Derrick Rose Cries During D Rose 3 Sneaker Launch [VIDEO]
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | September 15, 2012 6:21 AM EST
Chicago Bulls point guard Derrick Rose was overcome with emotion during the unveiling of his new Adidas shoe, the D Rose 3, with the NBA superstar on the verge of tears multiple times at the Chicago event.
Rose, who missed the latter part of the 2011-2012 season and the playoffs after tearing the anterior cruciate ligament in his left knee, held back tears during the shoe launch.
A video, which can be viewed below, played during the presentation and showed Rose being helped off the court after the injury before the phrase, "what's inside d rose can't be stopped," showed on the screen.
Shots of Rose undergoing rehab on the torn ACL follows as the Bulls point guard is seen with his head down, fighting off tears.
"I know it's emotional, but you just have to understand that you're inspiring millions of fans with your comeback, but the purpose of the return goes both ways because they're inspiring you," said Lawrence Norman, vice president of global basketball for Adidas. "Whether it's Facebook or Twitter or millions and millions of hits on your videos, inspiration goes both ways."
Norman then asked Rose to speak about the inspiration he gets from his fans, but D-Rose was too overcome with emotion to speak.
After regaining his composure, the Bulls point guard spoke about his rise from his humble beginnings growing up in Chicago to NBA superstardom.
"It's truly a blessing, man," Rose said as he fought off the sniffles, clutching the D Rose 3 in his hands. "With all this stuff that's going on in this city, a kid from Englewood has something positive going on. That makes me feel so good, man.
"This shoe is great, this is great, but I can't explain this. I can't, I went through so much and to have, like, true fans, that means a lot to me, and I know it means a lot to my family because we're not supposed to be here at all. But God made the way, and this is just truly unreal. I'm just happy that I have true fans out there."
Norman said Rose's show of emotion and his handling of the shoe launch was an expression of the NBA superstar's humble nature.
"Well you do, first of all, [have true fans,] and this is one of the reasons why you do," Norman said.
The display of emotion spurred "Derrick Rose" to trend on Twitter, where users saluted the NBA superstar for his down-to-earth demeanor. Rose also used his Twitter account to post a picture of himself wearing the D Rose 3.
"[W]atched @drose sneaker launch clip. his humility and gratefulness is touching. role model material," tweeted Sunny Brooks.
"I absolutely love @drose cannot wait for him to return to the NBA. He is so inspiring!" exclaimed Michelle Mazzarella.
"I have a lot more respect for #DerrickRose after watching this and seeing him cry at his shoe/apparel launch," wrote @iLoveMelo, who tweeted a link to the D Rose 3 launch clip.
"@drose you a true inspiration bro !! You are a great basketball player and you inspire me to be the best I can possibly be bro!!" said @TheReal_Dre1.
"Derrick Rose's humility is so rare," said @King_K_Capo. " I'm humbled."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
Join the Conversation
- The Rock Reveals He And John Cena Nearly Fought Backstage [VIDEO]
- Manny Pacquiao Begins Training Sans Freddie Roach
- Maria Sharapova And Grigor Dimitrov Break Up News
- Boxing News 2014: Showtime VP Favours Pacquiao As Mayweather’s Next Ring Opponent; Money May Insists Fight Should Be Over Showtime PPV Only
- Three Reasons Why Brock Lesnar Must Fight The Undertaker At Night Of Champions And Not John Cena [VIDEO]
- Google Release Roundup: Nexus 5 2014, Nexus 6, Nexus 8 and Android L Killer Features
- Samsung Attacks iPhone 6 Plus Through New Galaxy Note 4 Commercial: Apple Claims Imitating Galaxy Note Phablets
- Pregnant Kate Middleton May Call Off Malta Trip Due To Sickness: Royal Couple Will Move To Anmer Hall Residence
- iPhone 6 And IPhone 6 Plus Sold Out, New Stocks To Arrive In October
- Moto G (Gen 2) vs. Xiaomi Redmi 1S—Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Dates Imminent as Moto X Pre-Order Begins & Nexus 7 Deals Ramp Up
- iPhone 6 And iPhone 6 Plus Shipping Has Begun, Expected To Reach Customers’ Doorstep On Sept 19 Launch Date