Warren Buffett Smiles Bright On Completion Of Cancer Treatments
By Valli Meenakshi Ramanathan | September 16, 2012 9:07 PM EST
There is some good news cheering up Warren Buffet, the Oracle of Omaha, as he announced completion of cancer treatments, Sept.14.
Speaking to executives representing newspapers he acquired in recent months, Berkshire Hathaway CEO said: "It's a great day for me. Today, I had my 44th and last day of radiation," Berkshire-owned Omaha World-Herald reported.
Earlier, in April 2012, Buffett, 82, revealed that he was diagnosed with Stage 1 prostate cancer and noted that it "is not remotely life-threatening or even debilitating in any meaningful way."
"If you're 81, and you have stage one prostate cancer, it's not going to be the thing that kills you in all probability. And you engage in radiation, which even reduces it further," Buffett told Bloomberg
Buffett who celebrated his birthday Aug.30, distributed more of his $44 billion fortune on the occasion to his three children, for their charitable foundations, the Associated Press (AP) reported.
In February 2012, Berkshire stated it had identified the manager who would step in as CEO if necessary and that there were two back-up candidates.
Apparently, the billionaire has said his son, Howard Buffett, a farmer and Berkshire director, would help maintain the company's identity as non-executive chairman. Berkshire has hired two former hedge fund managers Todd Combs and Ted Weschler in the past two years to help oversee investments, Bloomberg pointed out.
According to the American Joint Committee on Cancer, stage 1 prostate cancer does not cause symptoms. It is estimated that half of 90-year-old men have it.
Expressing relief on completion of radiation treatments, Buffett said: "I'll be feeling the side effects for a few weeks yet, but I am so glad to say that's over."
The Berkshire Hathaway scrip (NYSE: BRK-A) closed Sept.14, at $133,000, up $149 posting 0.11 percent gain over the previous close.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
- Dwyane Wade, Joe Johnson, Amare Stoudemire Among Worst Contracts In The NBA (Part 2 - Eastern Conference)
- Brawl-Marred Game in NFL Week 3: Philadelphia Eagles 37, Washington Redskins 34 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Date is Halloween 2014 as Android L Intro Set for October 16
- New Samsung Galaxy Note 4 and Galaxy S5 Android 5.0 L Killer Features, Encryption and More
- Moto G 2014 v Asus Zenfone 5 – Specification Comparison Shows Zenfone 5 Is A Good Alternative for Moto G
- Android 5.0 L Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Nexus 7 Release in October, Google Employees Offer Hint
- Microsoft Doubles OneDrive Space To 30GB Due To iOS 8 Update Issues
- Nexus 8, Nexus 9 Release Date, Device Name And Price Conundrum: What To Expect?
- G20 Summit in Nov: No Consensus to Bar Russia, Putin Open to Attend in Australia