Manhattan Rental Vacancy Hits 3-Yr High As Rentals Climb To Record
By Roland Li | September 14, 2012 3:04 AM EST
The residential vacancy rate in Manhattan rose to a three-year high in August as rents continued to escalate, according to Citi Habitats, the city's largest rental brokerage.
The vacancy rate rose to 1.19 percent in August from 1 percent in the previous year in buildings tracked by Citi Habitats. Meanwhile, the average apartment rent rose to $3,461 in August, higher than the 2007 peak of $3,394.
Gary Malin, president of Citi Habitats, told Bloomberg that high rents were causing more renters to avoid the Manhattan market. New Yorkers can find lower rents in outer boroughs like Queens and Brooklyn. Fewer tenants could lead to some landlord concessions like lower rents or payment of a broker's fee, said Malin. August is seasonally the most active month for rentals as returning students sign leases, while the winter months are slower, which could motivate more landlords to act.
Rents for studios gained 1 percent from the prior month to an average of $2,092. One-bedroom rents fell 1 percent to $2,785, while two-bedrooms increased 1 percent to $4,032, and three-bedrooms were flat at $5,320, according to Citi Habitats. The Upper East Side had the highest vacancy rate of 1.38 percent, while the Gramercy neighborhood had the lowest rate at 0.76 percent.
Slightly lower demand in the rental market has not had a significant impact on the sales market, according to data from appraisal firm Miller Samuel Inc. and brokerage Prudential Douglas Elliman Real Estate. There were 2,647 Manhattan co-ops and condos sold in the second quarter, a figure that was flat compared to the same in the prior year. The median sales price was down 2.5 percent to $829,000 as more entry-level, lower-priced units were sold.
Strict mortgage lending standards and unease about the economy has dampened the for-sale market, as buyers remain wary of long-term commitments. But low interest rates and continued high rents could motivate more people to buy.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Full List Of Winners, Miley Cyrus ‘Wrecking Ball’ Bags Video Of The Year [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton First Official Solo Trip: Details For Malta Tour Revealed [PHOTOS]
- Manny Pacquiao Vs. Chris Algieri World Tour Kick Off Press Conference In Macau [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
Join the Conversation
- United Airlines Flight Diverted as Passengers Fought Over Anti-Seat Reclining Device
- ISIS Posts Threats On Twitter, Works Around California Earthquake Hashtags, Pressures US To Respond To #StevensHeadinObamasHands
- Iceland Volcano: Bardarbunga Stricken by 5.7 Magnitude Earthquake But Still No Eruption, Magma Could be Going Elsewhere
- Chicago Marathon Brings Over $253 Million in Business
- New Zealand's High Growth Rate Predicted To Fall When Christchurch Rebuild Halts
- Apple on iPhone 6 Release Date One Week After September 9 Despite Display Shortage Starting $800
- James Foley Video Had A Change Of Actor – Expert Points Out
- Canada Concerned About Russia’s Military Expansion in Arctic
- Nokia X2 vs. Nokia Lumia 530 - Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Hundreds of Men Rape Teen for Three Years
- Nexus 6 Release Date Will Intro Android 5.0 aka Lemon Meringue Pie with Killer Specs & Features
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Mini vs. LG G3 S (aka LG G3 Beat, LG G3 Mini) – Specs, Features And Price Showdown