Warren Buffett Smiles Bright On Completion Of Cancer Treatments
By Valli Meenakshi Ramanathan | September 16, 2012 9:07 PM EST
There is some good news cheering up Warren Buffet, the Oracle of Omaha, as he announced completion of cancer treatments, Sept.14.
Speaking to executives representing newspapers he acquired in recent months, Berkshire Hathaway CEO said: "It's a great day for me. Today, I had my 44th and last day of radiation," Berkshire-owned Omaha World-Herald reported.
Earlier, in April 2012, Buffett, 82, revealed that he was diagnosed with Stage 1 prostate cancer and noted that it "is not remotely life-threatening or even debilitating in any meaningful way."
"If you're 81, and you have stage one prostate cancer, it's not going to be the thing that kills you in all probability. And you engage in radiation, which even reduces it further," Buffett told Bloomberg
Buffett who celebrated his birthday Aug.30, distributed more of his $44 billion fortune on the occasion to his three children, for their charitable foundations, the Associated Press (AP) reported.
In February 2012, Berkshire stated it had identified the manager who would step in as CEO if necessary and that there were two back-up candidates.
Apparently, the billionaire has said his son, Howard Buffett, a farmer and Berkshire director, would help maintain the company's identity as non-executive chairman. Berkshire has hired two former hedge fund managers Todd Combs and Ted Weschler in the past two years to help oversee investments, Bloomberg pointed out.
According to the American Joint Committee on Cancer, stage 1 prostate cancer does not cause symptoms. It is estimated that half of 90-year-old men have it.
Expressing relief on completion of radiation treatments, Buffett said: "I'll be feeling the side effects for a few weeks yet, but I am so glad to say that's over."
The Berkshire Hathaway scrip (NYSE: BRK-A) closed Sept.14, at $133,000, up $149 posting 0.11 percent gain over the previous close.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Virginia Woman Who Posted Naked Image Of Ex-BF’s New Partner 1st Person Charged Under Revenge Porn Law
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report
- Google Nexus 6 vs. iPhone 5S: 4 Important Things to Consider Before Switching to Android Lollipop
- Swedish Military Spots ‘Russian Submarine’ Off Stockholm Coast, An Alarming ‘Security Game Changer’
- Canada Raises National Terror Alert Level after Suspected Jihadist Runs Over Soldier
- Galaxy Note 4: Best Big-Screen Phone, Says Samsung; Analysts Believe Note 4 Unlikely To Beat iPhone 6 Plus [Watch Video]