‘Beetlejuice 2’ Rumors Continue After Winona Ryder Reveals The Script Is Being Written
By Amanda Remling | September 15, 2012 12:24 AM EST
Beetlejuice ... Beetlejuice ... Beetlejuice! Could the famous decomposing bio-exorcist be returning to the big screen? Original star Winona Ryder is on the case!
Rumors of a second round of "Beetlejuice," the 1988 film about a recently deceased couple trying to get their home back from the living, rose from the dead in January. Director Tim Burton had fans excited when he revealed that he would have no problems directing a sequel, but fans have been kept in the dark since making that announcement. Winona Ryder, who played goth teen Lydia in the film, is taking one for the team though, and going to bother Burton for an update.
"I heard [about the sequel] from journalists," Ryder revealed to MTV News at the Toronto International Film Festival. "That's how I found out, but I'm seeing Tim next week, and I will let you know."
Ryder sounds like she is playing the innocent, uninformed card, but she did reveal a little more information at TIFF.
"I'm trying to think about how that would work. Obviously I'm not the [the focal point]; it's got to be Michael [Keaton]," she explained to reporters. "So is it happening? It's being written, but is it happening? Tim hasn't confirmed it yet [officially]."
In January, Burton told reporters that he would love to revive the character and bring back Keaton.
"I always think about how great and fun that character was," he revealed. "So I just said to ['Dark Shadows' writer] Seth Grahame-Smith, 'If you have some idea about it, go for it, and then I'll look at it freshly.'"
Grahame-Smith, who also worked with Burton on the summer 2012 film "Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter," took some time at this years Comic-Con to give a bit of an update on the film. The writer revealed that he's working on it when he can, but "just because we can make a 'Beetlejuice' doesn't mean we should."
For Grahame-Smith, the story needs to "feel right."
"I would rather not make this movie then have to look fellow fans in the face and go, 'I f---ed up. Sorry," he told Collider. "It's just, 'Can I crack the story?'"
With fans hungrily waiting to hear some news on the script, Ryder better report back soon.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Avengers 2: Capt.America Dances With Peggy Carter, First Love Returns
- Kim Kardashian and Kanye West Break-Up Furor Ceased: West Gets Turned on by Kim, Puts Rest to Marriage Trouble Reports
- Selena Gomez's Mystery Man Identified as Businessman Tommy Chiabra, Singer Flirts and Shares Same Towel with Him -- Reports
- NCIS Season 12 Spoilers: Fans Fear Cote de Pablo Not Coming Back, Tony DiNozzo Moving On from Ziva David
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy Report: Duchess Expecting a Baby Girl, Prince William Wants 3 Kids [PHOTOS]
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales
- Sony Xperia M2 vs. Moto G – Specifications, Features and Price Showdown