Yankees News: Andy Pettitte Set to Return for New York, Could Start Next Week
September 13, 2012 6:55 AM EST
After spending two and a half months on the disabled list, Andy Pettitte is finally ready to play for the Yankees again.
The lefty hasn't pitched June 27, when he suffered a fracture in his leg against Cleveland. Pettitte now claims he's healthy enough to return to the mound.
"I'm ready," said the starter. "Just let me go out there and compete."
Pettitte threw 55 pitches in a simulated game on Wednesday afternoon. He said afterwards that he would be able to throw between 60 and 65 pitches if he takes the mound in five days.
New York manager Joe Girardi hasn't decided when to start Pettitte, but the southpaw said he'll do whatever the team wants. Pettitte claims his command is good and his leg feels fine. The only issue is his stamina.
After taking 2011 off, Pettitte looked like his old self through nine starts this season. He has just three wins, but had a 3.22 earned run average in May and June.
The Yankees rotation has had trouble since the veteran went down with his injury. On the day he got hurt, New York had an 8.5-game lead over Baltimore in the American League East. With 21 games left, the Yankees' lead has completely vanished and they are tied with the Orioles for first place.
The Yankees have suffered additional injuries in the rotation. Ivan Nova went on the disabled list with inflammation in his rotator cuff in late August. Team ace C.C. Sabathia has also had two stints on the disabled list.
Freddy Garcia and David Phelps have made starts in the injured players' absences. The two have been mediocre, at best, in the rotation.
Garcia has just five wins and a 5.19 ERA in 17 starts. Phelps has a 3.55 ERA, but has performed better out of the bullpen. He failed to get out of the fifth inning in his last two appearances.
If Pettitte takes the mound when he's ready to pitch again, he'll face the Blue Jays at Yankee Stadium on Tuesday, Sept. 18.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal On Roger Federer: ‘He’s A Good Person, A Fantastic Player And A Great Man On Court’
- Jeremy Lin’s Big Break: Steve Nash Out For The Season For The Los Angeles Lakers
- NBA News: Teammate Stresses Jeremy Lin's Importance To The Lakers
- Manny Pacquiao Is Better Than Floyd Mayweather Jr. In Basketball Claims Freddie Roach
- Chelsea FC: Mourinho Hints Cesc Fabregas Could Succeed John Terry As Club Captain
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions