Mandy Patinkin's Regret For 'Criminal Minds' Reminds Fans That, For Actors, A Show Is A Job
By Jeff Stone | September 16, 2012 1:38 AM EST
No one will accuse Mandy Patinkin of not telling fans what he really thinks. During a recent interview with New York magazine, the former "Criminal Minds" actor opened up about his disdain for that show, saying he considers it one of the low points of his whole career.
"The biggest public mistake I ever made was that I chose to do 'Criminal Minds' in the first place," Patinkin said. "I thought it was something very different. I never thought they were going to kill and rape all these women every night, every day, week after week, year after year. It was very destructive to my soul and my personality. After that, I didn't think I would get to work in television again."
"And 16 hours a day, nine-and-a-half months of the year, was destroying my heart and soul. It was very, very destructive to me and made me very sad," Patinkin continued in the interview. "And there were scripts that came to me that I voiced disapproval of, I spoke to the studio, the network, I couldn't believe that certain people would accept that this would go out there, and I began to feel ill about being a part of a world - now it is a world - bedtime story which - the last thing that people watch before they go to bed. And it's married to fear, in fairness to it, and part of the theory of the success of these shows, in my opinion, and in some great psychologists' opinions, is the fear factor."
During his time on the CBS drama, Patinkin played a senior supervisory special agent named Jason Gideon. He was on the show for three seasons, but Patinkin's regret soon fizzled when he picked up the script for the critically beloved "Homeland."
Starring in the series alongside Claire Daines and Damian Lewis, Patinkin plays a CIA agent responsible for investigating whether an American hero returning home from overseas is really a spy for the enemy. Patinkin's Saul Berenson acts as the mentor to Daines' Carrie Mathison, a sometimes mentally troubled investigator.
In fact, Patinkin's feeling about his new role couldn't be more different than the "Criminal Minds" headaches he went through. He spoke especially highly of co-star Claire Danes during an interview with the Hollywood Reporter.
"I as a human being, as an artist, I am there for her. I would die for her," Patinkin told the Hollywood Reporter. "I tell you, she is one of our great gifts as an artist to be cherished and nurtured and cared for. She is a tremendous gift, and I am one of the privileged people to get to be with her and learn from her every day."
Mandy Patinkin's regret could be a reminder to fans that even their favorite show might just be another job for an actor.
The second season of "Homeland" will premiere on Showtime on Sept. 30 at 10 p.m. EDT while season eight of "Criminal Minds" debuts on Sept. 26 at 9 p.m. EDT on CBS.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- ‘America's Got Talent’ (AGT) Season 9 (2014) Winner: Betting Odds And Judges Predict Who Could Win The Finals
- ‘Dancing With The Stars’ (DWTS) Season 19 (2014) Winner Predictions: Fellow Contestants And Betting Odds Predict Who Could Win Mirror Ball Trophy
- ‘The Big Bang Theory’ Season 8 Spoilers: Nine Moments From Episode 1, The Locomotion Interruption
- ‘The Bachelor Australia’ Season 2 Preview: Sam’s Fairy Tale Date, Belly Dancing Time, Who Exits
- ‘America’s Got Talent’ (AGT) Season 9 (2014) Finale Performance Episode Recap, Spoilers: 6 Finalists Perform Their Last Acts To Win Finals
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Pregnant Kate Middleton May Call Off Malta Trip Due To Sickness: Royal Couple Will Move To Anmer Hall Residence
- Apple iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 3 October Release Date Roundup: Freshly Leaked Protective Case Debuts Unique Vent Alongside Camera
- Why Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Not The Best Smartphone To Purchase Now? If You Still Want To, Wait For A Month To Get It Cheap
- Ukraine Crisis: Poland Denies Supplying Weapons To Kiev
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Countdown Begins Oct 8: 8 Killer Specs and Features to Expect
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MF 370: Indonesian Police Chief Claims He Knows What Happened To Missing Jet