First Apple iPhone 5 Preorders Begin Shipping From China; Enthusiasts Start Camping Outside Flagship Apple Stores
By Valli Meenakshi Ramanathan | September 17, 2012 5:40 PM EST
As the launch date for Apple iPhone 5 comes closer, customers who placed the first preorders for the iPhone 5 are noticing updates that point to their orders being shipped from China, AppleInsider reported.
Reportedly, a delivery update from UPS notes that shipment began transit Sunday and delivery has started from ZhengZhou, China.
Even MacRumors confirmed that several readers reported that shipments had commenced from China. Earlier, it was a common practice for Apple to issue instructions to local warehouses to spread out the preorder delivery or withhold deliveries at local warehouses until the target date.
However, with the iPhone 5, the delivery date for the first preorders is set for Friday. And for those who are keen to learn their tracking number from Apple, they may learn about it from the UPS website, MacRumors stated.
In an attempt to know more about the date of manufacture, enthusiasts are decoding serial numbers. Reportedly, the earliest manufacture date points to Aug. 5-11. And those who placed preorders on Apple.com can locate their device serial number in on the "Support Profile" page of the company website.
Publications including Fortune note that enthusiasts have started queuing up at the New York City Fifth Avenue Apple store. Reportedly, those spotted seem to be present for promotional purposes rather than personal purchase.
Even in the UK, MailOnline reported Friday that people commenced camping outside the company's flagship store on London's Regent Street since Thursday.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- California Fruits Recalled in USA and Canada for Possible Listeria Contamination
- Malaysian Airlines Flight 17: Air Carrier Losing $1.6 Million/Day; Crisis Management Experts Suggest Hiring Risk Expert as CEO
- The IBM and Apple Merger: Will it Spell Trouble to Rival Companies
- CBA, NAB, Westpac in Fixed Rate War Offering Below 5% Interest
- KFC & McDonald’s Accused of Serving ‘Expired’ Meat to Customers
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Soon Along with 2 More HTC Android Tablets – Reports
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales