CodefireX is the latest CyanogenMod 10 ROM to be released for the Samsung Galaxy S3. It allows tech enthusiasts to install the Android 4.1 (Jelly Bean) operating system on their smartphones and reportedly provides power-user features.
The developer ZanzDroid, a member of the XDA Developers' forum, claims that the CodefireX Jelly Bean is completely up to date. Since the ROM is unofficial, users may encounter bugs or problems. Samsung-specific features may not be available since the ROM is an unofficial custom stock Android ROM.
Follow the steps below to install CodefireX ROM on Samsung Galaxy S3. The method involves risk of data damage. IBTimes UK advises users to proceed at their own risk and will not be held responsible for any consequences.
- Please keep in mind that the ROM and method below are compatible only with the international variant of Samsung Galaxy S3 (model number i9300). Do not attempt to try the method on any other variants. In order to check the model go to Settings > About phone.
- The method will delete all data, settings and apps. IBTimes UK advises users to make a back-up of all data including APN settings before installation.
- Finally, ensure that the device has ClockworkMod recovery already installed.
How to install CodefireX ROM on Galaxy S3
- Download and install latest version of ROM from official thread at XDA Developers' forum.
- Download Google Apps package from here.
- Copy both downloaded files to your device's internal SD card.
- Boot the device into CWM recovery. To do so, switch off the phone. Now, press and hold Volume Up and Power buttons both together, until the screen turns on. Now, release all the buttons. In few seconds, the device will boot into CWM recovery.
- Make a Nandroid back-up of the existing ROM. To do so, go to Backup and Restore > select Backup once again. On completing backup, go back to main recovery menu.
- Choose Wipe Data/ Factory Reset and then choose "Yes" to confirm the installation. Wait until the wiping process completes.
- Now, choose install zip from sdcard and then select choose zip from sdcard. Scroll to ROM and select it. Once again, choose "Yes" to confirm installation. The ROM will begin installing.
- After installing ROM, select choose zip from sdcard and then choose Google Apps package file for installation.
- Finally, choose go back and then choose reboot system now in order to reboot the device into CodefireX ROM.
Note: Users who wish to revert to the previous ROM should follow step 4 and choose backup and restore. Now, choose restore in order to restore the ROM.
CodefireX ROM, based on Jelly Bean, is now installed and running on your Galaxy S3 i9300.
[Information Courtesy: The Android Soul]
To contact the editor, e-mail: