Neil Armstrong, First Man To Walk On Moon, Laid To Rest In The Atlantic [PHOTOS]
By IB Times Staff Reporter | September 15, 2012 9:45 PM EST
Neil Armstrong, the first man to walk on the moon, was laid to rest in the Atlantic Ocean on Friday in a burial-at-sea ceremony aboard the USS Philippine Sea.
The Apollo 11 commander, Armstrong, served in the Navy from 1949 to 1952. During the burial ceremony he was honored with a bugler and a rifle salute after which his cremated remains were committed to the sea and an American flag was presented to his widow Carol Armstrong.
The burial came a day after former Apollo astronauts, NASA Administrator Charles Bolden and other dignitaries paid tribute to Armstrong at Washington's National Cathedral.
"Neil will always be remembered for taking humankind's first small step on another world," said Administrator Bolden. "But it was the courage, grace and humility he displayed throughout his life that lifted him above the stars."
"Neil Armstrong left more than footprints and a flag on the moon. He left a foundation for the future and paved the way for future American explorers to be the first to step foot on Mars or another planet," Bolden added.
Armstrong passed away on Aug. 25 at around 2.45 p.m. following complications from a recent cardiac surgery.
Apollo 11 command module pilot Michael Collins, fellow moonwalker Buzz Aldrin, Eugene A. Cernan, the Apollo 17 mission commander and last man to walk on the moon, and John Glenn, the former Senator and first American to orbit the Earth, also attended the memorial service, NASA said.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
- Dwyane Wade, Joe Johnson, Amare Stoudemire Among Worst Contracts In The NBA (Part 2 - Eastern Conference)
- Brawl-Marred Game in NFL Week 3: Philadelphia Eagles 37, Washington Redskins 34 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- UFO Sighting: Giant 5 Mile Wide UFO Spotted Over the Ocean in NASA Photograph [Watch Video]
- UFO Sighting In Portsmouth: Sign Of Alien Life Or Smudge On The Camera [Watch Video]
- Lifestyle Changes Reduces Risk of Dementia, According To World Alzheimer Report 2014
- Death By Ice Bucket Challenge Accident For Kentucky Firefighter
- Canada PM Stephen Harper to Skip UN Climate Summit
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Date is Halloween 2014 as Android L Intro Set for October 16
- New Samsung Galaxy Note 4 and Galaxy S5 Android 5.0 L Killer Features, Encryption and More
- Moto G 2014 v Asus Zenfone 5 – Specification Comparison Shows Zenfone 5 Is A Good Alternative for Moto G
- Android 5.0 L Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Nexus 7 Release in October, Google Employees Offer Hint
- Microsoft Doubles OneDrive Space To 30GB Due To iOS 8 Update Issues
- Nexus 8, Nexus 9 Release Date, Device Name And Price Conundrum: What To Expect?
- G20 Summit in Nov: No Consensus to Bar Russia, Putin Open to Attend in Australia