Microsoft Santa Comes Calling; Free Surface Tablets, Work PCs, Windows Phone 8 Devices For Employees
By Valli Meenakshi Ramanathan | September 14, 2012 9:06 PM EST
After the Apple iPhone 5 euphoria, it's back to Goliath Microsoft. The Redmond-software giant seems to have ushered in Christmas in Fall by deciding to distribute free surface RT tablet, Windows Phone 8 device and a refreshed Windows 8 work machine, GeekWire has reported.
In a recent company meeting held at KeyArena in Seattle, Steve Ballmer announced that Microsoft was accelerating the refresh cycle for employees' work computers in a move to migrate staff to Windows 8 machines made by hardware partners.
The Microsoft refresh cycle usually takes three years, but at present the company is planning to move employees to a new operating system en masse.
Apparently, all employees get new Windows Phone 8 devices for use at work and home. The practice is not something new though as it was employed during Windows Phone 7 release as well, GeekWire has stated.
All Full-Time Employees (FTE) are likely to receive free Surface RT machine for use at work and home.
At present, reports state that there are over 94,000 people working worldwide for the software giant. The Microsoft scrip (MSFT) closed flat at $30.93 Sept. 13.
In the after-trading hours, the scrip remained unchanged and in the pre-market trading it rose to $31.12 gaining 0.6 percent or 180 cents.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Derek Jeter With The New York Yankees Through The Years [IN PICTURES]
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- NFL Recap - Week 4: Green Bay Packers 38, Chicago Bears 17 [PHOTOS]
- Kendall Jenner Rocks Semi-Nude Balmain Lattice Dress At Paris Fashion Week [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Apple Inc (AAPL) Stock Rises Again Despite Bendgate, iOS 8 Bugs; Samsung Stock At Two-Year Low
- Hong Kong Protests Cause Closure Of Banks & Instagram Outages In China
- Federal Court Orders Coles To Hang Signs For 3 Months That It Passed Off Par-Baked Bread As Fresh From The Oven
- Ello Pegged As The Anti-Facebook Social Network
- Forget Nexus 6 Release Date, Android Phones Will Soon Showcase Pure Google Apps & Features
- Galaxy Note 4 Pre Order Starts in the US, Get Samsung Note Ahead of October 14 Release
- $249.99 Motorola Moto 360 Smartwatch's First Promo Out; 'Stone Leather' Replaces 'Gray Leather' - Available In BestBuy [Watch Video]
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- BlackBerry Passport Sold Out As Preorders Reached 200,000
- iOS 8 And iOS 8.0.2 Security Flaw Revealed, Anyone Can Easily Bypass Touch ID And Passcode Security Features
- Australia Cracks Down On International Money Laundering Syndicate