Wright Backs Wenger for Sensational Transfer Move
By Vishnuprasad S | September 15, 2012 6:16 PM EST
Arsenal legend Ian Wright has urged the Gunners to sign former Chelsea icon Didier Drogba.
The 34-year-old has been linked with a move away from present club Shanghai Shenhua following a power struggle at the Chinese outfit. Arsenal are reportedly a possible destination for the striker if he decides to return to England.
Arsene Wenger recently stated he was not considering a move for the striker, but Wright has now suggested that his former boss should snap up the Ivory Coast international, who netted 13 times in as many games against the Arsenal during his time in England.
"I'd love to see Didier Drogba at Arsenal, I'd like to see him come back to England. And not play against Arsenal because he's always demolishing them and the back four! Of course you've got to play that kind of thing down. I think if Drogba's coming back to the Premier League I'm sure there'll be a queue and I think if Arsenal are in and around it, I don't think that's a bad thing. That's not a bad signing," Goal.com quoted Wright as saying.
"Hopefully Arsene can make that happen, if it can happen, because I think he will be a definite positive move in respect of Arsenal and I think he's still got something to offer in the Premier League. So fingers crossed that something can come of that," the 48-year-old said.
Wenger: Mannone Contender for No 1 Role
Wenger has revealed third-choice goalkeeper Vito Mannone is now a genuine contender for a regular starting berth.
The Italian started the Gunners' last two league games at Stoke City and Liverpool, due to injuries to Wojciech Szczesny and Lukasz Fabianski and kept clean sheets on both occasions.
"He has done really well. Vito was allowed to move at the start of the season, to play somewhere. Now he has been No. 1 for two games and has at least moved into being a serious candidate to be fighting for the place. At the moment, Wojciech is but there is a fight there and it is interesting," Wenger told the club website.
"We have three goalkeepers who have the talent to play in the Premier League and to fight for the No. 1 place. Usually we keep two and let one go away to play, because they need to play. Now Vito has taken advantage of the fact that Fabianski and Wojciech were injured," the French tactician added.
Mannone moved to Arsenal from Serie A side Atalanta in 2005.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- UEFA Champions League Draw Result and Replay: Arsenal Joins Toughest Group, Cristiano Ronaldo Named Best Player In Europe [PHOTOS and VIDEO]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Boards London Train in Casual Disguise, Royal Couple’s Incognito Plan A Huge Hit [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- UFC News: Ronda Rousey To Avenge Teammates, Demands Bethe Correia
- FIBA Basketball World Cup Live Streaming Info: Argentina vs. Philippines Preview, Starting Lineups
- Grigor Dimitrov Shares Fashion Tips With Maria Sharapova
- 2014 FIBA World Cup Group B: Greece vs. Philippines Live Streaming Info, Betting Odds and Preview
- 2014 FIBA Basketball World Cup Live Streaming Info: USA vs. Turkey Preview, Starting Lineups [VIDEO]
- Apple iPhone 6 Actual Release Date after September 9 Confirmed 128GB Variant with New Resolution
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- Moto G2 Release Roundup: Specs, Pricing, and Release Date Details
- PlayStation 4 Killing Xbox One Costing Microsoft Millions But It's Fine
- Nexus 6 on Release Date Confirmed with Phablet-Size Display as FCC Filing Hints of 5.9-Inch Screen
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans