First Apple iPhone 5 Preorders Begin Shipping From China; Enthusiasts Start Camping Outside Flagship Apple Stores
By Valli Meenakshi Ramanathan | September 17, 2012 5:40 PM EST
As the launch date for Apple iPhone 5 comes closer, customers who placed the first preorders for the iPhone 5 are noticing updates that point to their orders being shipped from China, AppleInsider reported.
Reportedly, a delivery update from UPS notes that shipment began transit Sunday and delivery has started from ZhengZhou, China.
Even MacRumors confirmed that several readers reported that shipments had commenced from China. Earlier, it was a common practice for Apple to issue instructions to local warehouses to spread out the preorder delivery or withhold deliveries at local warehouses until the target date.
However, with the iPhone 5, the delivery date for the first preorders is set for Friday. And for those who are keen to learn their tracking number from Apple, they may learn about it from the UPS website, MacRumors stated.
In an attempt to know more about the date of manufacture, enthusiasts are decoding serial numbers. Reportedly, the earliest manufacture date points to Aug. 5-11. And those who placed preorders on Apple.com can locate their device serial number in on the "Support Profile" page of the company website.
Publications including Fortune note that enthusiasts have started queuing up at the New York City Fifth Avenue Apple store. Reportedly, those spotted seem to be present for promotional purposes rather than personal purchase.
Even in the UK, MailOnline reported Friday that people commenced camping outside the company's flagship store on London's Regent Street since Thursday.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
Join the Conversation
- Toyota Tops World Sales of Cars, Sells Over 5K Million Vehicles in First Half of 2014
- Man Swindles Apple for $309,768 in 16 States
- Texas Man Selling Condo With ‘Funniest and Most Revealing Ad’
- Air New Zealand Pays $1000 to NZ9 Passengers After Three-Night Delay
- Qatar's Surging Real Estate Prices Won't Affect Thriving Economy – Report
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17: Parents of Australian Passenger Want ‘Space Scientists’ to Investigate Crash; Believe in ‘Possibility’ of Survival -- Report
- Childhood Obesity is Strongly Linked With Early Puberty: Study Reveals
- Why Internet of Things is the Next Big Thing for Tech Giants like Samsung, Google and Apple
- Instagram's Newest App Bolt Now Available Exclusively in New Zealand, Singapore and South Africa
- Megan Fox's Weight Loss Aided by Low Carb Paleo Diet: Benefits of the Diet