LOS ANGELES LAKERS NEWS: Dwight Howard to Miss Training Camp, First Preseason Game
By Greg Price | September 14, 2012 11:33 PM EST
Superstar center Dwight Howard will not be ready for the Los Angeles Lakers' training camp or the team's preseason opener, as he is still recovering from offseason back surgery.
Howard is still rehabbing after the surgery, and he has spent much of the offseason working with his personal trainer and the Lakers' training staff.
Los Angeles made the announcement Thursday night that Howard will not be ready when camp begins on Oct. 2, and will probably miss the preseason opener on Oct. 7.
There is no word on when the six-time All-Star center will suit-up, or if he will make the Lakers' season opener against the rival Dallas Mavericks on Oct. 30 at Staples Center.
During the offseason, Los Angeles acquired the three-time Defensive Player of the Year from the Orlando Magic in a four-team trade that sent center Andrew Bynum to the Philadelphia 76ers.
Howard announced on April 19 that his back would require surgery and he would miss the rest of the NBA season and the London Summer Olympics.
With Howard's presence in the middle, Los Angeles sports a formidable starting line-up of power forward Paul Gasol, small forward Ron Artest, and future Hall Of Fame guards Kobe Bryant and Steve Nash, who the Lakers also traded for during the summer.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Floyd Mayweather Jr On Manny Pacquiao: 'He Must Know He's Not Going To Win
- For Mayweather, The Prize Comes First, Not The Fans
- Roger Federer Hailed Swiss Sportsman Of The Year, Beating Stan Wawrinka
- Serena Williams On Caroline Wozniacki’s Friendship:’I Have Had A Love For Caroline From The Day I Met Her’
- NFL News: Chicago Bears Likely To Fire Head Coach Marc Trestman At End Of NFL Season