Clara Schumann's 193rd Birth Anniversary Celebrated in Google Doodle
By Geetha Pillai | September 13, 2012 3:42 PM EST
Google has come up with a new doodle to commemorate the 193rd birthday of German musician and composer Clara Schumann.
Google's home page depicts Schumann, one of the eminent pianists of the Romantic era, with her eight children. The image shows three of them clinging to her while others are playing the instrument along with their mother.
The image, in blue, yellow, green, and red replaces the two Os and the G of the Google logo.
Born as Clara Josephine Wieck in Leipzig on 13 September, 1819, she gave her first performance at the age of eight at the Leipzig home of Dr Ernst Carus, director of a mental hospital at Colditz Castle.
She was raised by her father Friedrich Wieck following a divorce by her parents. She was considered as a child prodigy and became famous all over Europe at a very young age.
She conducted a number of recitals in Vienna between December 1837 and April 1838 and went on to become a great composer.
"Composing gives me great pleasure...there is nothing that surpasses the joy of creation, if only because through it one wins hours of self-forgetfulness, when one lives in a world of sound," she said.
She married Robert Schumann, a gifted pianist whom she met at an early age in 1839 against the wishes of her father.
In her personal life, Schumann had to go through number of agonies including the death of her four children. She also had to witness her husband and one son spending their last years in a mental asylum.
Schumann herself became hearing impaired at the age of 76 and died following a stroke in 20 May, 1896.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Another Aviation Disaster: Taiwan Plane Crashes, Passengers Aboard Feared Dead [PHOTO]
- 'Dronies' to Become Latest Trend as Tourism New Zealand Buys Drone to Record Tourists' Videos
- MH370 Search Efforts Not Affected by MH17 Recovery; Australia Still Committed to Solving Mystery
- Former Destiny’s Child Star Farrah Franklin Arrested
- Asylum Seeker Women in Australia-Run Christmas Island Attempt Suicide in Desperation
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales
- Sony Xperia M2 vs. Moto G – Specifications, Features and Price Showdown