Mandy Patinkin's Regret For 'Criminal Minds' Reminds Fans That, For Actors, A Show Is A Job
By Jeff Stone | September 16, 2012 1:38 AM EST
No one will accuse Mandy Patinkin of not telling fans what he really thinks. During a recent interview with New York magazine, the former "Criminal Minds" actor opened up about his disdain for that show, saying he considers it one of the low points of his whole career.
"The biggest public mistake I ever made was that I chose to do 'Criminal Minds' in the first place," Patinkin said. "I thought it was something very different. I never thought they were going to kill and rape all these women every night, every day, week after week, year after year. It was very destructive to my soul and my personality. After that, I didn't think I would get to work in television again."
"And 16 hours a day, nine-and-a-half months of the year, was destroying my heart and soul. It was very, very destructive to me and made me very sad," Patinkin continued in the interview. "And there were scripts that came to me that I voiced disapproval of, I spoke to the studio, the network, I couldn't believe that certain people would accept that this would go out there, and I began to feel ill about being a part of a world - now it is a world - bedtime story which - the last thing that people watch before they go to bed. And it's married to fear, in fairness to it, and part of the theory of the success of these shows, in my opinion, and in some great psychologists' opinions, is the fear factor."
During his time on the CBS drama, Patinkin played a senior supervisory special agent named Jason Gideon. He was on the show for three seasons, but Patinkin's regret soon fizzled when he picked up the script for the critically beloved "Homeland."
Starring in the series alongside Claire Daines and Damian Lewis, Patinkin plays a CIA agent responsible for investigating whether an American hero returning home from overseas is really a spy for the enemy. Patinkin's Saul Berenson acts as the mentor to Daines' Carrie Mathison, a sometimes mentally troubled investigator.
In fact, Patinkin's feeling about his new role couldn't be more different than the "Criminal Minds" headaches he went through. He spoke especially highly of co-star Claire Danes during an interview with the Hollywood Reporter.
"I as a human being, as an artist, I am there for her. I would die for her," Patinkin told the Hollywood Reporter. "I tell you, she is one of our great gifts as an artist to be cherished and nurtured and cared for. She is a tremendous gift, and I am one of the privileged people to get to be with her and learn from her every day."
Mandy Patinkin's regret could be a reminder to fans that even their favorite show might just be another job for an actor.
The second season of "Homeland" will premiere on Showtime on Sept. 30 at 10 p.m. EDT while season eight of "Criminal Minds" debuts on Sept. 26 at 9 p.m. EDT on CBS.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Boards London Train in Casual Disguise, Royal Couple’s Incognito Plan A Huge Hit [PHOTOS]
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt’s Top Secret Wedding Tramps Jennifer Aniston’s ‘Friends’ Reunion & Pregnancy Talks [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Jennifer Lawrence’s Nude Photos and Videos Leaked by 4Chan Hacker; Ariana Grande, Lea Michele, Mary Elizabeth Winstead, Kate Upton’s Also Included
- Celebrities’ Leaked Nude Photos: Master-List Printed, Selena Gomez, Kim Kardashian, Kate Upton, Jennifer Lawrence, Kaley Cuoco, Rihanna, More Names On It
- Nick Cannon–Mariah Carey Divorce Reports: Nick Dating Younger Woman
- Nude Photos Leaked: Mary Elizabeth Winstead Says Nude Photos Hers, Faces Backlash, Takes Twitter Break
- ‘Bachelor In Paradise’ Spoilers: Find Out Whether AshLee Frazier And Graham Bunn Last Till The End; Meet The New Arrivals Of Episode 6
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- Nexus 6 Release Date Update: Moto X+1 Look Leaked, Nexus X or Shamu Moved to Demo Phase
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans
- iPhone 6 On Release Date To Feature Qualcomm MDM9625M LTE, 1GB RAM, Mobile Payment Deal With AMEX, 1334x750 Display
- HTC One M8 for Windows Vs. Nokia Lumia Icon, The Battle Of Windows Phones