‘Beetlejuice 2’ Rumors Continue After Winona Ryder Reveals The Script Is Being Written
By Amanda Remling | September 15, 2012 12:24 AM EST
Beetlejuice ... Beetlejuice ... Beetlejuice! Could the famous decomposing bio-exorcist be returning to the big screen? Original star Winona Ryder is on the case!
Rumors of a second round of "Beetlejuice," the 1988 film about a recently deceased couple trying to get their home back from the living, rose from the dead in January. Director Tim Burton had fans excited when he revealed that he would have no problems directing a sequel, but fans have been kept in the dark since making that announcement. Winona Ryder, who played goth teen Lydia in the film, is taking one for the team though, and going to bother Burton for an update.
"I heard [about the sequel] from journalists," Ryder revealed to MTV News at the Toronto International Film Festival. "That's how I found out, but I'm seeing Tim next week, and I will let you know."
Ryder sounds like she is playing the innocent, uninformed card, but she did reveal a little more information at TIFF.
"I'm trying to think about how that would work. Obviously I'm not the [the focal point]; it's got to be Michael [Keaton]," she explained to reporters. "So is it happening? It's being written, but is it happening? Tim hasn't confirmed it yet [officially]."
In January, Burton told reporters that he would love to revive the character and bring back Keaton.
"I always think about how great and fun that character was," he revealed. "So I just said to ['Dark Shadows' writer] Seth Grahame-Smith, 'If you have some idea about it, go for it, and then I'll look at it freshly.'"
Grahame-Smith, who also worked with Burton on the summer 2012 film "Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter," took some time at this years Comic-Con to give a bit of an update on the film. The writer revealed that he's working on it when he can, but "just because we can make a 'Beetlejuice' doesn't mean we should."
For Grahame-Smith, the story needs to "feel right."
"I would rather not make this movie then have to look fellow fans in the face and go, 'I f---ed up. Sorry," he told Collider. "It's just, 'Can I crack the story?'"
With fans hungrily waiting to hear some news on the script, Ryder better report back soon.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Ian Somerhalder Girlfriend: 'Twilight' Actress Nikki Reed Heads Back To Los Angeles Solo, Spotted Partying With Michelle Rodriguez At A Fashion Event
- Brad Pitt Forced To Talk About Ex-Wife Jennifer Aniston: Asked to Compare Wife Angelina Jolie With Rachel From 'Friends'
- ‘Big Brother Australia’ Evictee Jason Rose Opens Up About His Family’s Acceptance of His Sexuality, Cat and Lawson’s Illicit Love Affair [VIDEO]
- ‘The Young And The Restless’ Spoilers For Oct. 23: Find Out What Happens When Phyllis Meets Kelly
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Oct. 24, 2014: Katie Spills Ridge's Secret Plan While Eric's Announcement Causes A Huge Furor [WATCH VIDEO]
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- Android Lollipop 5.0 Confirmed for Nov 3 Rollout as Nexus 6 Global Release Date is Delayed – Reports