Galaxy Nexus users have been treated to a flurry of Jelly Bean offerings in recent times, thanks to the device’s popularity among custom ROM developers and Android
fans alike Photo: Codename Android
Samsung Galaxy Nexus users have been treated to a flurry of Jelly Bean offerings in recent times, thanks to the device's popularity among custom ROM developers and Android fans alike. Based on JRO03L build of AOSP custom ROM, codename Android ports the latest Android 4.1.1 Jelly Bean update to the Nexus i9250.
Though, innumerable custom ROM releases have hit the Galaxy Nexus phone recently, AOSP-based Codename Android is touted as one of the fastest and smoothest custom ROMs available for Android smartphones including the Nexus i9250. Codename Android boasts a long-list of customisation features similar to its siblings AOKP and CyanogenMod 10 based Jelly Bean ROMs.
Key Points to Note
- The ROM and the instructions given in this guide are applicable for the Samsung Galaxy Nexus i9250 model only and will not work with any other device. Verify your device's model number by navigating to Settings > About phone. Attempting this procedure on incompatible devices may result in irreparable hardware damage to the unit.
- Further, the instructions provided in this guide are meant for reference purpose only and do not cover any warranty claims involving device damage or issues arising out of using the Jelly Bean update. Users are advised to proceed at their own risk.
- It is necessary to unlock bootloader and install ClockworkMod recovery on your Galaxy Nexus GT-i9250 before proceeding with the ROM installation procedure.
- Download the latest nightly version of Codename Android for your Galaxy Nexus phone from here.
- Download Google Apps (GApps) here.
- IBTimes UK advises you to backup apps, important personal data and settings (bookmarks, contacts, SMS, APNs and other internet settings) to avoid data loss while installing the Android 4.1.1 Jelly Bean update.
How to Install Codename Android Based Android 4.1.1 Jelly Bean Update on Galaxy Nexus i9250
Step 1: Without extracting, copy the Codename Android ROM and GApps package ZIP files to your phone's internal SD card.
Step 2: Power off your phone.
Step 3: Now, boot into ClockworkMod Recovery. To do this, press and hold down the Volume Up, Volume Down, and Power buttons together until your phone screen powers on. Highlight the Recovery mode option by using the Volume buttons and select it by hitting the Power button.
- NOTE: While in recovery, use the Volume keys to scroll up/down and the Power button to select an option.
Step 4: Do a NANDroid backup of your existing ROM. Choose Backup and Restore and tap Backup on the next screen. Wait until your phone takes a full backup of your ROM.
Step 5: Perform a full wipe as follows:
- Tap Wipe data/factory reset and hit Yes to confirm the action on next screen.
- Choose Wipe cache partition and confirm action on the next screen.
Step 6: Return to the main menu and hit Install ZIP from SD card, then tap Choose ZIP from SD card.
Step 7: Browse and select the Codename Android ROM ZIP file. Confirm the installation by clicking Yes on the next screen.
Step 8: Once the ROM is installed, repeat step 6. But, use the GApps ZIP file instead. Confirm installation on the next screen.
Step 9: Return to the main menu and hit Reboot system now to reboot your phone. The first boot is usually time consuming and should take about 5 to 7 minutes.
Codename Android ROM based AOSP Android 4.1.1 Jelly Bean is now successfully installed on your Samsung Galaxy Nexus GT-i9250.
[Source: Android Authority]
To contact the editor, e-mail: