iOS 6 GM Tethered Jailbreak On iPhone 4 And Other A4-Based Devices Using Updated Redsn0w 0.9.13dev4
By Kukil Bora | September 13, 2012 8:12 PM EST
During Wednesday's special media event in San Francisco for the unveiling of iPhone 5, the sixth generation edition of the flagship smartphone, Apple announced that the latest version of its mobile operating system, "iOS 6," would be available for all the supported devices - iPhone 5, iPhone 4S, iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS, iPod touch 5/4, iPad 3, iPad 2, and Apple TV - next Wednesday, Sept. 19.
However, the Cupertino tech giant has also released a GM (Golden Master) seed of the OS on its developer portal. Hence, if you have a registered developer account for the official iOS developer program, you can visit the developer center and discover the latest changes the iOS 6 will bring about.
iOS 6 is considered as a major update from Apple with more than 200 new features including the new Maps app, Facebook integration, Passbook organization, Safari iCloud Tabs, more Siri features and languages, revamped calling system, support for Baidu search and many more.
While millions of Apple fans are looking forward to try their hands on the iPhone 5, running on iOS 6, users of jailbroken iOS devices are also waiting to see what jailbreakers do in terms of producing new jailbreak tools.
With that in mind, here's some good news. Renowned iOS jailbreaker MuscleNerd of the iPhone Dev Team confirmed via his Twitter account Thursday that the newly seeded iOS 6 GM can be jailbroken tethered on A4-based devices (iPhone 4, iPod touch 4th gen, iPhone 3GS) using the latest version of the popular jailbreak tool Redsn0w (0.9.13 dev 4).
"redsn0w dev4 tethered JB updated for yesterday's 6.0 GM (developer openssh style). See update #3 at http://is.gd/MCbq7A," MuscleNerd tweeted.
"The 'dev4' version covers all the betas and yesterday's 6.0 GM seed. There are some remaining issues with Cydia and fundamental modules like PreferenceLoader, so it remains an open ssh-style developer-only release only for now," read the official blog post of the iPhone Dev Team.
Below are the steps to jailbreak iOS 6 GM on A4 devices. Those who are not advanced users or developers are recommended not to try this jailbreak.
Step 2: Place your device into DFU mode.
Step 3: Download Redsn0w 0.9.13dev4.
Step 4: Start Redsn0w. Click Extras > Select IPSW > and point it to iOS 6 GM firmware.
Step 5: Select "Jailbreak" from the main screen to start the process.
Step 6: Once the jailbreak process is complete, place your device back into the DFU mode and go back to Extras > Select IPSW, and again point to your iOS 6 GM firmware.
Step 7: Once identified, select "Just boot" from the "Extras" menu to perform a tethered boot.
[Source: Redmond Pie]
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- 5 Proofs Russia is Geared-Up for Shooting War with U.S. and Can Win Future Nuclear Showdown
- Target’s ‘Surprise Doorbusters’ Black Friday 2014 Deals On TV Sets, Entertainment Centres, DVD Players And More
- IKEA Black Friday 2014 Ad Includes Discounts On Home Furnishings, Appliances, Kitchen Designs, Beds, Sofas, Mattresses And Toys
- T-Mobile’s Black Friday 2014 Deals On Apple iPhone 6, Samsung Galaxy Note 4/Edge, Nexus 6, HTC One M8, LG G3, iPad Air 2 And Mini 3
- ISIS Drug Transit From Afghanistan To Europe Confirmed By Russia: Money Goes Into Terror Funding And In New Recruitments
- Bill Clinton At It Again, Caught By Camera In Jerusalem Peeking At Woman’s Breast
- Walmart Canada Black Friday 2014 Ad For Nov. 28, 2014 Up To Dec. 1, 2014 Includes Savings On The iPad Mini 16GB And The Beats Solo HD Drenched Headphones