane Fellaini. The midfielder's stock rose to new heights following a dominating, game-winning performance against United on the opening weekend of the Premier League season.
The Daily Mirror are the latest publication to claim that United boss Sir Alex Ferguson is a big fan of the Belgium international and is monitoring his situation at Goodison Park.
Fellaini recently sparked controversy with comments that this could well be his last season at Everton and that he could even leave the club in the January transfer window. But Everton boss David Moyes has said that any club wishing to sign the 24-year-old will have to pay big money.
"I have got no problem if other clubs start circling for my players," he said, according to the Sunday Mirror. "None at all.
"What I do know is that they can't come in and take any of my players until January and we are only in September.
"Whatever happens now, whatever Fellaini says, he is here for at least the next four months.
"He might be here even longer than that, I don't know.
"What I do know for certain, though, is that Fellaini has got a five-year contract here.
"So clubs can circle, but the window has just shut, and we're in a strong position as far as his contract is concerned."
Reports in Italy have also claimed that United are interested in two Serie A defenders. According to a story on Sport Mediaset on Saturday, Ferguson was set to travel to Turin on Sunday to watch Angelo Ogbonna in action for Torino against Inter Milan.
Ferguson is said to be a long-term admirer of the 24-year-old center-back, who has won five caps for Italy. However, Torino president Urban Cairo is said to be reluctant to part with Ogbonna and already rejected an offer from Roma last summer. Cairo is said to have set a valuation of €20 million (£16m) for the player, who is also interesting Everton and Milan.
The report also suggests that Ferguson was also set to check on the progress of Inter defender Andrea Ranocchia. The 24-year-old fellow-Italian international has been a regular for Inter this season.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- ESPN Anchor Skip Bayless Says Floyd Mayweather Jr Will Not Fight Manny Pacquiao Because Undefeated Fighter Is ‘Afraid To Lose’
- Amir Khan Addresses Roach’s Comments That Pacquiao Used To Knock Out The Bolton-Born Boxer During Sparring Sessions
- Chelsea FC: Jose Mourinho Hits Back At Sergio Ramos For Questioning Costa And Fabregas Absence From NT, Says 'He is Not A Doctor'
- Mayweather vs. Pacquiao Purse Split: $100M For American, $60M For Filipino— Report
- Liverpool FC: Brendan Rodgers Accedes That His Days As Reds Boss Could Be Numbered
- Kobani ISIS Fighter Sends Out Desperate Message For Prayers And Support: Euphoria Turns Into Desperation As Kurds Advance
- Chris Algieri’s Battered Face Trends On Social Media
- Home Depot Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Up To Nov. 29, 2014 Includes Special Buys On Appliances Such As Samsung Refrigerators, Whirlpool Electric Ranges And Hoover Vacuum Cleaners
- Black Friday Sale 2014 Deals From Amazon On Smartphones, TVs, Headsets And More
- Microsoft Band Runs Out Of Stock, But Offers $10 Gift Voucher To Wait-Listed Customers
- Andrew Robb Asks Obama Not to ‘Lecture’ Australia on Climate Change
- Highest Paid NBA Players 2014: NBA Stars Who Earn More Than LeBron James