Chelsea Face Competition from City and Spaniards in Striker Chase - Report
By Vishnuprasad S | September 15, 2012 7:46 PM EST
Premier League heavyweights Chelsea and Manchester City have reportedly joined the race to sign Benfica striker Nelson Oliveira. The 21 year old is now on loan with Spanish side Deportivo La Coruna and is understood to have a £24m release clause.
The Portuguese international won the Silver Ball at the 2011 FIFA U20 World Cup and made substitute appearances during the team's campaign in Poland and Ukraine. Spanish giants Barcelona and Real Madrid have long been linked with a move for Oliveira and reports now suggest the player is ready for a big move.
Di Matteo Dismisses Player Revolt Talks
Chelsea boss Roberto Di Matteo has played down rumours of a potential player revolt at Stamford Bridge, for dropping midfielder Florent Malouda from the first-team squad.
The France international revealed last week he was forced to train with the club's U21 team, after disputes over his future at Stamford Bridge. The same thing happened to French striker Nicolas Anelka and Brazilian defender Alex, when Andre Villas-Boas was in charge. Di Matteo has dismissed the need for concern and comparisons with AVB, saying the players backed the decision and the club had to look after its own interests.
"They have accepted the decision that has been made by us, and they're just going to focus on their targets for this season. Over the past, there's been some expression of the player to part company, but it hasn't happened. So we've moved forward, brought in other players and they're the ones we're going to work with this season," Sky Sports quoted the Italian as saying.
"It was a combined decision between me and the club. It's obviously not an extremely positive message or decision for him, but I guess, at the end, we have to look after our own interests and that's the decision we've taken," Di Matteo added.
Malouda joined Chelsea in 2007 from Lyon and has made 220 appearances for the Blues in all competitions, notching 45 goals and 44 assists.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Roger Federer Tops Forbes’ List of Most Financially Valuable Athlete; Maria Sharapova and Li Na Also Make the Cut
- Eugenie Bouchard Fires Warning To Serena Williams; She Wants No.1 Ranking
- Transfer News: Real Madrid Unveil Galactico James Rodriguez [PHOTOS]
- Roger Federer Regains Deadly Service Game - Andy Roddick
- Rafael Nadal Crowned as Most Popular Personality in Spain
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- HTC Google Nexus 8 Release Date Imminent with New Nexus 7 Deals, Two New Tablets Soon
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales