Neil Armstrong, First Man To Walk On Moon, Laid To Rest In The Atlantic [PHOTOS]
By IB Times Staff Reporter | September 15, 2012 9:45 PM EST
Neil Armstrong, the first man to walk on the moon, was laid to rest in the Atlantic Ocean on Friday in a burial-at-sea ceremony aboard the USS Philippine Sea.
The Apollo 11 commander, Armstrong, served in the Navy from 1949 to 1952. During the burial ceremony he was honored with a bugler and a rifle salute after which his cremated remains were committed to the sea and an American flag was presented to his widow Carol Armstrong.
The burial came a day after former Apollo astronauts, NASA Administrator Charles Bolden and other dignitaries paid tribute to Armstrong at Washington's National Cathedral.
"Neil will always be remembered for taking humankind's first small step on another world," said Administrator Bolden. "But it was the courage, grace and humility he displayed throughout his life that lifted him above the stars."
"Neil Armstrong left more than footprints and a flag on the moon. He left a foundation for the future and paved the way for future American explorers to be the first to step foot on Mars or another planet," Bolden added.
Armstrong passed away on Aug. 25 at around 2.45 p.m. following complications from a recent cardiac surgery.
Apollo 11 command module pilot Michael Collins, fellow moonwalker Buzz Aldrin, Eugene A. Cernan, the Apollo 17 mission commander and last man to walk on the moon, and John Glenn, the former Senator and first American to orbit the Earth, also attended the memorial service, NASA said.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- HTC Google Nexus 8 Release Date Imminent with New Nexus 7 Deals, Two New Tablets Soon
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales