Youngster Could Be Successor To Ashley Cole
By Vanessa Keller | September 14, 2012 8:41 PM EST
Gary Cahill believes that Ryan Bertrand could be a successor for Ashley Cole in the future, with the left-back impressing for both Chelsea and England as he makes his mark for a regular starting spot.
Bertrand got his debut for the England squad in a friendly against Italy in August, and made an impact almost immediately after coming onto the pitch in the 78th minute, clearing a shot of the line which then led to the Three Lions' winning goal.
And the 23 year old has also impressed for Chelsea, particularly in the Champions League final, as the side fought against the odds to beat Bayern Munich on penalties.
Cahill, who has now had some experience playing alongside Bertram, believes that he could be the one to replace Ashley Cole when the 31 year old comes to the end of his career.
"I think he's got a massive future. I think he could be the natural successor to Ashley when he moves on," he told the Daily Mail. "He's got everything. He's really come to people's attention after being chucked in at the deep end in the Champions League final and coped really well in it."
Cahill was also full of praise for Daniel Sturridge, who is trying to make his mark on the first team for both Chelsea and England after mixed success last season.
"He came on and had a great impact," Cahill said of Sturridge in England's match with the Ukraine. "He created a couple of chances. He had an impact on the game. If you asked him he'd probably hope that he could play a few more games at the minute but I've no doubt that will come.
"If you saw him last season, especially at the start, the goals he scored for Chelsea. In the Olympics he scored some great goals. He's an exciting player and one that with more football will probably flourish. With the quality that he possesses he will get that football."
Cahill himself has had to deal with some big hurdles in his time at Chelsea due to injury, and though he was able to finally break into the England side again after getting regular game time in the Premier League, the 26 year old says he didn't realise quite how difficult it would be to show his capabilities once more.
"I didn't realise how much of a massive blow it was until these last two games because before then I was really in the frame," he explained.
"These last two games have shown me just how bad the injury was. I'm back to the bottom and I have to work my way back up yet again. But that's football."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Manny Pacquiao Vs. Chris Algieri World Tour Kick Off Press Conference In Macau [PHOTOS]
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- 2014 US Open Update (Day 4 - Men's Singles): Murray, Djokovic, Raonic and Isner Advance to 3rd Round [PHOTOS]
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Floyd Mayweather Proves He Can Read, Releases An Audio Of Him Reading
- 2014 FIBA Basketball World Cup Group A Preview, Prediction, Roster, Schedule: Spain and Brazil To Clinch Top 2 Spots, France, Serbia, And Iran To Battle For Remaining Slots
- 2014 FIBA Basketball World Cup Team Preview: Puerto Rico Roster, Key Players And Schedule
- Kevin Love Tells Minnesota Timberwolves Owner Glen Taylor To Mind His Own Team
- Top 5 Richest Tennis Athletes
- Sept 19 iPhone 6 Release Date Confirmed as Apple Sets Sept 9 iWatch, 2 iPhones Intro - Report
- iPhone 6 Release Date Update: 4.7-Inch Model Scores 65.8% In Screen-To-Size Ratio; A Surprise Entry Scales Top Spot [List Attached]
- Product Recall Alert: Hewlett-Packard Pulls Out 6M Power Cords from US, Canada Over Fire Hazard Concerns, Australia Also Affected
- ISIS Wants $6.6M and Release of Aafia Siddiqui in Exchange of Head of Female US Humanitarian Aid Worker, 1st American Fighting for Jihadis Dead
- Canada Vs Russia War Erupts Via Twitter on Russia-Not Russia Maps
- Ukraine Ceasefire Looks Remote As Putin Talks Tough At Meeting With Poroshenko
- Google Nexus 6 Release May Be the New Google Nexus X Smartphone as New Details Emerge