Chicago School Daze: Strike To Continue A While Longer
By J.J. McGrath | September 17, 2012 10:08 AM EST
The Chicago Public Schools will be closed both Monday and Tuesday, as the majority of the 800 members of the Chicago Teachers Union's House of Delegates who gathered Sunday voted to continue the CTU's first strike in 25 years.
CTU officers presented a 23-page document outlining the most important points of a tentative collective-bargaining agreement whose outline has been worked out between labor and management representatives, according to the CTU Blog.
In voting to continue the walkout that began Sept. 10, the CTU's House of Delegates allowed two more days for delegates to take the contract information to the picket lines and hold discussions with more than 26,000 members throughout Chicago, the union said.
As a result, school staff and teachers will return to their picket lines Monday at 7:30 a.m. CDT. After the picketing, they will have a chance to discuss the tentative proposal, the union said.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
Join the Conversation
- Canada Results Show Low Math Score In Grade 3 & 6
- BC Teachers’ Strike Reaches Tentative Deal With Government, Date of Class Resumptions Still Not Sure
- BC Labour Unions Offer $8M Interest-Free Loans to Striking Teachers; Surplus Won’t Be Used to Settle Teachers’ Strike – Finance Minister
- 12-Year Old's Racy Photos And Erotica Literature Discovered In iPad School Provided
- Boxing News: Manny Pacquiao Boxing Education Institute to Open in China
- Google Release Roundup: New Nexus 6, Nexus 8, Android 5.0 L Launch and Killer Features
- Xperia Z, Xperia ZL, Xperia ZR Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide
- Samsung SM-A500 (aka Wallet-Friendly Galaxy Alpha) Clears TENAA Revealing Images And Specs
- Amazon Announces Kindle Fire HD 6, Kindle Fire HD 7 Tablets; Official Release Date Is Oct 2
- 'ISIL Has To Be Defeated, Plain And Simple, End Of Story,' Sen. John Kerry
- Chinese Property Developer Flees To New Zealand After China Arrests Vice-Mayor For Corrupt Deals
- Amazon Announces 7 New Kindles: Upgraded Amazon 8.9-inch Kindle Fire HDX Available Now On Pre-order