Jenny Packham Inspired By Sin City For Glitzy Spring 2013 Collection At Mercedes-Benz Fashion Week
By Nadine DeNinno | September 13, 2012 1:29 AM EST
What a day Tuesday was for designer Jenny Packham. Amidst all of the excitement on the day of her show at Mercedes-Benz Fashion Week in New York, Kate Middleton donned a bespoke dress by the British imported designer for the first day of her Diamond Jubilee tour. Packham told IBTimes the dress, a kimono inspired pale pink dress she wore in Singapore, was "very much a collaboration" with the Duchess of Cambridge, who frequently wears her dresses.
"The piece we did for her was especially for the tour and it was a bespoke piece," Packham said of the orchid-print dress perfect for a visit to The Singapore Botanical Gardens. "It was very much a collaboration, so it was great."
But for her Spring 2013 collection, Packham took a trip to Las Vegas, Nev. for inspiration but having never been there prior, was disappointed to find her presumptions of Sin City were not what she expected.
"I actually went to Las Vegas in April with my family and I think I was sort of very disappointed," the designer explained backstage after her show. "I think in my mind I had this sort of image of Sharon Stone at the early part of the Casino film or with The Rat Pack." Instead, Packham said she was "inspired by what it used to be," like the women caught in the heyday of the infamous Frank Sinatra, Dean Martin and Sammy Davis, Jr. 1960's Rat Pack.
"I looked into the sort of Rat Pack mascots which were Shirley McLaine, Lauren Bacall and Angie Dickinson," Packham said. "They were like these really kind of bold, spunky confident women who used to kind of hang out with the Pack as opposed to sort of sleep with them, I suppose. They didn't chase the pack, they ran with it."
That essence of those leading ladies in films like the original "Ocean's 11" who ruled the Strip and the casino scene came out in the glitz and glam that is signature Jenny Packham eveningwear. In black, silver, gold, white, waterfall blue and a muted sunset tangerine, striking monotones were paired with geometric embellished Swarvoski crystals in both swinging mini dresses as well as body-con full lengths gowns of silk crepe and silk chiffon. Details like capped sleeves with either ladylike round, V-neck and bateau necklines added demure elegance just like the women who inspired her maintained. The show-stopping finale dress, a white silky gown with a rhinestone cape attached to the shoulders, added the modern edge the young-guns like Minka Kelly, Lauren Conrad and Jordana Brewster who were sitting front row, look for.
"We took a lots of inspiration from the early 60's, but obviously try to make it much more contemporary," Packham said afterwards. "It was just taking the ideas and make it fresh and young and pretty, which I hope we achieved."
Pretty, you hope? Understatement of the year.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- USA Defeats Lithuania, 96-68; Americans Advance To Championship Round Of 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Post Nude Photo Scandal, Jennifer Lawrence Is 'Powerful' Woman For Dior Campaign, Wears Inspirational Message T-Shirt [SEE VIDEO]
- French Designer Jean Paul Gaultier Quits Ready To Wear Segment To Focus More On Haute Couture [VIDEO]
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
- Kendall Jenner 'Bullied' By Models At New York Fashion Week
- David Beckham Launches New Belstaff Fashion Line And Admits That HIs Girls Harper and Victoria Make HIs Wardrobe Decisions
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Why Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Not The Best Smartphone To Purchase Now? If You Still Want To, Wait For A Month To Get It Cheap
- Apple iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 3 October Release Date Roundup: Freshly Leaked Protective Case Debuts Unique Vent Alongside Camera
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Countdown Begins Oct 8: 8 Killer Specs and Features to Expect
- Canadian IS Jihadist Wants to ‘Play Soccer’ with Heads of US Decapitated Soldiers
- Warning to U.S. – ISIS Has Shot Down a Syrian Regime Fighter Jet
- Spice Dream Uno vs Xiaomi Redmi 1S: Android One Smartphone to Challenge The Existing Budget Friendly Smartphone