Galaxy Tab 7.7 can be updated to Android
4.1.1 with Nexness PRO ROM.
A custom Android 4.1.1 ROM - Nexness Pro for the Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.7 (model number P6800) has been released by a member of the XDA Developers' forum. The Nexness Pro ROM is based on JRO03H firmware and is a Deodexed ROM; click here for the difference between an Odex and Deodex ROM.
The firmware reportedly offers features like Wi-Fi, enhanced battery life, optimised RAM performance and better 3G speeds. The developer adds that the ROM removes features like Google Plus, Maps, Books, Magazines, ROM manager, Google Earth, QuickSearch and a few more.
If you wish to install this update, please follow instructions below. IBTimes UK warns users the ROM works only with the 3G version of the Galaxy Tab 7.7 (model number P6800) and it will not be held responsible for damage to the device. Ensure all important data is backed up and the battery has at least a 70 percent charge.
Steps to Install Android 4.1.1 with Nexness PRO ROM
- Install ClockworkMod Recovery on Galaxy Tab 7.7.
- Download Nexness PRO ROM and Google Apps package.
- Copy downloaded files to SD card on tablet.
- Turn tablet off and place it in CWM Recovery Mode (to do so press and hold Volume Up and Power buttons when turning tablet on and press Power again to enter Recovery Mode).
- In Recovery menu select Wipe Data/Factory Reset to perform data wipe; confirm procedure.
- Select Advanced > Wipe Dalvik Cache.
- Select Install Zip From SD card and then Choose Zip From SD card and finally select downloaded ROM to begin installation.
- After installation of ROM, repeat procedure for Google Apps package.
- After installation, return to main Recovery menu and reboot device.
The Galaxy Tab 7.7 is now running Android 4.1.1 with Nexness Pro ROM. You can check the software version by navigating to Settings > About Phone.
[Source: Android Authority]
To contact the editor, e-mail: