Warren Buffett Smiles Bright On Completion Of Cancer Treatments
By Valli Meenakshi Ramanathan | September 16, 2012 9:07 PM EST
There is some good news cheering up Warren Buffet, the Oracle of Omaha, as he announced completion of cancer treatments, Sept.14.
Speaking to executives representing newspapers he acquired in recent months, Berkshire Hathaway CEO said: "It's a great day for me. Today, I had my 44th and last day of radiation," Berkshire-owned Omaha World-Herald reported.
Earlier, in April 2012, Buffett, 82, revealed that he was diagnosed with Stage 1 prostate cancer and noted that it "is not remotely life-threatening or even debilitating in any meaningful way."
"If you're 81, and you have stage one prostate cancer, it's not going to be the thing that kills you in all probability. And you engage in radiation, which even reduces it further," Buffett told Bloomberg
Buffett who celebrated his birthday Aug.30, distributed more of his $44 billion fortune on the occasion to his three children, for their charitable foundations, the Associated Press (AP) reported.
In February 2012, Berkshire stated it had identified the manager who would step in as CEO if necessary and that there were two back-up candidates.
Apparently, the billionaire has said his son, Howard Buffett, a farmer and Berkshire director, would help maintain the company's identity as non-executive chairman. Berkshire has hired two former hedge fund managers Todd Combs and Ted Weschler in the past two years to help oversee investments, Bloomberg pointed out.
According to the American Joint Committee on Cancer, stage 1 prostate cancer does not cause symptoms. It is estimated that half of 90-year-old men have it.
Expressing relief on completion of radiation treatments, Buffett said: "I'll be feeling the side effects for a few weeks yet, but I am so glad to say that's over."
The Berkshire Hathaway scrip (NYSE: BRK-A) closed Sept.14, at $133,000, up $149 posting 0.11 percent gain over the previous close.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Pope Francis Meets Sudanese Woman Who Was Spared Death for Apostasy (PHOTOS)
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17: King Williem-Alexander, Queen Maxima Hold Solemn Reception Ceremony for Victims
- Jennifer Lawrence & Nicholas Hoult Allegedly Split: Mad Max Actor Cheats with Kristen Stewart & Riley Keough - Reports
- Transfer News: FC Barcelona Shockingly Sign Valencia Defender [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Fast Food Meat Scandal: McDonald’s Suspend Nuggets and McSpicy Chicken Filets
- Air New Zealand Flies Boeing 787-9 Dreamliner
- Malaysia Airlines Considers Changing Name After MH370 and MH17 Tragedies
- Solution to Your Old Unwanted Phones Comes with MobileMuster Scheme
- IBM Named Leader in Worldwide Managed Security Services
- Apple iPhone 6 on Two Confirmed Release Dates, New Parts Leaked Suggesting Bigger iPhone to Come
- Nexus 5 and Nexus 7 Android 5.0 L Material Design Coming with More Interface Changes
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs OnePlusOne vs Nexus 5: Mi4 is the ‘Perfect’ Phone
- Israeli Women Stripping Naked for IDF Soldiers
- Samsung Galaxy S4 LTE-A Android 4.4.2 KitKat Update Rolls Out: When to Hit Your Region
- HTC One M8 Android 4.4.3 KitKat Update Roll Out, Introducing the HTC One Remix
- Shocking Video of Pedigree Dog Culling in Bali Emerges [Video]