Australia's Myer Full Year Net Profit Down 13%
By Esther Tanquintic-Misa | September 13, 2012 2:20 PM EST
Australia's largest department store chain, Myer Holdings Ltd, reported that its full year net profit sank 12.7 per cent to $139.365 million compared from a year ago as it continues to sail through tough conditions in the retailing environment.
With the weakened volume in sales, Myer declined to offer any full-year guidance throughout fiscal 2013, saying it expects the current scenario to continue.
Total sales in the 12 months to June 30 reached $3.119 billion, a1.3 per cent fall from a year ago.
Faced with concerns about Australia's as well as the global economy, coupled with the rising cost of living expenses, Australians have become more prudent in their spending habits. The continued rise of the Australian high dollar also became a factor for the consumers to spend more time doing in online shopping than in actual physical stores, not to mention its convenience.
Myer said it would pay a final dividend of 9 Australian cents per share, down on last year's 11.5 cents.
"A significant reduction in our overall markdowns was achieved in fiscal year 2012, benefiting the gross profit result," Myer said. "While there was price deflation during the year associated with being more globally competitive, this was offset by the success of our markdown reduction program."
Its second-half net profit for the year fell 3.3 per cent, which was actually smaller compared to the 5.6 per cent fall forecast of five analysts surveyed by Reuters News.
In June, Myer shares plummeted to $1.69, its lowest level since getting listed on the Australian Securities Exchange in 2009.
Myer shares fell 0.8 per cent yesterday to $1.845.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- Iran Leader Asks Muslims to Supply Arms to Palestine, Calls Israel ‘Rapacious Wolf’
- El Niño Update: 2014 Threat Easing, ‘Unlikely to be a Strong Event’ – Australia BoM
- “Women should not laugh in public” - Turkish Deputy PM says
- Opinion Poll in New Zealand Shows National Party Far Ahead in Popular Support
- Australia Asked National Media to Suppress Multi-National Corruption Case: WikiLeaks
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Alpha Leaks Online: Release Date, Five Features to Wait for New Smart Phone
- Photos of Motorola Moto X+1 Prototype and Specs Leak Online, Release Date, Four Fresh Features Revealed
- Sony Xperia Z3: Release Date, Five Features to Expect from New Android Smart Phone
- Freshly Leaked Apple iPad Air 2 Cases Confirm Touch ID Sensor; Release Date, Limited Specs and Price Listed
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date
- Twin Malaysia Airlines MH370, MH17 Aviation Disasters Create Phobia Among Travellers