Yankees News: Andy Pettitte Set to Return for New York, Could Start Next Week
September 13, 2012 6:55 AM EST
After spending two and a half months on the disabled list, Andy Pettitte is finally ready to play for the Yankees again.
The lefty hasn't pitched June 27, when he suffered a fracture in his leg against Cleveland. Pettitte now claims he's healthy enough to return to the mound.
"I'm ready," said the starter. "Just let me go out there and compete."
Pettitte threw 55 pitches in a simulated game on Wednesday afternoon. He said afterwards that he would be able to throw between 60 and 65 pitches if he takes the mound in five days.
New York manager Joe Girardi hasn't decided when to start Pettitte, but the southpaw said he'll do whatever the team wants. Pettitte claims his command is good and his leg feels fine. The only issue is his stamina.
After taking 2011 off, Pettitte looked like his old self through nine starts this season. He has just three wins, but had a 3.22 earned run average in May and June.
The Yankees rotation has had trouble since the veteran went down with his injury. On the day he got hurt, New York had an 8.5-game lead over Baltimore in the American League East. With 21 games left, the Yankees' lead has completely vanished and they are tied with the Orioles for first place.
The Yankees have suffered additional injuries in the rotation. Ivan Nova went on the disabled list with inflammation in his rotator cuff in late August. Team ace C.C. Sabathia has also had two stints on the disabled list.
Freddy Garcia and David Phelps have made starts in the injured players' absences. The two have been mediocre, at best, in the rotation.
Garcia has just five wins and a 5.19 ERA in 17 starts. Phelps has a 3.55 ERA, but has performed better out of the bullpen. He failed to get out of the fifth inning in his last two appearances.
If Pettitte takes the mound when he's ready to pitch again, he'll face the Blue Jays at Yankee Stadium on Tuesday, Sept. 18.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Kate Middleton's Pregnancy Hearsays: Possible Evidence Revealed [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
- Selena Gomez Turns 22 Today, Celebrates Early without Justin Bieber: Top 12 Interesting Facts About the Singer [SEE PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- No Kevin Love to Cleveland, Andrew Wiggins to Stay with Cavaliers
- Jeremy Lin Demands More Playing Time From Lakers Next Season
- $300 Million at Stake for Floyd Mayweather vs. Manny Pacquiao Showdown
- Roger Federer is ‘The Greatest of All Time' - Novak Djokovic’s Coach Boris Becker
- Rafael Nadal’s Retirement Plan Includes Becoming Pro Poker Player; Spaniard To Unveil New Serve at US Open
- Google Nexus 6 on Release Date Will Sport 2K Display Panel & Lower Price Tag – Report
- Motorola Moto G Vs. Xiaomi Mi3 – Low in Price, High -level Features
- Sony PlayStation 4 Outsells a Resurgent Xbox One in June
- Killer Xiaomi Mi4 at $369 Likely to Come With 5.0-Inch Display, Snapdragon 801 Processor, 3GB RAM and More
- End of Times Indicators: Japan’s Mount Fuji in ‘Critical State’ to Erupt, Could Affect At Least 1.2M People
- NVIDIA Shield Gaming Tablet with Tegra K1 SoC Reported to be Released on July 29
- BlackBerry Passport Video Leak, Release Date, Five Fresh Features to Anticipate [Watch YouTube Clip] --Reports