International Positive Thinking Day: Origins And Motivational Speakers From Stuart Smalley To Kris Jenner
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | September 14, 2012 8:25 AM EST
Today, Sept. 13, is International Positive Thinking Day. International Positive Thinking Day is the brainchild of Dr. Kirsten Harrell, a psychologist and life coach who says she discovered the effectiveness of positive thinking while dealing with chronic pain.
"After being told that the medical profession had little to offer (except more surgery to remove my kneecaps), I began to explore alternative healing systems. I discovered the power of the mind-body connection and the effect that attitude can have on our health," she wrote. "These discoveries awakened a passion and a calling to help others live more positively and tap into their fullest potential for health, happiness and success."
Harrell uses her website to promote Positive Thinking Day and her foundation, which is geared to curing spinal cord injuries.
Social media has helped International Positive Thinking Day gain steam, as the occasion trended worldwide Thursday on Twitter.
In honor of International Positive Thinking Day, here are five motivational speakers who tout the benefits of positive thinking:
The 23-year-old who was once called "The World's Ugliest Woman" in high school didn't let bullies and harsh commenters on YouTube urging her to kill herself to get the best of her. Instead, Velazquez used her experience to become a motivational speaker and help others deal with bullies and overcoming adversity.
The matriarch of the Kardashian clan is not just a reality star and renowned businesswoman, she's also a motivational speaker.
"Kris connects with her audience in a manner that no other iconic figure in pop culture today does," says her bio on the Premiere Speakers Bureau, her booking agent for motivational speeches. "She shares her struggles and successes that every family and business owners are faced with every day."
The fictional "Saturday Night Live" character, played by Al Franken before he represented Minnesota in the U.S. Senate, hosted "Daily Affirmation With Stuart Smalley." On the show, Smalley encouraged his viewers to adopt positive thinking. He used himself as an example, saying into a mirror, "I'm good enough, I'm smart enough and, doggone it, people like me!"
The former University of Notre Dame football coach is known for more than just motivating his players on the field. Holtz is a highly sought after motivational speaker.
"He speaks on overcoming seemingly impossible challenges by setting your own goals and working to achieve them," according to real-life-training-films.com. "He has built a reputation as a motivator, a demanding disciplinarian and someone who relishes challenges and hard work."
Perhaps the most well-known professional motivational speaker, Robbins uses what he calls "immersion coaching" to get clients to harness their potential.
"Nothing is more powerful than the force of personal identity-when a person's soul transcends the limits of the moment to embrace all that they are capable of becoming," he says on his website.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- MH370 Search Efforts Not Affected by MH17 Recovery; Australia Still Committed to Solving Mystery
- Another Aviation Disaster: Taiwan Plane Crashes, Passengers Aboard Feared Dead [PHOTO]
- 'Dronies' to Become Latest Trend as Tourism New Zealand Buys Drone to Record Tourists' Videos
- Former Destiny’s Child Star Farrah Franklin Arrested
- Asylum Seeker Women in Australia-Run Christmas Island Attempt Suicide in Desperation
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- HTC Google Nexus 8 Release Date Imminent with New Nexus 7 Deals, Two New Tablets Soon
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales