Wright Backs Wenger for Sensational Transfer Move
By Vishnuprasad S | September 15, 2012 6:16 PM EST
Arsenal legend Ian Wright has urged the Gunners to sign former Chelsea icon Didier Drogba.
The 34-year-old has been linked with a move away from present club Shanghai Shenhua following a power struggle at the Chinese outfit. Arsenal are reportedly a possible destination for the striker if he decides to return to England.
Arsene Wenger recently stated he was not considering a move for the striker, but Wright has now suggested that his former boss should snap up the Ivory Coast international, who netted 13 times in as many games against the Arsenal during his time in England.
"I'd love to see Didier Drogba at Arsenal, I'd like to see him come back to England. And not play against Arsenal because he's always demolishing them and the back four! Of course you've got to play that kind of thing down. I think if Drogba's coming back to the Premier League I'm sure there'll be a queue and I think if Arsenal are in and around it, I don't think that's a bad thing. That's not a bad signing," Goal.com quoted Wright as saying.
"Hopefully Arsene can make that happen, if it can happen, because I think he will be a definite positive move in respect of Arsenal and I think he's still got something to offer in the Premier League. So fingers crossed that something can come of that," the 48-year-old said.
Wenger: Mannone Contender for No 1 Role
Wenger has revealed third-choice goalkeeper Vito Mannone is now a genuine contender for a regular starting berth.
The Italian started the Gunners' last two league games at Stoke City and Liverpool, due to injuries to Wojciech Szczesny and Lukasz Fabianski and kept clean sheets on both occasions.
"He has done really well. Vito was allowed to move at the start of the season, to play somewhere. Now he has been No. 1 for two games and has at least moved into being a serious candidate to be fighting for the place. At the moment, Wojciech is but there is a fight there and it is interesting," Wenger told the club website.
"We have three goalkeepers who have the talent to play in the Premier League and to fight for the No. 1 place. Usually we keep two and let one go away to play, because they need to play. Now Vito has taken advantage of the fact that Fabianski and Wojciech were injured," the French tactician added.
Mannone moved to Arsenal from Serie A side Atalanta in 2005.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- 2014 Davis Cup Final: Switzerland Vs. France - Roger Federer Vs. Gael Monfils Live Streaming Info and Preview
- Michael Schumacher Update: Rep Responds To Streiff’s Comments—‘He’s Neither A Friend Nor Has He Ever Visited Him’
- LA Lakers: Kobe Bryant Attributes Past Outburst Against Dwight Howard To 'Heat Of The Moment,' Doesn't Feel The Same Way As Durant Does
- Boxing News: Freddie Roach Not Buying Into Arum's Claim Of Pacquiao v Mayweather In 2015, Claims 'Money' Will Say 'No' After Algieri Fight
- Door Is Open For Brock Lesnar To Make UFC Return -- Dana White
- Walmart Early Price Matching Special Event On Nov. 21, 2014 Matches Its Competitors' Black Friday 2014 Prices And Includes Exclusive Deals For Samsung LED HDTVs And iPad Air 2 [WATCH VIDEO]
- US Plane Flying Over Russian Skies Spotted; Vladimir Putin Ready For 'Practical Cooperation' With US
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Top Deals On Game Consoles Xbox One, PS4, Nintendo Wii U And More
- Walmart Pre-Black Friday 2014 Sale On Nov. 21, 2014 Includes Discounts On The 'NBA 2K15' For PS4 And The 'Skylanders Trap Team’ Starter Kit [WATCH VIDEO]
- Alleged 'Microsoft Lumia 1030' Front Panel Leaked With Capacitive Buttons; 'Xbox One' Owners To Get Free Goodies On Anniversary
- More Bad News for Android 5.0 Lollipop As Problems Come In for Nexus and Other Devices
- Cold War 2: Russia, China And North Korea’s Blacklisted Company Fortify Alliance -- Reports